Decisions Matter… (Keputusan Penting)

Clear Thinking: Turning Ordinary Moments into Extraordinary Results by Shane Parrish [1] provides practical tools to recognize crossroads moments, make better decisions and apply clear thinking to what truly matters in life. Shane shares a 4-step framework to navigate those moments effectively.

Creating Space for Clear Thinking [2]:

Parrish emphasizes that clear thinking is not a natural talent but a skill that can be learned and improved with practice. He identifies the enemies of clear thinking, including emotional defaults, ego biases, social pressures, and inertia. This statement reminds me of Jesus, He often created space for clear thinking. Jesus made time to go and pray by himself. In Matthew 14:23, ‘After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone.’ [3] Jesus intentionally sought solitude. Despite His busy ministry and the demands of the crowds, He recognized the importance of being alone with God. Prayer was central to His life, and this moment exemplifies His commitment to communion with the Father. A model for us, by withdrawing from the crowds, Jesus sets an example for us. We, too, need moments of quiet reflection, away from distractions, to connect with God and seek His guidance. This is a message for us, mortals – we need the space for clear thinking. One way I create space for my clear thinking is by journaling and praying. These are my ways of venting as a thinker. I have just removed stuff that was clouding my thinking and created a space for new ideas.

Building Strengths:[4]

Strength is the power to press pause on your defaults and exercise good judgment. As a leader, it is my responsibility to train myself and be an example to my team; self-accountability, self-knowledge, self-control, self-confidence, setting standards, and learning from exemplars.  In Galatians 5:22-23, the scriptures speak about spiritual strengths and in Philippians 4:13, “I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.” [5] Parrish established, “To stop our defaults from impeding good judgment, we need to harness equally powerful biological forces. We need to take the same forces that the defaults would use to ruin us and turn them to our advantage. In other words, we build strength. Parrish repeats, self: accountability, knowledge, control and confidence.

Managing Weaknesses:

Knowing our weaknesses is crucial. Parrish provides strategies for safeguarding against common cognitive biases. Handling mistakes gracefully and learning from them is part of managing weaknesses. Authentic leaders recognize their strengths and weaknesses and embrace them. They do not hide their vulnerabilities; instead, they accept them. However, this does not mean they disregard feedback. In the book, Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value, Bill George stated, “Being true to the person you were created to be means accepting your faults as well as using your strengths.” [6]

As the Construction Procurement Strategy Lead in my day job, I initially stepped into this role in 2017 with no prior knowledge of the construction in the utility industry. When the job offer came my way, I candidly reminded the hiring manager that the term ‘construction’ did not appear anywhere on my resume, and I lacked expertise in construction procurement. Despite this, the company continued to offer me the position and I accepted it with an open mind, embracing the concept of ‘not knowing.’ Very often I used the phrase, “I am coming from a place of not knowing” initially. This liberating phrase has allowed me the freedom to be true to myself.

Decision-Making Process:

Parrish breaks down the decision-making process into five steps. The process is practical and organized, and I believe when we allow it to help us, “trust the process”, it will be valuable.

• Define the Problem
  • Explore Possible Solutions
  • Evaluate the Options
  • Take Action
  • Learn from Your Decisions

Wanting What Matters:

Ordinary moments matter more than big decisions because they compound over time. Parrish explores themes related to happiness, mortality, and life lessons. ‘…not what matters in the moment, but what matters in life.[7] As busy individuals, it is easy to suck into non-value work, especially when is it is uncomfortable to say “no.” These past few months, I had to choose what matters, of course my family first and then spending time writing out the best doctoral paper this semester. I experienced freedom by saying NOoooo!

My Takeaway:

“Good Judgement is expensive, but poor judgement will cost you a fortune.”[8] This book serves as a tool/manual during challenging situations to achieve the desired outcomes – helps enhance decision-making.

[1] Shane Parrish, Clear Thinking: Turning Ordinary Moments into Extraordinary Results, (London, UK:

Cornerstone Press, 2023).

[2] Shane, ix.

[3] Matthew, 14:23.

[4] Parrish, 40-41.

[5] Galatians, 5:22-23. Philippians, 4:13.

[6] Bill George, Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets of Creating Lasting Value, (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003), 265.

[7] Shane, 242.

[8] Shane, 245.

Shela Sullivan

Born and raised on the vibrant Penang Island in Malaysia. "Mari Makan!!" — a cherished Malaysian greeting that reflects the warmth of shared meals. Since 1996, I have called Oregon, United States, my home. I enjoy the raindrops and the serenity of its beaches. The ocean connects me to nature and energizes me. I hold Bachelor's in Business & Marketing from University of Phoenix, Master's in Spiritual Formation from George Fox University and Congressional Leadership (Lay Pastoral) Certificate from Dubuque Theological Seminary. I work as a Category Manager for a power utility company and serve as an ordained Presbyterian Traveling Pastor. My aspirational career goal is to become an inspirational speaker. I reside with my husband, David Sullivan, and our fur-baby, Rolo. Our shared passions include traveling, exploring diverse cuisines, home improvements and classic cars. Favorite Bible Verse: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4 ~

10 responses to “Decisions Matter… (Keputusan Penting)”

Hi Shela, in addition to saying no and your time with the Lord, are there other areas that you think you might try moving forward from this book?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Diane,
      Thank you for reading my post and for the question.
      I hope I am responding correctly to your question. I am encouraged to try the 5 decision making steps. Step two (explore possible solutions) stood out to me.

2. Debbie Owen says:

Great description and application of the book Shela. What will you focus on – for decision-making – over the summer, and what application, if any, is there from the book?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Thank you, Glyn, for reading my post and for the question. I believe that it is important to know what matters (Wanting What Matters). For example, consider first if the subject is worth chasing, or spending time on. How would it be beneficial for the greater good.
      I hope I am responding to your question correctly.

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Debbie, thank you for reading my post and for answering my question.
      I am encouraged to try the 5 decision making steps. Step two (explore possible solutions) stood out to me.

3. mm Glyn Barrett says:

Thanks Shela. How can applying Shane Parrish’s four-step framework for navigating crossroads moments empower individuals to create necessary personal space for reflection and clear thinking, similar to the examples set by Jesus, who prioritised solitude for clarity and prayer?

4. Akwese says:

Hi Shela, thanks for this great overview. I love how you named prayer, journaling and being with God as foundational elements of being able to think clearly.
    I also appreciated how you mentioned your current role is in an area you had no previous background in and how “liberating” it was to name that you’re “coming from a place of not knowing.” How might this same mindset of “coming from a place of not knowing” serve you as you continue to apply insights from this book in your daily life?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Akwese, thank you for reading my post and for the question.
      This phrase prepares the person in front of me to chill out – I work in construction so the ego is high. Saying this just gives the other person the same opportunity, it is alright if you do not know it all.

5. mm Kari says:

Hi Shela, Great post. I, too, find great clarity in praying and journaling, often prayer-journaling! I appreciate how you bring Scripture into your posts. That is truly where our authority should come from.