Cultural Pessimism: A Wicked Problem

In his book Not So Black and White, Kenan Malik is preaching a message of “universalism”- an idea that a lot of us can relate to, even if we are not familiar with the term. Universalism is the belief that everyone should be treated equally, regardless of their race. The first part of the book delved deeply into the history of race and equality movements. In a similar fashion to how Matthew Petrusek outlines his argument, in  Evangelization and Ideology[1],Malik tells a story of how, over time, ideals have responded to current conditions and in doing so have contorted into unrecognizable ideologies.

Taking that understanding further, Malik asserts that these series of reactions have brought the international discussion on race to a place that is very different than the climate of the Civil Rights movement of the last century. Furthermore, Malik makes a convincing argument that Critical Race Theory has sprung out of a sort of cultural pessimism that has abandoned hope of society ever treating people equally regardless of race, and, as a result, has resorted to a posture of self-preservation.[2]

It is not racial differences that have led to unequal treatment but the persistence of social inequalities in societies with a commitment to equality that has led many to view such inequalities as ineradicable, and hence natural, and to place people into different racial categories. Race did not give birth to racism. Racism gave birth to race.[3]

Cultural Pessimism

I can understand how one can become disillusioned with society. And, how one could become skeptical of the ability to make any improvement at all. This makes me think about a recent story I heard about El Salvador. That country has had an almost-unimaginable violent history with as recently as a year ago, its citizens were unable to safely move about their towns due to horrific gang violence. Today, however, the country is experiencing a dramatic change. Murder rates are decreasing rapidly. Children are playing in the streets. A country is starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.[4] How could such a transformation take place? The popular President Nayib Bukele is credited with this change. It does not take long to understand how such a change was brought about: “…mass arrests that swept up thousands of innocent people, the erosion of civil liberties and the country’s descent into an increasingly autocratic police state.”

When asked about this pattern of undemocratic behavior, the vice president boldly asserts that they are eliminating democracy and he justifies it because he says that in his country, the governmental system so many hold as sacred, was rotten, corrupt and bloody. Indeed, his population reinforces this view as they re-elected Bukele in a recent election.[5] Malik asserts that “to have a radical universalist perspective….you have to have belief that it is possible to transform society.”[6] It appears that El Salvadorians have given up their belief that democracy can transform their nation, and they are prioritizing their safety over their democratic ideals.

Coming back to our question of racial identity, can we say that the move to further segregate ourselves into groups that look like us may be also driven out of an interest of safety?

Staying in Our Lane

A Wall Street Journal Review of Not So Black and White states:

Peddling the myth that black people are inherently powerless in a “white society,” [black political] elites have sought to carve out a space — a sanctuary — in which blacks can “assert a degree of power and autonomy.” This racial gatekeeping, as it were, has given rise to the taboo surrounding ‘cultural appropriation,’ by which races are enjoined to stay in their “lane.”[7]

I was discussing this book with a friend of mine who is the daughter of migrant workers that came here from Mexico. She commented to me that this move to re-segregate comes with a cost that is easy to overlook. We talked about case after case of minority children who have emerged from impoverished conditions and successfully pursued dreams and became contributors to our society: surgeons, artists, writers. They did not do this by staying in their bubble, but by stepping out to the broader world, leveraging mentors along the way and then sharing their talents, gifts and wisdom with the rest of us.

What cost will encouraging lines of division and discouraging the free sharing of culture and thought have on society? What transformative ideas will never see the light of day?

Racism: A Wicked Problem

At the risk of stating the obvious: Racism is a wicked problem. We recently learned that with Wicked Problems, we are not going to find an ultimate solution, but we must keep trying. The work itself is redemptive.[8] Let’s not give up on working for a more just and equitable society.

__________________________

[1] “Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture – Kindle Edition by Petrusek, Matthew , Collins, Cardinal Thomas . Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.Com.,” accessed January 27, 2024, https://www.amazon.com/Evangelization-Ideology-Understand-Respond-Political-ebook/dp/B0CB9CXBK7/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1706397763&sr=8-1.

[2] Malik, 303.

[3] Kenan Malik, Not so Black and White: A History of Race from White Supremacy to Identity Politics, 1st ed. (London: Hurst & Company, 2023), 23.

[4] “El Salvador Decimated Its Ruthless Gangs. But at What Cost? – The New York Times,” accessed February 23, 2024, https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/09/world/americas/el-salvador-gangs.html?smid=pc-thedaily.

[5] El Salvador Decimated Gangs. But at What Cost?, 2024, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZyAtRefVFw.

[6] What We Get Wrong About Race – Kenan Malik, 2023, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vajeuKADyc.

