Dominion and Dignity

I’m not sure where to begin. I initially listened to “Dominion” on audiobook, but an hour into it, I knew I needed a physical copy to fully engage with it. Tom Holland’s exploration is a captivating journey that reevaluates Christianity’s role in shaping Western civilization. While the book has its critiques, it undeniably sheds light on Christianity’s profound impact. It’s a must-read for those intrigued by the roots of modern Western values.

Chapter 5 particularly caught my attention, introducing the concept of dignity for all. Holland attributes powerful statements to St. Gregory of Nazianzus, challenging prevailing norms on slavery, the value of women, and the dignity of the poor. As a student of Church history, I was a little embarrassed that I did not know some of this.

St. Gregory’s words on the poor resonate deeply: “Reflect on who they are, and you will understand their dignity; they have taken upon them the person of our Saviour.[1]” He uniquely grasped Christ’s choice to identify with the poor, highlighting the dignity inherent in all humanity. Holland would go on to say that “Gregory, more clearly than anyone before him, traced the implications of Christ’s choice to live and die as one of the poor to its logical conclusion. Dignity, which no philosopher had ever taught might be possessed by the stinking, toiling masses, was for all. There was no human existence so wretched, none so despised or vulnerable, that it did not bear witness to the image of God[2]

His stance on slavery in 362 AD was revolutionary: “Not all the universe would constitute an adequate payment for the soul of a mortal.[3]” He saw owning slaves as an affront to God’s order and a violation of human dignity. Even in praising women, Gregory defied conventions of his time. At his sister’s death, he likened her to Christ[4], elevating her status in a society that often marginalized women.

I have spent so much time on St. Gregory because it reveals something. St. Gregory’s teachings reveal Christianity’s profound appeal, a message of love and dignity that transcends social barriers. It’s no wonder it resonated so deeply across cultures and centuries. Christianity offers a profound truth: every person bears the image of God, deserving dignity and respect.

The theme of dignity is central to Holland’s work, reflecting Christianity’s emphasis on the inherent worth of all individuals. He illustrates how this concept, radical in its time, gradually transformed Western thought, leading to significant social and moral shifts. Movements for justice and equality, such as abolitionism and the civil rights movement, drew inspiration from Christianity’s teachings on love and dignity, reshaping society’s understanding of human rights and equality before God.

Another key theme is the tension between the ideals of Christianity and the actions of its adherents. Holland does not shy away from discussing the contradictions and failures of Christians throughout history, including periods of violence and intolerance. However, he argues that the self-critical capacity of Christianity, its ability to reform and reflect on its failures, is one of its most significant contributions to Western thought.

The tension between the lofty ideals of Christianity and the often flawed actions of its adherents is a significant and recurring theme in Tom Holland’s, Dominion. This theme delves into the paradox that while Christianity has been a source of profound ethical and moral teachings, its history is also marred by episodes of violence, hypocrisy, and intolerance perpetrated in its name. Holland navigates this dichotomy with care, providing a nuanced exploration of how the central tenets of Christianity have both inspired remarkable acts of compassion and led to significant moral failures.

In summary, Dominion offers a thought-provoking exploration of Christianity’s impact on Western civilization, challenging readers to grapple with its complex legacy. By examining themes such as dignity, justice, and the tension between ideals and realities, Holland sheds light on Christianity’s enduring influence and its role in shaping the modern world.

[1]Holland, Tom. Dominion How the Christian Revolution Remade the World. New York, NY: Basic Books, 2021., 141

[2] Ibid 141

[3] Ibid 142

[4] Ibid 142

Daron George

- Something cool goes here -

7 responses to “Dominion and Dignity”

Daron, what a well articulated post. I agree, this is a book I will want to come back to again and again for a deeper understanding of how Christianity has shaped Western Civilization.

You wrote, “This theme delves into the paradox that while Christianity has been a source of profound ethical and moral teachings, its history is also marred by episodes of violence, hypocrisy, and intolerance perpetrated in its name.” So true and I do not think many Christians understand the full impact of the violence, hypocrisy, and intolerance. I have a friend who told me she walked away from the church because of her mother’s hypocrisy. She learned the song “Jesus Loves the Little Children” and could not understand how her mother could sing this song and be racist. I know of others who point to the Crusades or the Holocaust as reasons to avoid the church. I wonder how we can be instruments of change in the world, how can we help to transform the image of Christ? I will continue to impact my small corner of the world as best as I can.

Daron,
    Great post. I appreciate that you highlighted chapter 5 and the role dignity has played in Christian thought, ultimately shaping history. Holland’s book is so expansive, I imagine that I will be coming back to it for many of the points he explores, yet dignity seems to be the forefront of our cultural conversations. I agree that it can change our conversations if we acknowledge the inherent dignity in one another coupled with the humility of self-critique.

3. Daron,

Thank you for your post and shedding light on a difficult subject. Bless you brother!

Great post!

“Holland does not shy away from discussing the contradictions and failures of Christians throughout history, including periods of violence and intolerance.”

He sure doesen’t… someone grab the popcorn.