Examined and Re-examine.

‘Even one glass of wine a day raises the risk of cancer’
‘Hate crimes have doubled in five years’
‘Fizzy drinks make teenagers violent’

“How to Read Numbers: A Guide to Stats in the News.” (Tom Chivers & David Chivers)

I was not able to get my book in time for the readings therefore, I had to listen to the “CapX Live with Tom Chivers” in an online live event that he was interviewed by Robert Colvile to get some basic idea of their (Tom Chivers & David Chivers) book summary, “How to Read Numbers.” In this zoom interview, Tom Chivers mentioned that one of the reasons that inspired them to write the book was when they heard all these statistics that seem to be doctored to fit or support whatever they (media) wanted to report. One example that he was referring to be the “spike in suicide rate.” So, the takeaway for me from this summary is that media, information reported, or information that is presented can be altered due to the bias of the presenter. Not all, but it is a good reminder for us all to be aware of!

One example of media reporting bias that was mentioned in the book by Tom Chivers and David Chivers was the suicide rate that was reported. According to the Chivers, the stats reported was cherry-picked to support the point that the writer/reporter to make, they believed that some numbers were omitted to make the graph or graphic look the way they wanted.

Another element that could contribute to the unaware misreporting of information is our own individual biases. Dushaw Hockett in his Ted talk, “We all have implicit bias. So, what can we do about it,” showed us that we all can be bias by giving these three characteristics of implicit bias: “(a.) bias operates at subconscious level, (b.) bias run contrary to our stated belief, and (c.) bias is a rapid and mental association (2017, Dushaw).” I found myself in this situation many times. At one time I was introduced to two Micronesian citizens, one was a former rancher sniper instructor and the other is a commercial airline pilot; both of these gentlemen came from the smallest State in Micronesia. Due to my implicit bias, standing in the presence of these two gentlemen, I would never guess what they are or were.

At the beginning of this week, I got a call from my son’s school, I was told that my son is to be placed in the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and later in the school year he would be taking a test before he can be placed in the regular English classes. Immediately, I feel discriminated, or I felt my son was discriminated against. I responded to the teacher and let them know that I am grateful that they consider giving extra attention to my son, however, my son was born and raised in Oregon. He did not speak my native language and moreover, he has never been to my Micronesia. I believe that the only person that would be placed in the ESOL would be myself because I was born and raised outside the United States and because I have a Pacific Islander’s accent. This profiling of my kid was based on his parents rather on him and it is inaccurate!

A Silicon Valley tech CEO and a speaker, Valerie Alexander, appealed to her audience during her TED talks, “How to Outsmart Your Unconscious Bias,” that you can deal with your unconscious bias by continually asking or examining your behavior (2018, Alexander).”  She used the examples in which (a.) how she and a male colleague had a dialogue, and (b.) how we were assuming certain people with certain job descriptions. She emphasized that one way you could be aware of your unconscious bias is to keep examining your behavior. This takes me back to mental association I had when I met the two Islanders (Micronesian), I imagine people living in the islands. In the Islands, we don’t own airplane therefore there would be no pilots. Or my kid’s school, since my son was national of the Federated States of Micronesia, then English would be his second language. I believe that if we continual “examine our behavior” as suggested by Valerie Alexander, we could fight against our unconscious bias. In the context of leadership, it is a must that we examine ourselves and our behavior regularly to stand against this unconscious bias!

References:

Chivers, T. (2021, Apr.). CapX Live with Tom Chiver. Online Live with Robert Colvile. (https://youtu.be/iJWwuE2IKF4

Hockett, D. (2017, Sept.). We all have implicit bias. So What can we do about it? [Video]. TED Conference. https://youtu.be/kKHSJHkPeLY.

Alexander, V, (2018, Oct). How to Outsmart Your Own Unconscious Bias. [Video). TED Conference. https://youtu.be/GP-cqFLS8Q4

Noel Liemam

2 responses to “Examined and Re-examine.”

1. Ha – what an interesting yet simple piece of instruction, to “examine and re-examine” yourself, your bias and more in order to be continually improving. You know I haven’t really thought about it but there are probably some books from prior educational journeys I should go and read again because while I have examined them once, I have not re-examined them ever and I bet there is some refreshing and new learning I could glean from them.

So my question for you, Noel, is regarding your son, after having examined the situation and now had a few days (weeks?) to sit with it, when you re-examine it, what conclusions are you coming to?

I appreciate what you are saying Noel. Being able to take a good look at ourselves at leader is crucial. Self Awareness is crucial to being truly present with others. I also think what you are saying about self-examining is crucial to leaders as a way to check ego! Should be a required part of leadership, thank you Noel for talking about this!