Harmony and Dissonance

Less than two minutes was all it took. I was at a women’s retreat and they had just started worship. The sound was so bad that I did not even have the time to put in my earplugs. I ran out into the hallway, but it was too late. I could feel the migraine coming on like a freight train. I spent the rest of the weekend in my room and needed my friend to drive on the way home. I remember being frustrated and angry. How could anyone think it was okay to have the sound at that volume? I felt robbed of receiving anything meaningful from that weekend. That was by far my worst sound experience, but unfortunately not the first nor the last. Over the years, I have learned ways to cope. I always carry a pair of earplugs, but often, especially at conferences, I end up sitting outside somewhere away from the cacophony.

My husband will tell you that a good sound person is the one who goes unnoticed. When the sound is off or there are technical difficulties, the sound person always hears about it. We may not recognize good quality when we hear it, but without dissonance causes a multitude of complaints. I asked on social media once, after a particularly loud conference, why so many churches feel the need to run the music so loudly. One friend who works in the music industry explained that most church sound people do not have the experience required to get a room just right. Most are simply volunteers doing the best they can. The result is that often the sound mix is off balance in some way, creating discord, and likely to trigger a migraine for me.

In his book, The Sound of Leadership, Jules Glanzer describes leadership in similar terms. “Like sound, leadership is also complex, complicated, and consequential.”[i]

The Harmonious Leader

His analogy compares with my experience of sound. When the person running the sound board has everything tuned in just right, not too hot, and the levels do not blast my eardrums, I am able to enter into worship. I enjoy the experience of being a part of the collective. The leader who is in tune with the Spirit creates a space of growth, of beauty, and of harmony. Glanzer writes, “Music and leadership are creative, life shaping, inspiring, and relevant expressions of the One who influences the world.”[ii]

The Dissonant Leader

When the sound is bad, I run from the room, often hurt by the encounter. A bad leader will often leave a trail of broken and hurt people in their wake. Glanzer writes, “The leader practicing the acoustical art of leadership is continually fine-tuning the sound for a harmonious rendition.”[iii] The dissonant leader either does not know how to fine tune or does not try.

Case Study

At the end of each chapter, Glanzer writes a Kingdom Takeaway. At the end of chapter 14, he states:

Reflect on God’s call on your life and leadership. Using the questions in this chapter, take time to create a case study of yourself. What do you learn about yourself?[iv]

While a full case study, answering all the questions he poses would take far longer than this short blog, I would like to answer one of these questions.

What personal issue is always present in your life?[v]

Not a day goes by that I am not aware of my shunt or potential migraine triggers. One of my tools to help is that I have a decibel meter on my phone. My husband has told me that it is inaccurate. I know this, but using it gives me a standardized means of measuring sound on my own. My own interpretation of how loud the volume is changes depending upon how sensitive I am to sound at the moment. By using my decibel meter, I can gauge if the sound really is higher or if I am particularly sensitive. It helps me to know when the issue is my own perception or if it is something larger that should be addressed.

Glanzer states, “Like sound frequency and intensity, leadership is interpreted in many ways.”[vi] My experience with sound helps me to understand that how I interpret leadership is also dependent upon my particular sensitivities at any given moment. In this respect, I am also able to care for others with the same perspective. We all have struggles; we all have times when our perceptions are clouded. As leaders, we must understand where others are at in order to lead well. Glanzer describes it, “Listen, See, Learn, Do, Love. These five words are the scape from which all leadership happens.”[vii] If we are able to understand and practice these five words, we will be better leaders, leaders who seek first the Kingdom of God.

[i] Jules Glanzer, The Sound of Leadership: Kingdom Notes to Fine Tune Your Life and Influence. (Plano, TX: Invite Press, 2023), xxiv.

[ii] Ibid., 38.

[iii] Ibid., 72.

[iv] Ibid., 106.

[v] Ibid., 104.

[vi] Ibid., 92.

[vii] Ibid., 2.

