I like Your Style: Glimpses of a Good Leader

Where are the differentiated, courageous, joyful, hope-filled, undefended, empowering, and powerful women and men who are willing to lead with nothing to lose? Sometimes it seems these leaders are nowhere to be found on global, national, nor local community levels. However, if one pays close attention, it turns out, there are some very good leaders right in our midst. I think I actually saw in the author of our current DLGP reading assignment this week, glimpses of a good leader.

Matthew Petrusek, author of Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture, is a professor of Catholic ethics and senior director of the Catholic educational organization, Word on Fire Institute.[1] His book, in a thorough explanation of current and past ideologies and their influences, seeks to “offer the culture an escape from hyper-politicization.”[2] He presents Catholic social thought as a path to moral truth and a way to Christ, the originator of truth.[3] Petrusek proposes that evangelization, though valid in many arenas of society, is particularly needed in the political sphere today. He comments, “In the end, evangelizing always involves going to where the people are, and where many people are today is stuck in a morass of increasingly aggressive political ideologies, each one seducing its adherents down varied paths to the same dead end: moral, spiritual, and yes, political futility. There is a better option.”[4]

I found Petrusek’s book and his interviews interesting, but beyond his subject matter, I found his leadership style compelling. Petrusek, an intelligent, well-read author and speaker, displays qualities of humor, joy, confidence, and courage and inspires his audience to further learning. In my opinion, he embodies many of the qualities of effective leaders that we have studied over the past two years. Some of these qualities include differentiation, joy, confidence, undefendedness, courage, hope, and the ability to empower others to grow into their potential. The following are ways in which I saw these qualities in Petrusek’s writings and interviews.

Differentiation

Petrusek appears quite differentiated in his leadership. Ed Friedman describes differentiation as “charting one’s own way by means of one’s own internal guidance system, rather than perpetually eyeing the “scope” to see where others are.”[5] Petrusek left a teaching career at a Catholic university after ten years, discouraged by the pressure to conform to values not his own. Unsupported by his academic setting and popular political messaging, he steadily adheres to his values and speaks what he believes to be true. His presence is unwavering in a highly volatile context.

Hope and Joy

Hope and joy are vital qualities for leaders. Eve Poole, in her book, Leadersmithing, notes that leaders must be able to hang on to hope, convey optimism, and inspire others to dream big.[6] Nicole Bianchi in Small Brave Moves believes leaders must be able to convey a “positive expectation of a better future.”[7] Warner and Wilder in Rare Leadership say,  “Leaders who learn to run on the fuel of joy find a sustainable source of motivation for themselves and others that never runs dry.”[8]

In watching Petrusek’s interviews, it was obvious that he had a sense of humor and laughed easily. Though he took his subject matter seriously, he didn’t seem to take himself too seriously. He conveyed bold optimism, saying, “Catholicism has deep, systematic, comprehensive, coherent, and rationally sound responses to these questions [of moral truth], as they relate both to the definition of the family and everything else in the sociopolitical sphere.”[9] When giving practical advice to evangelists in the political sphere, he said, “We have to be joyful,” not letting ourselves succumb to worry.[10]

Undefendedness, Confidence, and Courage

Simon Walker speaks of the power and freedom present in the leader whose posture is undefended, courageously living out his or her values and confidently operating as his or her authentic self. He says, “Freedom to perform comes from the knowledge that there is someone rooting for you in the audience, whose opinion you value more than anyone else’s and who is smiling and cheering just for you… Indeed, you can perform with nothing to lose…”[11]

Petrusek seems to be leading with nothing to lose. Despite opposition, he operates out of a strong faith in God and confidence in his calling. He expects to be criticized and yet, continues courageously and passionately in his work. Interestingly, though much of his focus is on apologetics, he maintains an undefended demeanor, which serves to invite people into the conversation, inspiring them to learn more.

The Ability to Empower Others

“Leaders are given for the development of individuals and the whole. These leaders are treasures in themselves…[drawing] out the treasure in others,” says Tom Camacho.[12] Petrusek does a great job of drawing out treasure in his audience. Though he speaks a bold message, his manner is not coercive. Personally, as I engaged his material, I felt motivated to learn more. Though I may not agree with everything to which he ascribes, I have a feeling that he would be able to have a sane debate with me in which we would both gain some insight. His leadership style appears empowering, inviting, and focused on discovering our potential as individuals and as a body.

Matthew Petrusek is leading courageously according to his values and faith in God, and steadily and confidently presenting hopeful alternatives to some of our cultural messages that for many people, lead to discouragement. In reading and watching Petrusek’s work, I am inspired to continue my learning process about effective ways to navigate our current political climate and on a larger scale, I am motivated to continue my journey in growing into a leader that points to fullness of life in Jesus.

[1] Matthew Petrusek in “Episode 107: Matt Petrusek: Politics as Idolatry,” with Marcas O Conghaile Muirthemne on More Christ, www.youtube.com, 0:30.

[2] Matthew Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture (Park Ridge, IL: Word on Fire Institute, 2023), 14.

