Edge Living

The best version of Tammy Dunahoo is when I live on the edge of the quarter, the old kind with George Washington’s head on one side and the eagle’s wings on the other. I have what some might see as a strange hard-wiring as there is a practical, analytical, thinker (“heads”) on one side and a creative, visionary, “anything is possible” free thinker on the other (“tails”). I learned fairly early in adulthood that my best self is staying on the edge between the two.

It is from that narrow space that I found great appreciation for Derek Rowntree’s, Learn How to Study: Developing the Study Skills and Approaches to Learning That Will Help You Succeed in University.[1] He gives pages and pages of helpful nuts and bolts, practical tools for students to get the most out of their educational experiences on one side, but has just as much philosophical encouragement to consider the reason for study on the other. Just when I was about to slide too far over into George’s image, he would remind us that no one is born a student, we grow into one and I would be drawn back up to the edge.

As I look back through the highlighted notes I realize I am doing better with Adler’s concepts regarding how to read.[2] Yet, Bayard completely eluded me this week as I found the practical tips just too important to “not read.”[3]  While I find great value in Bayard’s concepts to open my mind (take flight), at the same time I cannot find peace in thinking I never need to read again. Thinking about my heads and tails quandary, it is almost as if I could place Adler on one side and Bayard on the other and let Rowntree fill the edge space. This type of thinking and living helps me stay in the realm of the both/and rather than either/or.

Though edge living is a narrow space, it gives me a broadened perspective and I am learning to stay in that space more with my reading, study, thinking and living. Edge living is the balance of practical lessons to enhance skill, the “how” on one side, and the reminder of the “why” of study on the other.

The edge perspective also aids in creating healthy habits. As Rowntree reminds us, “You are not just a student, but also a human being, living and working among others.”[4] Another aspect of this two sided-coin that helps with this perspective is grit and self-control. Both are essential through this three-year (hopefully) journey of perseverance and managing all that goes into life as a doctoral student.[5] Grit keeps us from          quitting and self-control keeps us with a modicum of healthy life and family along the way.

Rowntree begins and ends his work with one of my core values, life-long learning. He attaches it to the practicality of becoming or staying employable on one side and the ability to draw out significance from life experiences on the other. “The more experienced we become, the more capable we are at detecting significance in a new experience (or even in an old experience revisited).”[6] Both of these perspectives are important to keep the “why” in view. Being employed may last a few decades, but the ability to gain significance from each experience is a lifetime benefit. “In general, it is better to have more than one purpose in studying. The more reasons you can find for doing what you have to do, the more energy you’re likely to put into it — and the more you are likely to get out of it.”[7]

Rowntree’s work helped me gain perspective once again…back to the edge!

[1] Derek Rowntree, Learn How to Study: Developing the Study Skills and Approaches to Learning That Will Help You Succeed in University — a Virtual Tutorial with Professor Derek Rowntree, 6 ed. (Amazon Digital Services: Kindle Edition, 2016).

[2] Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren, How to Read a Book (New York: Touchstone, 1972).

[3]Pierre Bayard, How to Talk About Books You Haven’t Read (New York: Bloomsbury, 2009).

[4] Rowntree, Kindle Loc. 273.

[5] Rowntree, Kindle Loc. 350.

[6] Rowntree, Kindle Loc. 6710.

[7] Rowntree, Kindle Loc. 461.

Tammy Dunahoo

Tammy is a lover of God, her husband, children and grandchildren. She is the V.P. of U.S. Operations/General Supervisor of The Foursquare Church.

6 responses to “Edge Living”

As we have talked about many times in the past one of the reasons I love cohort style learning is because you get to learn not just from the teacher but from other students. The last quote, “In general, it is better to have more than one purpose in studying. The more reasons you can find for doing what you have to do, the more energy you’re likely to put into it — and the more you are likely to get out of it”, spoke to me at a deep level.

I have never thought of doing this as a student. Usually, the goal is singular as in getting to the finish line of the degree but what would happen if we tied more reasons to the process? I shall now go off into a corner and process this :). Thanks for the encouraging post.

Tammy, I think as an older student, I am obviously not thinking about advance studies to get a better job. So knowing the “why”, which I constantly get asked, becomes important. There is something about lifelong learning that makes that intrinsic drive possible. I am constantly trying to balance, as you implied between the drive to know more, and the ability to get the task done in a timely manner. It’s always a struggle, and there is always a temptation to go back to what you know. But thank God for new ways of doing things. Prayerfully, we can live in the edge as you call it and accomplish our goals.

Tammy,
    I really like your image of edge living. While living on the edge can connote wild-west, go-for-it-at-all-costs imagery, I find your application very practical and life giving. Perhaps in all of us we swing between two primary poles. For me, it is a single-minded advance into “battle” versus the strategic analytical process of “counting the cost.” Balancing our primary poles in edge living is a construct I want to ruminate on and find how to apply in my doctoral learning process. I find your utilization of Adler on one side of the coin with Bayard on the other, with Rowntree balancing them out on the edge most intriguing. While I am not sure I totally get the construct, I find it most interesting how you have developed this construct to aid your learning process. Finally, your reminder of Rowntree admonishing us to keep the “why” ever in view is both insightful and perhaps somewhat prophetic. It is so easy to lose ourselves not only in content but also in process that we forget the “why”. His “why” calms us and comforts us for the unavoidable twists and turns ahead. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, H

4. Digby Wilkinson says:

Adler’s, ‘how to read a book, and Bayard’s, ‘how to talk about books not read’, is now topped off with Rowntree’s, ‘how to learn rather than just study’. Together they are a sort of trinitarian trifecta in the world of education. I know what you mean when you think about sitting comfortably between two spaces – so the question is, what’s you’re natural space to inhabit? The head or the wing? I go to head most naturally, but in health, I do best between the two.
    If Adler and Bayard are two sides of the same coin, are you saying Rowntree is the metaphorical chair you sit in? If so, quite like that.
    With you, Rowntree reminded me that my ‘why’ is crucial when studying, and also that we are all students together. So, I’m interested; given that Rowntree has a lot of sections, which one stood out for you most usefully? For me, it was the simplicity SQ3R.

I love several things about your quarter analogy, but mostly I loved that you made note that the old quarters are different than the new ones. It’s the details that matter and that really got me. You’re talking about balance and finding that balance is always a struggle. Balance frequently requires handholds (like the ridges on your old quarter) from falling down. I find that community is frequently a handhold for me that keeps me balance. This post has been a handhold for me, so thank you.

Tammy – I love this and appreciate how you’ve brought the last three author’s together. I tried to do my best skimming yet but like you, it was hard because it was so practical and helpful. I knew I needed to read it. However, I didn’t get to the end of the book but I will now because of what you shared.

Like Mario, I am challenged to have a more articulate ‘why’ to this process. I have a couple for sure but I think I would benefit from writing them down and reviewing them. I hated getting asked that question over the last year when I was asked ‘why’ but I dread it no more – now to tweak language to make it more clear and articulate for the future inquirers. 🙂

I’m grateful I get to ‘read’ you these next couple years.