Dip in The Perfect World

A number of times I have given a few minutes thought to quitting this Dmin program.  Those thoughts could have lasted and perhaps they could have resulted in the decision to quit were it not for a few key realities.  First and most importantly, I entered this program because I determined it was within God’s will for me.  I still believe that to be true.  Second, the challenges I am facing are not unique.  Others are busy, have personal and family challenges, and feel overwhelmed at times.  I am traveling this journey with a cohort, I am not alone.  Third, the course professors are extremely supportive.  They want others and me to succeed.  This is very encouraging!  

The Dip: A Little Book Teaches You When to Quit (and when to stick) by Seth Godin is a good little book that helps a person to determine if he/she should quit.  The author points out the conditions that guide that decision.  The book is valuable but not comprehensive.  It assumes a healthy emotional and mental state.  It does not call attention to the issue of one’s self perception or self image which has huge impact on one’s decisions, especially when under duress.

The best take away from this book for me is the way the author defines being the best.  He says, “Best as in: best for them, right now, based on what they believe and what they know. And in the world as in: their world, the world they have access to.”  This is key because it helps one to be realistic about pursuing excellence without engaging easy compromise.  The other takeaway that I thought valueable was, “Just about everything you learned in school about life is wrong, but the wrongest thing might very well be this: Being well rounded is the secret to success.” **  I did not want a well rounded school, I wanted a school that takes leadership seriously.

The practical sections on the Dip, Cul D’sac, and Cliff as ways of determining one’s situation were very helpful.  I also liked the definition of the tactical and strategic actions that assist one to stay on the long course while having flexibility in the short run.  He talks about this by noting that quitting as a short term strategy (tactical) is a bad idea while quiting as a long term strategy (strategic) is a good idea.

The book is helpful!  Easy to read and short.  I liked it and will recommend it to others.

*Godin, Seth (2007-05-10). The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) (p. 10). Portfolio Hardcover. Kindle Edition. 

**Ibid. pg. 14.

gfesadmin