Have you Heard the One About…?

I have been to the Holy Land of Israel nine times. I started touring there when I was in my mid-20’s and my most recent trip was leading 40+ people on what was called “Moses to The Messiah” – a journey beginning in Egypt, then crossing the Sinai desert, up into the Wadi Rum of Jordan, moving north like the children of Israel did (minus the wandering), and finally crossing over the Jordan River into the “Promised Land” of Israel. Our group then spent the final week walking where Jesus walked. Actually, it was more like running where Jesus walked, because we had a lot to cover in a short amount of time.

I love the land of Israel. I love the terrain, the food, the architecture, the combination of old and new, the smells of spice and fresh baked bread, and more than anything, the people. 

So, for a number of reasons I am grieved by the current war involving Israel and Hamas, and like so many, I am holding my breath as other entities enter the fray, such as the likes of Iran, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, and Hezbollah in Lebanon. The Middle East is a virtual powder keg, and has been for a very long time.

Now, I understand that Middle East relations are precarious, and far from simplistic. I also understand that folks can have varying opinions regarding what is happening there, why it is happening, and who is a fault. I also understand that world politics it is like playing a game of “Operation” – remember that game? With a shaky grip you use a tweezer to remove plastic body parts from an electrically charged operating table. Like world politics, it takes a very steady hand to not get shocked which ever way you move. And now, with the proliferation of social media, every one has a public opinion regarding the Middle East, in support of either Israel or Hamas. I guess I shouldn’t be “shocked,” but down deep I was, when I posted online about my support for Israel to defend itself against the attack of Hamas, only to discover others (some within my own congregation) that openly hold to the opposite narrative. They support Hamas, and believe Israel is committing genocide.

NOTE:  I want to pause and say (and I appreciate Kally Elliot engaging with me on this)…that I love the Palestinian people, and actually have a couple of dear Palestinian friends that I have been in contact with during this war. So, my post in support of Israel is in no way ‘against’ the innocent, loved by the Father, dear, dear people.

Therefore I resonate when Kenan Malik, in Not So Black and White, wrote:  “Central London. 22 March 2021. A march in support of Palestinian rights, following a week of Israeli bombing of Gaza in retaliation for Hamas firing rockets into Israel. And, on the march, a demonstrator holding a placard depicting Jesus carrying the cross on the way to crucifixion. Accompanied by the slogan “Do not let them [a reference to Jews] do the same thing again.” It was, as I [Malik] wrote on Twitter at the time, a ‘What the hell?’ moment” (Malik, 95).

That paragraph, from 2021, feels like it was ripped right out of the pages of 2024. Malik, in quoting comedian David Baddiel, goes on to highlight myths about the Jewish people, that they are ‘Christ-killers,’ and ‘murderers of all that is good and innocent an sacred in the world.’

Malik, and comedian David Baddiel agree in saying “antisemitism is the oldest racism in the world” (Malik, 95). And racism/bigotry can take on many forms, including that of humor.

In a 2022 article in The Jerusalem Post, author Aaron Reich explains that “Jokes about Jews have been found throughout history, many made by Jews themselves, who are no strangers to self-deprecating humor. However, antisemitism in comedy is alive and well.”

Jokes about Jews have been a part of comedy as far back as anyone can remember. Sure, Jews are often the ones making many of those jokes about themselves, and yet, far too often, jokes told about Jews can be offensive and harmful. Malik, spotlighting pre-eminent scholar of Jewish history, Salo Baron, when asked in 1961 how he would explain the ‘negative attitude which had existed for so many hundreds of years…against the Jewish people,’ replied:  ‘dislike of the unlike’ (Malik, 96).

Let that sink in.  Dislike of the unlike. 

How often we joke about those we don’t understand or are “unlike” us.

That may include but not be limited to (and I apologize at the onset if I am inaccurate in any of the following descriptions…) people of color, Jews, people with disabilities, gay/lesbian/transgender people, southerners, homeless/impoverished, prisoners, the elderly, etc. etc.  Martyn Percy calls these “Others.” Pragya Agarwal in Sway mentions ‘otherness’ as an explanation for why “we might create stereotypes, and why we take cognitive shortcuts” (Agarwal, 64).

