Ethnography our new word of the day…

I like to think I know have a vast knowledge about many things.  Growing up I would watch the T.V. show Cheers with my father.  One of the characters was named Cliff Claven.  Cliff was a Postal worker who had a vast knowledge of a great many things, but it was all surface level, he did not really have knowledge to back up his explanations.  I felt a little like Cliff in that I thought I could figure out what Visual Ethnography was just by word association. Visual, something to look at, ethnography, ethnic people.  So looking at ethnic people right?  Not so much, I actually enjoyed learning something that is outside of my knowledge base in Sarah Pink’s book Doing Visual Ethnography.  I was especially interested in chapter 4 Photography In Ethnographic Research because I felt it was the meat of the book.

“Why should researchers in the social sciences focus their attentions on visual methods?  There are two compelling reasons for becoming a ‘visualista’.  Firstly, that the visual is recognized as central to the human condition and to expressions of humanity which pre-date language, affecting our emotions, identities, memories and aspirations in a most profound way.  We are visual beings in a world which is a visual array of meaning.  Secondly, despite this, social sciences have undervalued the visual, or relegated its use to mere subsidiary illustrations to written text.”[1] In his review of Pink’s book Stephen Spencer asks why we should even focus on visual methods.  The two reasons are compelling.  Humans are nothing if we are not visual as seen in the picture below.  We have used drawings and visual representations to color our culture for as long as we have been here.

To deny  the use of visual representation is to deny our very existence.  The second reason is because of the first.  Our recorded representation of what we see should not merely be a side note to what we research.  It is not to say the written word is not valuable.  It is, and it is the reason we have been able to advance to where we are today.  Communication is vital, but to say visual communication is not necessary would be a mistake.

In Picture This: A Review of Doing Visual Ethnography: Images, Media, and Representation in Research by Sarah Pink Diana Riviera states

“To Pink (2001), visual ethnography is not simply combining words to produce a desired result. Pairing narrative with photographs and video assists the researcher in documenting and symbolizing the self-representations of the participants. Photography and video also afford the researcher the ability to present a visual sequence of a particular chronology ”

What better way do we have to focus on our world around us than through media which is so available.  I can learn about the culture of Cambodia by reading what someone has written, but aside from actually going, and immersing myself in the culture, I now have the ability to look at the daily life of a village through visual ethnography.

Pink discusses the value of being a visual ethnographer in getting to see the real life of the subject.  This does not always happen just by taking pictures or video.  She gives as example from Shanklin in discussing her role as an ethnographer “she learnt, by observing people’s domestic displays of family photography, that photographing children was an appropriate activity”[2], by doing this she learned how to integrate herself in the the local community and could photograph what she had intended.  On the opposite end of the spectrum where instead of integrating into the culture to be studied and then taking taking pictures or video, Donna Schwartz “began her research by photographing  the physical environment of Waucoma…photographing the buildings to inform the residents of her presence” [3]  She was able to use this to introduce herself and create curiosity in the community which helped her find what was needed for the research.

Pink also discusses the difference between a ‘cultural inventory’ as opposed to visual ethnography.  She argues against Collier and Collier who said that by inventorying through photography one could understand the culture of the home but Pink argues that there is no way to understand how the objects were experienced by the culture and what their meanings were.[4]  She argues “combining photographic surveys with a subjective collaborative approach brings benefits”.[5] That instead of just a picture they bring a point of view, either of the photographer or the subject or both.  In my estimation this is a much deeper aspect to a story, just words can be lacking, just pictures or video can leave one wanting.  When both are combined in a visual ethnography they can draw those who see them into the conversation about the culture.

