Crossing Thresholds: Leadership Insights from “Dare to Lead” and My Academic Journey

Now at the end of the semester, looking back over the texts we have read as a cohort, Brené Brown’s seminal work, Dare to Lead[1], seems like an easier to digest snack opposed to our high-fibre, protein-rich meals we’ve been consuming.

The difference I see is Brown’s work is more encouraging and supportive whereas the other texts have been challenging the reader in ways that may not be surmountable as a lone individual. Either way, it was nice to finish the semester with
Dare to Lead.

As someone who enjoys seeking to understand leadership dynamics through various lenses—be it racial awareness, organizational behavior, or the nuanced dance of vulnerability—I found Brown’s exploration of courage in leadership resonating with my own scholarly and professional explorations.

Embracing the Uncomfortable: A Syntopical Voyage

This semester has been an expedition through discomfort. From grappling with concepts of “wokeism” to dissecting layers of unconscious biases with works like Pragya Agarwal’s Sway[2] and Jude Miller’s Consuming Religion[3], my journey echoes Brown’s advocacy for stepping into the arena, despite the fear and potential criticism. Brown champions a leadership model that thrives on vulnerability, positing that the true measure of courage is not about shielding oneself from failure but about the audacity to show up, even when there are no guarantees of success.

Learning from Brown: The Power of Vulnerability

In Dare to Lead, vulnerability is not about weakness but about the strength to face uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure—a premise that underpinned many classroom discussions and readings this semester. The dialogue around Kenan Malik’s
Not So Black and White[4], where race and identity politics intertwine, provided a practical context where Brown’s principles of authentic communication could foster real understanding and transformation within groups.

Applying Brown’s Frameworks

Integrating Brown’s frameworks into my daily interactions has meant reevaluating how I share my vision and experiences. It’s about ensuring that the narrative I weave is not only compelling but also authentic and relatable. This approach was mirrored in our analysis of Malik’s discussions on race, where the complexity of societal narratives often requires leaders to guide with both clarity and sensitivity—traits that Brown insists are foundational to daring leadership.

Questions for Further Reflection

As I align these academic insights with Brown’s teachings, several questions guide my ongoing exploration:

• How can I better incorporate vulnerability into my leadership practice to enhance trust and openness in my team?
  • In what ways can the principles of “Dare to Lead” help me address and navigate the biases that surface in professional and personal interactions?
  • What strategies can I adopt from Brown to foster a culture where difficult conversations are not just possible but encouraged and productive?

Championing a New Leadership Paradigm

As I continue to reflect on the powerful themes in Dare to Lead, it becomes increasingly evident that the courage to be vulnerable is not just a personal challenge but a professional imperative. Brené Brown argues that vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity, and change. In a world that often values certainty and control, embracing vulnerability as a leader means acknowledging that we don’t have all the answers and that is not only okay—it’s essential for growth.

Implementing the principles from Brown’s book in everyday leadership scenarios has prompted me to prioritize transparency and openness. Whether it’s discussing project challenges with my team, or addressing complex client needs in my consultancy practice, I strive to model the vulnerability that Brown champions. This approach not only deepens trust but also encourages others to share their insights and ideas, creating a richer, more collaborative environment.

The Resonance of Shared Experiences

The synergy between my academic explorations and Brown’s leadership strategies reinforces the value of shared human experiences in shaping effective leadership. As I navigate both scholarly discussions and professional engagements, the ability to resonate with others’ experiences—much like the dialogues sparked by Malik’s narrative on identity politics—proves invaluable. It is through these shared experiences that we find common ground, foster mutual respect, and build the kind of leadership that is not only effective but profoundly impactful.

Looking Ahead

As I advance in my studies and professional life, the lessons from Dare to Lead will continue to influence my approach to leadership. The journey of integrating vulnerability into my leadership style is ongoing and evolving. With each step, I am reminded that the path to transformative leadership is paved with the courage to face the unknown, the resilience to learn from adversity, and the wisdom to lead with authenticity. Embracing these principles, I am committed to not just leading with nice, but leading with nerve, purpose, and heart.

[1] Brown, B. (2018). Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. Random House.
[2] Agarwal, P. (2020). Sway: Unravelling Unconscious Bias. Bloomsbury Sigma.
[3] Malik, K. (2023). Not So Black and White: A History of Race from White Supremacy to Identity Politics. Basic Books.
[4] Miller, J. (2004). Consuming Religion: Christian Faith and Practice in a Consumer Culture. Continuum.

Mathieu Yuill

While raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens may be a few of Julia Andrews' favourite things, here are a few of mine: Talking to strangers, Learning about what you do for fun, Conversation over coffee. I own a marketing and communications company in Toronto, Canada called Leading With Nice. There are a lot of names I could have given the company but a trusted friend encouraged me to name it that because I really value the humanness in us all. Bah - this is starting to sound like a horrible LinkedIn post. So whatever, let's have coffee. I'd love to hear about what you do for fun!

One response to “Crossing Thresholds: Leadership Insights from “Dare to Lead” and My Academic Journey”

Mathieu,
    You crack me up-
    “Now at the end of the semester, looking back over the texts we have read as a cohort, Brené Brown’s seminal work, Dare to Lead[1], seems like an easier to digest snack opposed to our high-fibre, protein-rich meals we’ve been consuming.”

I am making my final blog post comments and found your blog. No one commented on your post so I am compelled!
    I am curious how this is taking place at Leading with Nice?
    “Brené Brown argues that vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity, and change.”

Thank you for your willingness to be on my podcast. I did such a poor job at making our internet connection work- I am humbled by this experience.
    I was very vulnerable in trying to make that work.
    Thank you for helping me learn some valuable lessons from working with you. I wish we could have recorded this in person!

May2 I graduate as a doctor at George Fox
    In one year…you will do the same!!
    Keep the Big Trees on your bucket list!
    Kristy DLPG01