[5] Edwin Friedman, A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix (New York, NY: Church Publishing, 1999), 194.

[6] Eve Poole, Leadersmithing: Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership (New York, NY: Bloomsbury Business, 2017), 91-93.

[7] Nicole Bianchi, Small Brave Moves (Potomac, MD: New Degree Press, 2021), 197.

[8] Marcus Warner and Jim Wilder, Rare Leadership in the Workplace: Four Uncommon Habits that Improve Focus, Engagement, and Productivity (Chicago, IL: Northfield Publishing, 2021), 30.

[9] Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology, 5-6.

[10] Petrusek with Marcas O Conghaile Muirthemne, 35:10.

[11] Simon Walker, Leading Out of Who You Are: Discovering the Secret of Undefended Leadership (Carlisle, UK: Piquant Editions Ltd, 2007), 102.

[12] Tom Camacho, Mining for Gold: Developing Kingdom Leaders Through Coaching (London, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 2019), 77.

Jenny Steinbrenner Hale

10 responses to “I like Your Style: Glimpses of a Good Leader”

Jenny,
    Several insights on Petrusek were right in front of our faces and you are the one to point it out. Great job…soon to be doctor! Petrusek does embody much of what Friedman writes in Failure of Nerve.

You give this example:

“Petrusek left a teaching career at a Catholic university after ten years, discouraged by the pressure to conform to values not his own.”

Excellent job incorporating the various books we have read in the DLGP!!

I listened to this authors lecture on Wokeism. I would be curious what your thoughts on this would be. It was very thought provoking. He shared with lazer focus and conviction. I know that our cohort would probably debate the points delivered.

Great Job Jenny!!
    Enjoyed this blog!

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi Kristy,

Thanks for reading and for your comments. I did not watch the lecture on Wokeism, but after your comments, I am interested! I will have to add this to my list of things to read, watch, and learn after graduation. There are so many things I want to follow up with and explore after we graduate! Our current readings that prompt us to reflect on where we are as a society, how we got here, and where we are going, have been particularly interesting!

Jenny,

I loved how you brought several of our previous authors to examine Petrusek’s book this week. I watched videos this week also, and one of them was interesting how it would flash books by other relevant authors in the upper corners as they applied to what was being said. Did you watch that one also? Your conclusion is lovely, “I am inspired to continue my learning process about effective ways to navigate our current political climate and on a larger scale, I am motivated to continue my journey in growing into a leader that points to fullness of life in Jesus.” You inspire me my friend!

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi Tonette, Thanks so much for reading and commenting and for your kind words. I did watch that video! Wasn’t that interesting? It was fun to see books we had read come up on the screen. As well, I wrote down the titles of a couple books I want to read later. Did you see any that you want to follow up with after graduation?

Hoping you have a great Easter! See you in a couple weeks.

Jenny,
    I appreciated the perspective you offered on Petrusek and his leadership style. Great job brining in other authors and approaches to leadership.
    I agree that style and demeanor go a long way in determining how a leader builds the kind of relationships that lead to change.
    What is one (or more) of the leadership qualities you try to embody as you lead your team?

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi Chad, Thanks for your thoughts and your question. I think one of the leadership qualities that I’ve really been working to bring to my team is to show up as a calm and present leader, sure of my values, undefended, and confident in my leadership style, and always valuing my teammates and their ideas. I feel like I’m still in process with this, but I’m seeing progress, which is nice. For many years, I was pretty quiet and didn’t always have confidence in sharing my ideas. It’s fun to be growing and yet, hanging on to humility. I so appreciate your question and the chance to ponder this!

Hoping you have a meaningful Easter! See you in a couple Mondays.

It did not occur to me to pay attention to his leadership qualities as an author when reading his book. Thank you for highlighting these Jenny! It is an invitation into being joy-filled, undefended, and self-differentiated. In light of this, how do we maintain this posture in the midst of a contentious time in our society (due to the 2024 election coming up)? People are angry, anxious, and very few people are playing fair in political dialogue. What are your thoughts on how we are to lead in such an environment?

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi David, Thanks for your comments and your question. Your questions are always deep and thought-provoking. This is a big one. It does seem like being joy-filled, undefended, and self-differentiated is so important for leaders today. It seems like we can set out to lead in this way and then, with one comment that offends us, we can turn on a dime and feel anxious and angry, ourselves.

I’m thinking of myself leading in this environment. What might be some ways I could hold on to these positive leadership qualities? Some things I could consider might be: making a decision at the beginning of each day or before I walk into a meeting, to be the person I want to be, no matter what happens. Maybe even rehearsing what this looks and feels like. Then, having someone that I can vent with and process hard situations with in private, to share frustrations. And, maybe continually reminding myself that God is bigger than our messes and wicked problems. I can continuously ask God for wisdom and can count on his love. Those are some simple thoughts, but I’d like to keep thinking on this. Thanks for the question, David!

Hoping you have a meaningful Easter. See you in class.

Amazing post Jenny! Thank you for spending so much time breaking it down! I loved how you incorporated many books!