There is one issue which can plague a visual presentation, when the authenticity of the picture or the video is called into question.  In the digital age it is very easy to manipulate any media to show or say that which is not.  In his book, Image-based Research: A Sourcebook for Qualitative Researchers, John Prosser argues:

From its beginnings photography has made a claim on science which has allowed it to be considered as evidence. Yet from the beginning this claim has been, in some sense, too strong, the opportunities for manipulation too great, to allow the photographic image to stand, of itself, as evidence of the external world. As the archive of great photographs is combed for traces of inauthenticity and as the possibilities of digital image manipulation sunder any connection between the camera and the things it photographs, the illusion of evidence is ending.[6]

As one uses visual arts to show and speak on culture the author would do well to leave the manipulation out (unless is is for clarity) and let the images speak for themselves.  If it does not match what one expected, so be it.  It is better to be truthful in our presentation of the world, especially as Christians, than to be found to be misrepresenting or flat out lying to the audience.  To do so brings question into everything one has done or will ever do.

Sarah Pink’s treatment of the visual opportunities is worth the read.  In doing so, one can move into a realm of communication with the world around us and help us to understand one another just a little better.  In her review of Pink’s work Laurie Mullen writes,

Sarah PINK has made a solid contribution to qualitative research in an era of increasing interest and ubiquity of images both traditional and digital. Graduate students will find this textbook helpful in the general philosophies of the qualitative tradition and specifically in the nascent understandings and implementation of visual methods.[7]

This is a good assessment of the work.  Take the time to understand your world and how you may fit into it, and in doing so you may be able to make a case for influencing it for Christ.

[1]Stephen Spencer Visual Research Methods in the Social Sciences: Awakening Visions, (Routledge, New York, NY, 2011). 1.

[2] Sarah Pink, Doing Visual Ethnography, 3rd edition (Los Angeles: SAGE, 2013). 79.

[3] Ibid 79.

[4] Ibid 80.

[5] Ibid 81.

[6] John Prosser ed.  Image-based Research: A Sourcebook for Qualitative Researchers. (Falmer Press, London, 2003). 60.

[7] Mullen, Laurie (2001). Review: Sarah Pink (2001). Doing Ethnography: Images, Media and Representation in Research [8 paragraphs]. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research3(1), Art. 9, http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0114-fqs020197.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

9 responses to “Ethnography our new word of the day…”

Jason,
    I agree that humans are attracted to art, to pictures and to beauty. I have been in a place that I needed to teach or share about China. I, of course, used video and images of work, people, and culture. When putting together these videos I have to be careful to portray life, events, culture as acutely as possibly. There is sometimes a temptation to over dramatize certain aspects of this adventure. I think we all understand the tension of being true to stories we tell. Thanks Jason for you insight.

• Jennifer Williamson says:

Right?!? Over dramatize or even over-glamorize. Mission trip photos can often glorify the missionary and almost de-humanize the culture in which they are ministering. I struggle with this point, Greg. A lot.

• Jason Turbeville says:

I have had to be careful do not do the same thing when putting together presentations on mission trip reports or when trying to get people to give to a cause. I try not to make it so that I am manipulating.

Jason,

You are correct in assessing the ancient historical nature of images in comparison to words. Your 1st image reminds us that images were in fact the first means of communication and early written language was often a series of images, as in ancient Egypt and cultures in South America. Words have certainly taken over in academia now though, maybe to the detriment of our universal understanding. What if our dissertation could be a picture book? Now there is an idea.

BTW – I feel like Cliff most of my life.

• Jason Turbeville says:

I always wanted to be Norm…the guy everyone knew but most of the time, just Cliff. A picture book dissertation, that is something I could get behind.

3. Jason,

Your mention of using image truthfully resonated with me. We lament over #fakenews. We ought also to lament over fake image. Photoshop has changed the way we view our bodies. When even gorgeous models are photoshopped to appear thinner or to erase blemishes, the bar has been heightened and our entire culture is depressed because it can never measure up to these impossible standards.

I liked how a new law has been passed in France that insists on full disclosure when images have been tampered with.

http://mashable.com/2017/09/27/photoshop-models-france-body-image/#Qfh5cyWTckqX

• Jason Turbeville says:

I remember when that law was passed and really do wish it was here as well. The damage that is done to young people and old is just devastating.

Hi Jason,

Great pictograph picture!

I centered on your talk about “authenticity” in visual ethnography. I am with you on that one. I think this is such a big deal. Folks manipulate media all the time. You can make a picture say almost anything. I appreciate you bringing this strong point to light. Well done.