Often times what we joke about is what we deeply hold within our heart and mind. Perhaps it’s (seemingly harmless) jokes about Jews being stingy and obsessed with money. Or the pendulum swings far to the other side with stinging attempts to negate the established facts of the Nazi genocide of European Jews.

Where is the line? Is it at Kanye West and his recent tirades against Jews in Hollywood? Is it at pretty much anything said by Dave Chappelle? Is it British-Irish comedian Jimmy Carr’s 2008 joke:  “They say there is safety in numbers. Tell that to six million Jews.”  Ouch. In 2021’s Netflix show Carr told another Holocaust joke:  “When people talk about the Holocaust, they talk about the tragedy and horror of six million Jewish lives being lost to the Nazi war machine. But they never mention the thousands of G*psies that were killed by the Nazis. No one ever wants to talk about that, because no one ever wants to talk about the positives.”

Ouch.

Was that a joke or dislike of the unlike?

My wife and I are currently binging the Disney/National Geographic miniseries “A Small Light” which spotlights Miep Gies in her efforts to help her Jewish employer Otto Frank, father of Anne Frank, as they go into a hiding place during World War II after the German invasion of the Netherlands. It’s a beautiful, and yes, even humorous, portrayal of Jewish people, and those that supported them during Hitler’s reign of terror. And that’s exactly what it was:  terror. No joke. The Holocaust was real, and jokes about it can hurt real bad. But where is the line between a joke and a jab? Between free speech and hate speech? 

I don’t know. But what I do know is that Jesus said in Matthew 12:34 that “the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”

Speaking of being full…have you heard the one about the mountain lion, after eating an entire bull, he felt so good that he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral is: when you’re full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

John Fehlen

John Fehlen is currently the Lead Pastor of West Salem Foursquare Church. Prior to that he served at churches in Washington and California. A graduate of Life Pacific University in San Dimas, CA in Pastoral Ministry, and Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, CA with a Masters in Leadership and Spirituality. He and his wife Denise have four grown children and four grandchildren. John is the author of “Intentional Impressions," a book for fathers and their sons, "Don't Give Up: Encouragement for Weary Souls in Challenging Times," a book for pastoral leaders, and "The Way I See You," a children's book. You can connect with John on Instagram (@johnfehlen) as well as on his blog (johnfehlen.com).

11 responses to “Have you Heard the One About…?”

1. Hey John. After reading your blog, the first word that came to mine is…prolific…and I don’t even know what prolific means! If it’s anything negative please forgive me. I love how you weave in culture your personal life and history into your blogs. Brilliant bro!

Since you have been to Israel 139 times, how do you deal with the jokes about Jews that might be a little off color? Basically, what I’m asking is, do you ever have to wrestle with anger toward the comedian or author of the newspaper article?

• mm John Fehlen says:

Quick note regarding an update to my post….

NOTE: I want to pause and say (and I appreciate Kally Elliot engaging with me on this)…that I love the Palestinian people, and actually have a couple of dear Palestinian friends that I have been in contact with during this war. So, my post in support of Israel is in no way ‘against’ the innocent, loved by the Father, dear, dear people.

The universal liberal value of free speech would say those kind of jokes may be in bad taste, but are perfectly acceptable to say (“you just don’t have to like them”).

I’m not so sure. At what point does free speech turn into a tool to sway others into believing and acting with hatred? What’s the line between the freedom to share an opinion or ideology, and the responsibility to not incite violence, and who gets to decide?

You bring up comedy and I think that is one of the hardest lines to draw, and certainly to enforce. On one hand comedians have always crossed lines and it’s part of what makes them funny (Mrs. Maisel, anyone?) but on the other hand, is there a hard line that shouldn’t be crossed, and if so, does that reality then shut down the whole industry?

I know these questions aren’t necessarily Malik related (maybe more Lukianoff or Mounk or…?) but since you brought it up I’m curious about your thoughts.

• mm John Fehlen says:

Quick note regarding an update made to my post…

John, I would love to learn more from you about your experiences in Israel. I have never been but would LOVE to visit! The trip you led sounds amazing.

