Data Meets Art: Bridging the Gap

Background of yellow with black numbers overlayed with neon script, "Be Brilliant"

Created in Canva by Nancy Blackman

Anytime I see a book title with the word “numbers” in it I run away as quickly as I can. Far, far away. I have never been fond of numbers, but interestingly, Tim Harford refers to this as a sense of naïve realism, where we “confuse our own perspective with something more universal.” [1] In this case, my perspective is that anything to do with numbers and statistics has nothing to do with creativity, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. And, yet I still allow that message to remain in my subconscious.

As I skimmed this book, I kept thinking, how does this fit into the context of my research? And then it hit me—we use critical thinking skills all day, every day, which, reminded me of my fascination with the art of subliminal messages. In 1957, because of research by James Vicary, the words “Eat Popcorn” and “Drink Coca Cola” was inserted throughout movies. The messages popped up so fast that a person might not see it, but the trick with subliminal messages is that your brain records the message.

Later, Vicary admitted to making false claims about his research, but by that time government and advertising agencies were intrigued. Even later, movies began to utilize subliminal messaging in movies in a variety of ways.

In this YouTube video, there is an explanation of how subliminal messages are used in movies. Scorsese used a red “X” behind an actor in “Scarface” to indicate they would be killed. As crazy as that might seem, your brain connects with it. Some years ago, we lived in Koreatown Los Angeles where 40 gangs crossed within a two-to-three-block radius of our building. When pulling into the garage, if we saw the name of a rival gang member graffitti’d on the garage door with an “X” through the name, that meant there would be a shooting that night.

All of this begs the question of a consumer’s perceptions. How much of what we hear and see drives decisions, and lawmakers with policymaking? At the crux, Harford alerts readers to how humans process the multitude of messages they receive each day and how important it is to use critical thinking.

We choose what we want to hear and let go of the things that either don’t make sense or don’t want to hear. “One of the reasons facts don’t always change our minds is that we are keen to avoid uncomfortable truths.”[2] Nowadays, being barraged by ads and social media we can keep scrolling or even block people. Thus, the concept of cancel culture.

When I think about my research and how art and writing can disrupt and make people feel uncomfortable and then toss in the fact that this will be an interfaith community, a lot of things can go haywire. But really … what do numbers and statistics have to do with creativity? If I put my critical thinking hat on, which, by the way, hurt my brain this week, I would say Harford’s message is inclusive of several themes that intersect with my research.

Keep in mind that my NPO statement reads:  Creatives need sacred, safe, inclusive space to explore their spirituality within community that welcomes, validates, celebrates, and empowers when they are unsupported, isolated, and undervalued.

It’s too easy to step aside and recognize the divide between creativity and science (or, in this case, statistics and data), but if we look at data as a prompting for creativity, we can see a whole new world open up.

In photography, there is the Rule of Thirds. In essence, when you look through the viewfinder of your camera you use the built-in grid system (or turn it on if using the camera on your phone). The grid is 2 horizontal lines and 2 vertical lines, creating a grid of nine smaller areas in your viewfinder. You then position the important elements in your shot along the grid lines or at points where the lines intersect. The idea behind this is that an off-center composition is more appealing to the eye, partly because it creates negative space and partly because it helps direct the eye.

Image by Prem Anandh: https://www.flickr.com/photos/anandham/4499539060/

That doesn’t mean that it’s a hard-and-fast rule and if you don’t follow it you’ll create a horrible image. It’s a guideline, and that’s what I take away from Harford’s book. Data and statistics are guidelines, but they don’t tell you the whole story. And … the way one person gathers data can be different than another person.

“Facts are valuable things, and so is fact-checking. But if we really want people to understand complex issues, we need to engage their curiosity. If people are curious, they will learn.”[3]

That leads to the fact that there is power and empowerment in diversity. Harford recognizes that diversity is powerful in the context of innovation and creativity. When there are diverse perspectives, there can be a more resilient decision-making process. Communities, especially the one I hope to develop, can glean from a wealth of insights and approaches because, at the core, we are still human and we need each other. In context to a creative community, those diverse inspirations can bring a magnitude of breakthroughs, for the person doing the creating and their audience.

When we embrace differences, we remain open. If our souls remain open, we engage with God in new ways. This also allows creative people the ability to embrace a richness of humanity in all its forms, but … and this might be a big but … we are human, and, “sometimes we want to be fooled.”[4]

Keep asking questions. Keep turning your perspectives on their heads, and stay open to new possibilities. We are better together.

[1] Tim Harford, How to Make the World Add Up: Ten Rules for Thinking Differently About Numbers (London: Bridge Street Press, 2020), 59.

Nancy Blackman

11 responses to “Data Meets Art: Bridging the Gap”

1. mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Nancy,

Beautiful images above!
    I feel the same as you do about numbers; they can be quite intimidating. Ironically, all of my jobs involve working with numbers. I agree that Harford has introduced a fresh perspective on the subject.

What would you suggest about the decision-making process when there are diverse perspectives involved?

Cheers!

