Falling Apart? Or Falling into Place?

I enjoyed Campbell’s book on a Hero with a Thousand Voices. Campbell challenges his audience to move from a fixed mindset and cross the threshold of adventure in how we communicate to others. An invitation to leaders to leave what is comfortable and come into transformation. Campbell, took a different approach in his studies of mythology and delivered it in a modern way that many audiences, directors, inspirational speakers adapted to this new approach or delivery. At one time or another, a leader will be challenged to push through comforts into new thresholds of understanding. To put this simply, to die to old ways (self) so new ways can begin.

You can break down Campbells book into five main categories.

1. The Monomyth
  2. The Threshold
  3. The Boon
  4. The Makers of Legend
  5. The Hero

We can relate this method or story of our time here at George Fox in our Doctoral of Leadership and Global Perspectives. Through this process, we will come into a new threshold. We are assigned a mentor to walk out this new adventure in our journey together. In the process there is the death/rebirth that each student will go through. Transfomation through a growth mindset is a process that must take place in each student/leader for us to come into the new leader that we will be at the end of the Doctoral Program. In the end, we will return to our churches, organizations, businesses as a new and transformed leader.

As a pastor, I would like to break down Campbell’s book into three main categories or points.

1. Called
  2. Quest
  3. Return

Many of us accept the calling on are lives to be ministers or leaders. We see throughout the Old Testament, that God would call someone by their name, and they would respond with “Here I am.” Or how I like to say, to be present spirit, soul, and body. But we also learn from Hebrews 13:20-21 that God equips the called. “Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

In point two, we engage in a quest process that happens to us. Often times, things become so uncomfortable in our lives that it forces change in our life or ministries. For me, this was my fall season during my Cape Town advance. During this time, I had to fulfill my requirements, traveling to S. Africa (Quest). However my circumstances were not normal, my dad had recently passed away. My plans for purchasing a bigger facility fell through.

I had to tell an orphanage in Ukraine of 38 youth that I no longer could house them or attend our school because the purchase on the new facility fell through. My daughter with down syndrome was extremely sick and in the ICU. Everything was going wrong at the church while I was in Cape Town. I was at an all time low with my emotions, I felt defeated for the first time in a long time. In any quest, we have the opportunity to abandon the quest, or press through and come into a new mindset.

In the end, we return as a new and improved leader to those we love and serve. By being willing to be uncomfortable and step through the crucible of change, we can then be that leader, example, and inspiration we always desire and strive to be. Through this, we can see there is a hero in all of us.

[1] Campbell, J. (2012). The hero with a thousand faces (3rd ed.). New World Library.

[2] Hebrews 13:20-21

Greg McMullen

Pastor Greg resides in Lake Stevens WA and pastors a small rural church in the Machias area . The Well Church has a large food ministry in which many different cultures come each week to gather food and counsel. The Church has a small school that is bearing good fruit. Pastor Greg has a large family of 10 children and enjoys fishing and hiking.

6 responses to “Falling Apart? Or Falling into Place?”

1. mm David Beavis says:

Greg, thank you for your honesty and wisdom. I remember your time in Cape Town being a reprieve from set backs, daily demands, and health issues. Yet I am also saddened that while you were away, it was as if things were falling apart in your absence. But I am deeply encouraged by your final words, “In any quest, we have the opportunity to abandon the quest, or press through and come into a new mindset. In the end, we return as a new and improved leader to those we love and serve.” I like being comfortable. But I know that a growth-mindset and getting out of my comfort zone is necessary to become a better leader. I sincerely wish growth and change wasn’t painful. But I am learning to embrace the challenge and pain as a gift from God in my own transformation into the pastor I need to be. The hero returns from the adventure, through all of its challenges, changed. Over the past few months, what are the ways you have changed due to the journey you have been on?

I am encouraged by your post, Greg.

2. Caleb Lu says:

Greg, I’m always so thankful for how honest and open you are in your posts and whenever we get to chat at the advances. Even as you share of your low points, I know your adventure is not done yet. Looking forward to some posts or conversations in the future about how God is continuing to work mightily through and in you!

3. mm Chad McSwain says:

Greg,

Thank you for your honesty. There are so many challenges in ministry, especially because this a work from our very heart and lives. Not to mention, the person and family challenges. Thank you for sharing these.

What comfort or understanding does it give you to see your life within the framework of a hero’s journey? How might it encourage you to press through to the stages that await?

Many blessings to you

4. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Greg,
    Your openness and transparency is a gift.

Do you think it is possible for a hero (any person) to go through crucibles of fire and come out refined or purified without divine intervention?

5. mm Becca Hald says:

Thank you Greg for your openness. I enjoy getting to know you. Your faith in God is evident and shines through your words and actions. You wrote, “By being willing to be uncomfortable and step through the crucible of change, we can then be that leader, example, and inspiration we always desire and strive to be. Through this, we can see there is a hero in all of us.” You are a hero and the way you lead, willing to sit in the uncomfortable, is an example to all of us. How has enduring these challenges and trials shaped you for the upcoming season of pastoring?

6. Alana Hayes says:

I love your positivity in multiple hard situations. I know it’s hard to both buckle down and trust but you did a great job!