Creative Minority Groups: Taming Wicked Problems Jesus-Style

The Tendency to avoid problems is the primary basis of all human illness.[1]  M. Scott Peck

I started this doctoral program with many questions. One particular question on my mind was, what, if anything, about the way I lead with my voice today needs to change for me to be my most vulnerable, courageous self in a world that seemingly changed overnight? I had a problem in that I silenced myself in certain circles and circumstances–even though I passionately believed I had something to say.  Before I even heard the words, “Cancel Culture”,[2] I felt its reverberations. In our cohort chats, I have discovered a rational, logical approach to thoughts and ideas where we each come from differing viewpoints without polarizing the conversation.  Seemingly unaware of what was happening, we created what I am calling a Creative Minority Group: a place where what people are really saying is genuinely heard. What we do each week as a cohort models for us something I cannot quite name–so for now I am calling it a Creative Minority Group.[3]

Is the Problem of Forgiveness Unmanageable?

During our Zoom chat this week, our conversation took a critical turn when Dr. Clark mentioned Peter Grieg’s sermons on forgiveness.  He said that when Peter Grieg spoke to the younger crowd, he could sense they weren’t buying the forgiveness piece in a shame-based culture.  All I could think about is the book for this week’s reading, Exploring Wicked Problems: What They Are and Why They are Important.  Authors Bentley and Toth explore how leadership is essentially about facing wicked problems that are literally unmanageable. “Solving problems–or more accurately, enabling others to solve problems–is the leader’s real work.”[4]  As much as I want to understand why people aren’t buying the forgiveness piece, I desperately want to understand how you and I as Christian leaders can figure out how to explore this wicked problem.

As I continued reading the book after our Zoom chat, I asked myself, “How would a leader break down the specific skills needed to solve the problem of shame deceiving an entire generation?” I was surprised by how the authors spent the first half of the book framing the differences between wicked and tame problems.  Certainly the information was repetitive yet helpful like the following:

1) Acting in ways that gain some measure of control

2) Narrow the gap between the present undesirable future and a more desirable future

3) Stay constantly alert to changing circumstances.

Taming Wicked Problems Jesus-Style

As I kept reading, I struck gold in the last third of the book starting with the chapter called, “The High, Hard Ground and the Swamp”. I didn’t set out to write this post on the wicked problem of a shame-based culture keeping people from God’s forgiveness; I wanted to write about how Kingdom leaders who follow Christ’s teachings don’t shrink back when faced with wicked problems. In the Beatitudes, Jesus declares that the good life belongs to peacemakers. Yet making peace or solving problems Jesus-style will mean conflict, pain, difficulty, and even persecution.[5] Kind of like leaders whose situations turn into swamps when they find themselves confronting important and complicated issues that are rapidly changing, confusing and complex; that often consist of “damned if you do and damned if you don’t alternatives. . .”[6]  Jesus’ teachings tell us that when we step out into the world solving problems, making peace, people won’t like us–not because we are solving problems but because of how we go about making peace the right way, Jesus’ way.  

Questions for Our cohort of Global, Thinking Leaders

Practicing what Wedell-Wedellsborg, author of our very first problem-solving book[7] suggested, here’s my attempt at reframing a wicked problem through real-world testing by asking questions to my cohort of global, thinking leaders:

1. What do you see as the behaviors and cultural issues getting in the way of people receiving forgiveness and offering forgiveness to others?

For example, last month the participants in one of my mediations consisted of four attorneys, two social workers and one appellant–a 27-year-old woman whose four children were now under the ward of the state. Hours before the mediation started, I spoke with each party privately to accomplish what this week’s book uncovers about solving problems–the family law systems for our states have what are called wicked problems.  If leadership is, “essentially about facing wicked problems that are literally unmanageable,”[8]  then I am a leader in one of our nation’s problems that are too big to be solved and has no final answers.  Each case I open is a mess; however, the wicked problem of our welfare system cannot be solved.  