Becca Hald

Becca is an ordained Foursquare minister, serving as the Online Community Pastor at Shepherd's House Church. She has over twenty-five years of leadership experience both inside and outside the church. Becca has served her community in many capacities ranging from Administrative Assistant and Children’s Ministry Director to Secretary and President of multiple school organizations. She and her husband, Andrew have been married for over 25 years. They have two adult children, Drew and Evelyn. Her great passion is to equip others, to raise awareness about mental health, and to help reduce the negative stigma surrounding mental health issues. In her free time, she loves going to Disneyland, reading, sewing, and making cards.

8 responses to “Harmony and Dissonance”

Becca,
    You illustrated this so well with describing your experience… the sound person who is facilitating worship. This provided and excellent description of our your sensitivity to sound.

I found myself thinking that this is exactly what I need:
    Glanzer states, “Like sound frequency and intensity, leadership is interpreted in many ways.”[vi] My experience with sound helps me to understand that how I interpret leadership is also dependent upon my particular sensitivities at any given moment. In this respect, I am also able to care for others with the same perspective.

I am needing to be sensitive to others and the sound that I am projecting. I would like for it to be a sweet sound ….not like a blast/clanging cymbals.

Great post!

Thank you Kristy. Music is so much a part of my life, I really enjoyed this book. One of my favorite analogies of the Body of Christ is of a symphony – we each have our part to play and it is in the harmony of our differences that creates a beautiful melody.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with intense sound setting off a migraine. I am sorry this has been a reality for you to live with. But this has certainly given you insight into what Glanzer writes about. Being sensitive to the people around us, the people we lead, is nonnegotiable for good leadership. Do you have an example of a leader who was not “tuned-in” to the people who followed him or her? And do you have an example of a good leader who listened?

• mm Becca Hald says:

Thank you David. I often say that I would rather live with a migraine every day of my life than think for a second that I can do anything without God. I am grateful for the reminder that God is my strength.

As for leaders are are and are not “tuned-in,” I would say my pastor a great example of a leader who is and a former boss of my husband is one who is not. Several years ago, we sold our church building and moved to a larger facility. Throughout the entire process, my pastor took it slow and made room for the congregation to be a part of the decision and process. He did not do this in a way that there were too many voices, but more giving people time to process the decision, and be invested in the new property. He listened to the needs of the congregation and addressed them in a compassionate manner.

On the other hand, my husband had a boss a number of years ago who was new to the organization. This man came in and completely changed things to his way of thinking and doing things without any consideration to the people who had been working there for years. It became a negative environment in which to work and my husband eventually left that position because of this boss.

4. Caleb Lu says:

Becca, thanks for the illustration, I’m constantly reminded that the tech and A/V people are logistically the most important people at service, especially with widespread streaming now too!

I’m curious if you have methods, like your decibel meter, to determine whether or not to bring something up that feels off. I’ve always struggled with the appropriate ways and times to bring up poor leadership.

• mm Becca Hald says:

Thank you Caleb. I think it goes back to what Glanzer says in the book – listening. When it comes to sound, I rarely say something unless I also hear other people saying the same thing. I listen and pay attention to those around me. It also depends on the venue. If I am at my church, I feel more comfortable to say something. If I am at a conference, I might say something to the staff, but more likely I will simply leave the auditorium until worship is over. I think listening and paying attention to the people around me is hugely important. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat outside during worship, all alone, watching people come and go around me and no-one stops to say anything to me. It can feel so lonely and isolating.

When it comes to poor leadership, I think it is very similar – what am I hearing from the people around me? Active listening and being a place where people feel safe enables me to hear what needs to be addressed. Then I find the right opportunity to address it – at a staff meeting, one on one, or on a phone call. I try to highlight the positive, rather than express the negative. It is not easy, but I am learning and growing.

Becca,

Than you for sharing this difficult journey. I appreciated the connection to Glanzer’s book and leadership. Honestly, this broken my heart as I thought about the musical settings that you are not able to engage in when they are central to many of our worship gathering. To help a sound person gain awareness, what is one piece of advice would you offer to create spaces that are welcoming to all people to engage in?

• mm Becca Hald says:

Thank you Chad. I would say that more is not always better, and neither is louder. One of the sweetest times of worship I experienced at a conference was when the power went out and we sang a cappella. I think many, especially inexperienced, sound people go with louder rather than fuller sound. The sound can fill the room without blowing out our ear drums.