• Nancy Blackman says:

Hi Shela!
      I almost spit up my drink when I read “I feel the same as you” because I know you work with numbers!

Thanks for the question! I think one of the things to always keep in mind when approaching decision-making with regards to diverse perspectives is to always remain open and curious.

In most cases, nothing will be as it seems and being flexible is key. Your thoughts?

2. Christy Liner says:

Hi Nancy. I agree with your statement “Data and statistics are guidelines, but they don’t tell you the whole story.” As a data person, there is always a temptation to take data at face value and assume it tells the whole story, but time and time again, I’ve found that data can only tell part of the story – we can’t neglect personal experience and critical thinking to question and be curious about the data.

• Nancy Blackman says:

Christy,
      Thanks!

Until reading this book, I never thought about the fact that data and statistics would not have some level of accuracy. I mean … I’m already a skeptical person.

That being said, I appreciate that I need to also rely on my personal experience. Thanks for adding that in!

3. Julie O'Hara says:

Hi Nancy, Thank you for showing us how you sought connections between the reading and your NPO. I appreciate your thoughtful approach. I feel curious to know what kinds of data you may be finding to support the need expressed in the topic?

• Nancy Blackman says:

Thanks Julie,
      That’s an interesting question! In one of my interviews last semester, I was told that my timing in creating a community of this sort could not be at a better time because you never know at what stage a community might be. In other words, alot of creative communities and publications are shutting their doors because of funding. And, since that conversation, I have received one email after another of creative communities and publications doing just that — shuttering. But, in answer to your question, this isn’t about data and statistics. My interviewee was merely asking my question of “what if I’m barking up the wrong tree? What if I’m just going to become yet another publication or creative community amongst the many?”

And, as a final add to my response, I always say go with your heart because that’s where God is and that’s the whole reason I am in this program and heading in the direction I’m going.

4. Jeff Styer says:

Nancy,
    Your question ” How much of what we hear and see drives decisions, and lawmakers with policymaking?” reminds me of one of the things that drives me crazy when discussing policy development. Ohio just passed legislation regarding Gender-affirming care and not allowing transgender women in women’s sports. The bill went through the Ohio house and senate and was vetoed by the governor only to have both the house and senate override the veto. I had my social policy class review this piece of legislation which makes lots of statements based off research. However, because it’s a bill, they do not cite any of the research. How do those voting on the bill actually know the data they are being fed is true if they don’t have a reference to look up? Because of my own research into this topic, most of what was stated in the legislation I already was aware of and did not necessarily find it to be a stretch, but that was because of my own previous research. Sorry for my rant.

I started listening to this podcast on my way home last night, there some comments in it that got me thinking about my own research, but you may also find this interesting as an artist. https://theologyintheraw.com/podcast/sex-violence-profanity-and-the-death-of-christian-art-josh-porter/

5. Daren Jaime says:

Hi Nancy! You really hit home in describing how to look at a photo. I just had a gentleman tell me that i should be using the grid to take better quality photos with my I phone. Although photography is not my thing, I now have a better grasp. As you tackle your NPO I am curious (word of the week!) as to the questions you seek to ask when it comes to the diversity dilemma for creatives? We hear of creative liberty often I have heard a few creatives on the inside say they feel stifled in finding that space that you mentioned.

• Nancy Blackman says:

Daren’s in the house! 😁

This is what I say about the grid. If it helps you, use the grid. If it confuses you, don’t use the grid. Art is meant to help you be free, which is why there is art therapy. That’s my 2 cents 😬.

You ask a great question! One of my stakeholders didn’t fit the “mold.” That’s why I invited them. They gave so much push back it wasn’t funny, but … what happened in the process is that the other people listened to that stakeholder and vice versa. And, just as Rome wasn’t built in a day, over time, as long as there aren’t huge controversies, people learn enough from each other that they lay down their arguments and listen more.

You reminded me of a couple of scenarios that I was involved in—one was volunteering at an all-female Skid Row housing program in Los Angeles. I was determined to break through the shell of a woman. It took me 4 years — say it with me, FOUR YEARS — to break the shell. When the shell was finally broken, she couldn’t stop talking to me. Of course, she didn’t trust me, but, over time, she saw that I stuck to my word and showed up every time I was scheduled to show up. And every time I saw her I said hello to her even if she didn’t respond back. It all boiled down to trust.

That’s where I think the diversity dilemma lies with the community I hope to facilitate. It will all boil down to whether they trust me, each other and the process. When someone feels stifled, I’m guessing it’s because they lost trust along the way.

Thanks for helping me think that through!

6. mm Kari says:

I love your blog, Nancy! It was fun to read as someone who loves numbers. I joke that my sister was gifted with all of my artistic talents and I got all of her number abilities. With time, I learned there is a difference between being artistic and being creative. That was a liberating moment for me as I learned to unleash my creative side without comparing my (un)artistic abilities. Similar to what you said about data, “the way one person gathers data can be different than another person.” We are each uniquely created and we truly are are “better together” because we were made for community. Thanks for your example of someone who is staying open and curious!