On this particular day, I could not figure out what could possibly be mediated. The family law attorney was on the call to make sure the children were safe; the public defender wanted his client–the mother– treated with respect, to see her children.  The social workers made it clear they would not budge: mom could not have unsupervised visits with her children.  Whispering a prayer of help in my heart, I suddenly heard the caseworker weakly apologize for treating the mom poorly.  With rapt attention, I called the mom’s name and asked her if she heard what was just said.  I invited the caseworker to repeat her apology with the mom paying close attention. I gently asked her, “Do you receive the agency’s forgiveness?”  As the mom said, “yes, I do,” we each witnessed the power of showing one woman dignity–a woman who has lived her entire life in a government system with multiple wicked problems.  The apology may not have changed her tragic circumstances but I watched it transform a person who had no self worth into a woman who mattered, if even for 5 minutes.

My guess is that most of us can look at the tame and wicked problems facing us and wonder how our voices need to change to be our more vulnerable, authentic selves. But our inner voices and cultural climates just make us seriously uncomfortable.  What are we to do? Like my role in mediations, each of us is faced with what the authors call, Metawork.  “Metawork begins by whatever we are doing, examining how we are doing it, and then making changes so that things start to work better.”[9] 

In thinking about our voices as leaders and the obstacles of people not receiving or hearing accurately about God’s forgiveness, I have a few more questions. How might you answer  believing what you say is truly being heard?

1. What diminishes trust or connection with a trusted person of faith in your sphere of influence?
  2. Describe the kinds of risks leaders might take to keep solving this problem.
  3. What problem are we really avoiding that’s potentially creating mental illness?

[1] Peck, M Scott.  The Road Less Traveled.

[2] Lukianoff, Greg. “The Canceling of the American Mind: Cancel Culture Undermines Trust and Threatens Us All–but There Is a Solution.” New York: Simon and Schuster, 2023.

[3] “The Benedict Proposal : Church as Creative Minority in the Thought of Pope Benedict XVI –

[4] PhD, Joseph Bentley, and Michael Toth PhD. Exploring Wicked Problems: What They Are and Why They Are Important. Archway Publishing, 2020.

[5] BibleProject. “Sermon on the Mount E7: What Does It Mean to Make Peace?” Accessed February 12, 2024. https://bibleproject.com/podcast/what-does-it-mean-make-peace-beatitudes-pt-4/.

[6] P. 119.

[7]  Wedell-Wedellsborg, Thomas What’s Your Problem?: To Solve Your Toughest Problems, Change the Problems You Solve:

[8] P. 18

[9] PhD, Joseph Bentley, and Michael Toth PhD. Exploring Wicked Problems: What They Are and Why They Are Important. Archway Publishing, 2020.  P. 48.

Pam Lau

Pamela Havey Lau brings more than 25 years of experience in speaking, teaching, writing and mediating. She has led a variety of groups, both small and large, in seminars, trainings, conferences and teachings. Pam’s passion is to see each person communicate with their most authentic voice with a transparent faith in Jesus Christ. With more than 10, 000 hours of writing, researching, and teaching the heart and soul of Pam’s calling comes from decades of walking alongside those who have experienced healing through pain and peace through conflict. As a professor and author, Pam deeply understands the role of mentoring and building bridges from one generation to another. She has developed a wisdom in how to connect leaders with their teams. Her skill in facilitating conversations extends across differences in families, businesses, schools, universities, and nonprofits. Pam specializes in simplifying complex issues and as a business owner, has helped numerous CEOs and leaders communicate effectively. She is the author of Soul Strength (Random House) and A Friend in Me (David C. Cook) and is a frequent contributor to online and print publications. You can hear Pam’s podcast on Real Life with Pamela Lau on itunes. Currently, Pam is a mediator for families, churches, and nonprofits. You can contact Pam through her website: PamelaLau.com. Brad and Pam live in Newberg, Oregon; they have three adult daughters and one son-in-law. One small, vocal dog, Cali lives in the family home where she tries to be the boss! As a family they enjoy worshiping God, tennis, good food and spending time with family and friends.

11 responses to “Creative Minority Groups: Taming Wicked Problems Jesus-Style”

Answering your question #2: What diminishes trust:
    1. Not taking time to invest in relationships
    2. Inconsistency in stated vs observed values
    3. Technology interference (either with social media, handled devices, or virtual interactions)

Those are just off the top of my head- would love to hear others’ thoughts.