[7] “Https://Www.Wsj.Com/Articles/Not-so-Black-and-White-Review-Kenan-Maliks-Universalist-Vision-D4447929,” accessed February 24, 2024, https://www.wsj.com/articles/not-so-black-and-white-review-kenan-maliks-universalist-vision-d4447929.

[8] “Building a Kingdom Not Our Own,” accessed February 19, 2024, https://blogs.georgefox.edu/dlgp/building-a-kingdom-not-our-own/.

Jennifer Vernam

7 responses to “Cultural Pessimism: A Wicked Problem”

Jennifer, your story about El Salvador’s transformation is frightening, as I see shadows of the same possibility here.

I’m in favor of returning to racial universalism; in Los Angeles I often experience the benefit of the kind of radical integration that has served our culture well. We’re not a melting pot that smoothes out all the differences but a stew where all the elements retain their unique flavor. For instance, most of the incredible fusion food I eat regularly (Korean/Mexican? Come on!!!) would be a target for the cultural appropriation authorities.

That said, It’s one thing to declare the answer is universalism, but when the question of racism is still evident in our systems and our streets and when justice still seems elusive to some because of their color, there seems to be a need for something in between where we are and the utopia of a fully accepted universalism.

Would you agree, or not? And any ideas about how to get from ‘here’ to ‘there’? Just curious.

• Jennifer Vernam says:

I agree with all you have said, Tim. I think that the conundrum comes when we swing the pendulum too far in one direction; we need to avoid extremes. How do we get there as a society? As I am sure you already know, there is not going to be one silver bullet answer. Instead, we have to do the hard work in making thoughtful choices situation by situation. Agree?

2. mm John Fehlen says:

I can hear the urgency in your written voice: “Let’s not give up on working for a more just and equitable society.”

I am by nature an optimist. Always have been. But, lately, and by lately, I mean the last 7-10 years, I have been slowly slipping further into pessimism, and I don’t like that about myself. I want to have hope and a positive outlook, especially regarding these wicked problems.

Perhaps we need to hear more stories of where it is working. Where there are tangible expressions of just and equitable societies bursting forth.

• Jennifer Vernam says:

John, I can relate to your slip into pessimism. I wonder if it is an age thing? Getting old really stinks. (To be clear, I am ONLY referring to myself, here.)

Not one to let a good reference to the Bible Project go by: I recently heard their meditations on “Your Kingdom come… on earth as it is in Heaven.” For some reason, this seems to apply here. We need to keep working for His Kingdom, though we know it won’t fully be realized.

3. mm Pam Lau says:

Jen,
    I am intrigued by the use of the term “Universalism.” When we say someone is a universalist, would you say that’s the same thing as saying they believe in universalism? I appreciate that you summarized Malik’s historical story of how racism came to be –So what do we learn from his history lesson?

4. Esther Edwards says:

Jennifer,
    What a sad story of trading one problem for a much greater one.
    Your short sentence, “The work itself is redemptive” is hope-filled in and of itself. How can your NPO aid the redemption aspect of this wicked problem?

I suppose it would be ridiculous to blame Adam (not Harris) for the fall and the division of languages at Babel for the seeds of racism. One wonders if this is a TEST that God has placed before every generation.

Perhaps at its lowest level, finger pointing appears to be a common thread when it comes to racism. Children all over the world have pointed at me. I look different.

After 1981 I never lived in a predominantly Asian (formerly known at Oriental – the label I grew up with). Germany, Turkey, Italy, Slovakia and side trips to Iraq, I never fit in with the general populace.

The one time I was stationed in Korea, people saw me as a BROWN Korean (I am half Filipino), then when I opened my mouth DEFINITELY American.

I think I have gotten used to it. Red haired Rose from Texas (my wife), Two Hungarian Children, and one Hapa Child (Hawaiian world for halfbreed – I hate the word).

Some fun facts.
    1. Anti-Coolie Act (1862): Aimed at reducing the competition between Chinese laborers and white laborers by imposing a tax on Chinese workers.
    2. Page Act of 1875: Considered one of the earliest immigration laws, it effectively prevented Chinese women from immigrating to the U.S. by classifying them as “undesirable,” targeting those suspected of prostitution or being brought for immoral purposes.
    3. Chinese Exclusion Act (1882-1943): This act was the first and only major federal legislation to explicitly suspend immigration for a specific nationality, prohibiting all immigration of Chinese laborers for ten years, which was later extended.

Ending on a high note. My identity in CHRIST has given me a world wide family WHERE EVER I have been stationed. Nice.

Shalom…