Drawing Attention

Drawing Attention797e833d7df56d84b0f2c2227f03d14d

William Dyrness in his book, Visual Faith: Art, Theology and Worship in Dialogue, draws attention to the idea that there is a crisis in Christianity and its relationship to the Arts. Dyrness, in this intriguing text, ultimately is calling for a needed renewal. Dyrness writes, “We need a threefold renewal: a new vision for the arts, a renewal of the worshiping life of the church, and a restored tradition of Christian art.”[1] And after the weekend of worship I just experienced, Dyrness drew my attention.

This past Sunday, I attended a church where a young pastor spoke of a recent trip he had been on where he found himself standing in the middle of St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland. He described his experience that was dominated by the overwhelming visual stimulation of all the stain glass windows, the ancient statues of central figures of the faith, and the expansive architectural design creating a true space where nothing other than worship was really able to happen. Growing up Catholic, I resonated with the pastor’s story because it placed me back in the many Catholic Churches I had experienced as I was raised in the Catholic tradition. I was surprisingly reminded of all the feelings and emotions evoked by being in such as space and how much a part of my faith and worship the aesthetics of my Catholic upbringing were.

The irony of this story being shared by the pastor, and the experience it surfaced for me, was that we were sitting in a temporary “worship” space that happened to be a former middle school library. There were two sections of chairs, one section on the far left of the room and one on the far right, with a media center service hub taking up the bulk of the middle of the room which was being utilized as a make shift tech booth. There was a portable stage set-up where both sections of chairs could view it with a small video screen hanging in the middle, some ad-hoc lighting hanging from the ceiling attempting to create some sense of ambiance, and probably most notably a bit of a funky smell of dampness that filled the space because the school was no longer in operation other than for the church using it for its created space. Needless to say the aesthetic experience varied greatly from my upbringing and the Catholic tradition that I had experienced.

The tension created by Dyrness that catches my attention is not so much that the Catholic tradition is the expression that accurately reflects a high value of art but how both expressions were truly their own art form. The concern, which I think is the concern Dyrness is trying to shed light on, is the regard being given to the different forms and functions of art as they initiate, develop and sustain our faith traditions.

I found the chapter entitled, Reflecting Theologically, to provide a great framework of the essence of art that if comprehended and more widely held, could provide excellent awareness and help curb the crisis of art and faith. Dyrness articulates four essentials that captures the theological essence of art:

1. Art is nothing special
  2. What is special is God’s revelation of himself and the call of creation to praise him in response.
  3. Human art, that is good, manages some echo of this reality—either praise or curse.
  4. In some mysterious sense, all art aspires to be worship.[2]

Applying these essentials to my experience I believe I can see an aesthetic value and a significant role that art played in both worship settings described. Technically while being raised in the Catholic tradition, while art was happening to me through mass and all the sanctuaries that I attended, I was not aware, and certainly as a rascally young kid, did not value the full aesthetic value of the experiences I was being afforded. In hindsight, I can see it and sense it now, but until I had an appreciation for it I did not see all that was being said through all the stained glass, statues, and architecture. Similarly, while initially a middle school library setting could seem like a pathetic place for a worship service, with a true eye for art as described above, one could say that as many beautiful things were being said through the space in the library about our faith, our God and our relationship with him and our world. While I think Dyrness would push back on this, many creative expressions by people were a part of bringing the space and service together and much was said about who and how God is and who and how we are made to relate with him.

What I loved most about this book and, to me, gives it its greatest value is the potential it has to help draw attention to the value of art and aesthetics and how our faith is being shaped and has the potential to be renewed through an awakening or heightened awareness.

[1] William A. Dyrness, Visual Faith: Art, Theology, and Worship in Dialogue (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2001), 101.

[2] Ibid., Dyrness. 101

Phillip Struckmeyer

9 responses to “Drawing Attention”

Phil, You’ve touched on a question i’ve always wondered. What is Art? Once you define Art you automatically leave someone/something out.

I love how you were able to see the art/imagination in the Middle School Library.

So for Dyrness do you think it comes more down to what kind of Art speaks to culture or connects with culture? I would think the reverence that stained glass windows stirs in someone is a better connection then the artist effort the church plant did in the library. Both good efforts in Art…one just connects better with culture?

• Jon Spellman says:

But Nick (roomie), what culture? I mean which one?

Phil, I am assuming (correct me if I’m wrong) that you were visiting a Sunday morning service of a church plant that you oversee for your denomination. I’m curious, what was your gut-level, honest assessment of what they were doing that day? I mean do you get the sense that they are really acting as the center of their community, telling the story of the gospel in the same manner that St. Patrick’s has done for centuries on end or are we just rolling out another “church plant?” I ask this from the same posture (denominationally speaking…) so I’ve asked myself the same thing over and over… Are we moving the Kingdom of God forward?

• Phillip Struckmeyer says:

Jon, I think both “worship spaces” are equal when it comes to representing God. Tradition or lack there of it makes all the difference. I would say a St. Patrick worship experience says God is stoic, reverent, and elaborate … and he is. I would say the middle school worship experience says God is accessible, relational, and simple … and he is. I think you bring up the most central question in art … relative perspective and determination of meaning???

• Phillip Struckmeyer says:

That is funny Nick, The truth is that as I started the post, I was going to rip on the middle school setting. It was as I wrote the post I realized from Dyrness’s theological reflection chapter – although different – the middle school expression and overall a church plant expression of the Church is full of creativity and works that point to God and his nature, our relationship with him and how we are to relate to the world. I’m continually surprised by how “writing” leads to learning as we process all our thoughts.

Phil, thinking of aesthetics and worship services I appreciate your post and likewise appreciated Dryness 4 points from “reflecting theologically”. The emphasis is contextualizing. Each Sunday our community comes into a Gym for worship, one side of the gym has a stage and rows of chairs in an semi-circle. It’s the epitome of informal, low church vibe. Dark blue walls, bleachers, no traditional art, no pretty banners – utilitarian. For the church I pastored in Bangkok, an affluent, cosmopolitan congregation coming from a very broad background of Christian heritages – the gym would likely be a stumbling block. But in blue-collar, Baytown Texas – it’s all good. We need to discern what will promote worship, and what will create unnecessary stumbling blocks.

• Phillip Struckmeyer says:

Great take Dave. Your two descriptions of the worship spaces seem spot on. Both simple, have meaning given by God, inspire worship to the local context and constituency. Would would rate both as creative and . . . relatively artistic:).

Phill so you was a Catholic school kid too! I too into the stain glassed windows and the art. I think that the Catholic church from even way back has bee the leader in Christian Art as it relates to faith. And its amazing to me that they are. I mean i know that they had great wealth and afford some of the great paintings that they have but i think other Chrisitan faiths should do more in drawing and representing their faith by their art and from their pespective. Any time I any Chrisitan art i am drawn to it.

Travis, I am thankful for my Catholic upbringing for that reason. I really think my exposure led to my appreciation.

For you Catholic boys – did you know that Hocus Pocus came from the Eucharist as it was being shared in Latin? “Hoc est enim corpus meum”. This is my body. Unless we have context, as you point out Phil, we will misconstrue the purpose, meaning, and value of what we hear and see. For art, simplicity can be some of the best art if offered for purposes of worship (as it sounds like in the middle school gym). At the same time, the beauty of St. Patrick Cathedral can become the idol rather than the icon of what it is supposed to represent. That’s why I’m grateful for the theological reflection.