• Esther Edwards says:

I will tag team here adding to #2:
      4. A non-negotiable stance that is not offered in humility, without larger contextual theological underpinnings, or without a sense of compassion for all involved.
      5. Speaking off the cuff with reactionary measures, unwilling to take responsibility for how they come across and who they offend.
      7. Unwilling to to have a personal growth mindset.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Esther~I am very drawn to your second statement about how someone comes across when they are speaking and reacting. Do you think the virtue and tone of compassion is being muted? (I’m tying your first two comments together without realizing it).

• Esther Edwards says:

I do believe reaction is often based in fear or loss of control which makes it self-based. Compassion then often gets muted. It’s so important for us as leaders to always check our motives. However, on the other hand, in this Cancel Culture, pastors and ministry leaders often find themselves in a predicament of how to speak the truth of Scripture with authority (which many who did, died for in years past) but without offense to anyone. But is that really possible when the Bible says that the truth will offend? When I recount the sermons in the Bible, they were pretty straightforward and, at times, harsh. I would ask, does the harsh tone necessarily mean a lack of compassion if truth is spoken with authority and conviction?

• mm Pam Lau says:

Comprehensive response, Esther. At times, I long for more leaders to use more authority in their responses, much like Jesus when he entered the temple to find money changers. Perhaps we just don’t have enough confidence about what deems such a response?

• mm Pam Lau says:

Jen,
      I’m curious about your last statement about technology interference. Can you elaborate?

Pam, you also utilized the term “Jesus-style” like I did in my post. Interesting.

I wonder if we opted for “style” rather than “method” or “program” or “step-by-step blueprint for success” (notice I’m being somewhat silly), because of the acknowledgment that wicked problems need to be nuanced – addressed with a “style” rather than a “system.”

• mm Pam Lau says:

John,
      It’s not silly at all. I am sitting here studying the leadership styles of Joshua and Caleb–two characters I have either written or spoken about for many years. And as I am thinking about Wicked Problems and these two OT leaders, I see in them distinct Jesus-Style qualities yet different from one another. Neither led with a program or step by step guide! Yet, I might consider them the most “successful” execs of the Israelite crew. And by the way, I loved your “song” at the end of you blog. Have you seen Cher these days?!?!

Great post Pam, a lot to unpack in here, but the forgiveness piece struck me the most since I just had a conversation with a friend around this issue. I was sharing my view on “forgiveness” and it seems to come across to some people or those who have or are “deconstructing” as a “just let them off the hook with no accountability” card and I don’t believe it is.

I’ve known some folks, as I’m sure you have, who have been through some major abuse, trauma, and pain at the hands of others. Those who have come to forgive their abusers (sometimes it takes a while to surrender this) carry a different “spirit” to use the best word I can, and even admit they feel a consciousness shift versus the years of holding bitterness, anger, resentment, rage, etc. These people still hold others accountable and work to stop this type of abuse, but they do so in a different “spirit” that you can very much sense. This is the beauty of the gospel, forgiveness is not about who they are, but who we are, God loves and forgives because of who God is (love) not because we earn it or deserve it. The sun shines on the just and unjust because it is the sun’s nature! Ok, I’ll stop, I’m preaching to the choir here. Loved the posts Pam!!

• mm Pam Lau says:

Keep Preaching, brother! What is that different “spirit” you write about other than the Spirit of Christ? If there was a way to describe the shift that happens in a person’s heart, soul, mind through the radical transformation of forgiveness because it does seem intangible, doesn’t it? Thank you, Adam, for the depth of your response. It’s these kinds of issue I care so very much about. Also, Have you read Sacred Fire?

4. Hello Pam. In regard to giving forgiveness, I’m finding that many people struggle with this because they have unhealed wounds from the past. They are not aware of those unhealed wounds but when they have to think about forgiving someone, it is actually a trigger. A trigger that takes them back to past pain. All of this they are not even aware of. So they rationalize their reason for unforgiveness without even realizing their issues/wounds are deeper than they want to admit. Thus they continue to not forgive. Of course there is more to it but I’m sure you understand my point.