So, our church/denomination is supportive of Palestine and in fact, I have some church members who ask for prayers each week for their dear Palestinian friends – who are losing members of their family. Last week, their teenage son stood next to his cousin as an Israeli soldier shot and killed him. Our church member was in tears as she told the story, asking for prayers.

You write that when you posted about your whole-hearted support of Israel to defend itself against the attack of Hamas, you were surprised to learn that others, even some in your own congregation, “support Hamas, and believe Israel is committing genocide.” What is interesting to me – and as I type this I realize what a privileged place I am writing from as I get to sit back and “wonder” or “be curious” about what is going on in Palestine and Israel, rather than LIVING it myself – but what is interesting to me is that both, you and I, are pastors of congregations, in Oregon, and I am seeing/receiving an entirely different narrative than you seem to be. Whether it be in my social media feed or through my denominational resources, or through his commentary on the current trip to Palestine the former moderator of our denomination is broadcasting through social media, right now, I am hearing, seeing, believing that we are not “supporting Hamas” but our hearts are breaking for the children, mothers, fathers, the people of Palestine who are being starved, killed, etc.

I hope this is not coming off as “I am right and you are wrong in your beliefs.” I am genuinely interested in the seemingly different narratives we are both hearing, seeing, living. I also realize that you have a long history of actually being on the ground there while I do not! So anyway, I’d love to learn more about your perspective – you know when we have all that extra time between pastoring a church and working on a doctorate.

• mm John Fehlen says:

Quick reply Kally – because your engagement with my blog sparked an important adjustment I need to make asap to my post….I too have some dear Palestinian friends, and I’m also really heart-broken my the loss of life. That wasn’t reflected in my post however. when I get a second today I’m gonna amend that. Thanks Kally.

• mm John Fehlen says:

Here’s my updated post comment…

4. Cathy Glei says:

John,
    Thank you for your post. you asked, “Where is the line between a joke and a jab? Between free speech and hate speech?” Such a good question to consider. Another category of jokes/jabs that came to my mind as I was reading your post was regarding hair color. More ouch! When does it stop?

5. mm Pam Lau says:

John,
    In light of the comments I am reading on all the posts, my question to you (and other pastors/leaders), is what is our responsibility in talking about the Middle East Conflict with clarity? What I mean by that is I see people in communities, churches, groups feeling a need to choose a side.

Hi John I know you have already moved on, but I wanted to catch up with you.

Your last comment is forever emblazoned on my mind. “Speaking of being full…have you heard the one about the mountain lion, after eating an entire bull, he felt so good that he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral is: when you’re full of bull, keep your mouth shut.”

Something like, “It is better to be thought of as a silent fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” Attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

Thanks for your first hand impressions with Israel.

Some fun U.S. Facts
    1. Anti-Coolie Act (1862): Aimed at reducing the competition between Chinese laborers and white laborers by imposing a tax on Chinese workers.
    2. Page Act of 1875: Considered one of the earliest immigration laws, it effectively prevented Chinese women from immigrating to the U.S. by classifying them as “undesirable,” targeting those suspected of prostitution or being brought for immoral purposes.
    3. Chinese Exclusion Act (1882-1943): This act was the first and only major federal legislation to explicitly suspend immigration for a specific nationality, prohibiting all immigration of Chinese laborers for ten years, which was later extended.

I have lived in Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Italy, Korea, Turkey and sideshows in Iraq. I attended church in all those places. In each I was welcomed by those who share my identity in Christ.

Nice.

Selah…

John, first of all, I’m glad you mentioned A Small Light. I haven’t heard many people talking about it, but it’s probably the best thing I’ve watched in the past few years. Loved it.

Secondly, you ask the question that’s been bugging me since we started on this cancel culture/free speech theme this semester: Where’s the line between free speech and hate speech? I appreciated Lukianoff’s (and others’) premise that free speech and rational discourse are the antidote to our society’s current craziness. At the same time, injustice can be perpetrated through words, either offensive or simply untrue. Any thoughts on where to draw the line? Or maybe how to find the balance is a better way to think of it?