Crafting a Life of Leadership

Annie Dillard, in her beautiful book The Writing Life, says, “How we spend our days is of course how we spend our lives. What we do with this hour and that one is what we are doing.”[1]  Every time I begin the process of writing this blog I pick up a book and hold it in both my hands.  After I read the front and back cover, I immediately read through the table of contents.  Then, I Google the author and read as much as I can about who they are as a person. I have a need to know what motivates the person with whom I am about to spend time with by reading their work.  

Does it matter to us how the authors, whom we’ve been reading, spend their lives? After all, we are treating them as experts in their field.

For example, Dr. Eve Poole has a background in theology which I thought was intriguing considering her strong business sense. Here’s what I read on her website:

• The author of the book, Leadersmithing,[2] Eve Poole, started her career at the Church Commissioners for England, after gaining a BA in Theology from Durham University. She returned to education to gain an MBA from the University of Edinburgh Business School where she won AMBA Student of the Year. She honed her business skills at top consulting firm Deloitte, specializing in change management in the financial services industry. In 2010, Eve combined her two career tracks by gaining a PhD in Capitalism and Theology from Cambridge University.[3] 
  • By briefly researching the authors we’ve read so far, I’ve learned that Tom Comacho, author of Mining for Gold,[4] is a pastor in North Carolina with leadership experience in the military, business sector with General Electric, church planting and is a coaching coordinator with Vineyard.
  • Joseph Campbell was an American writer and a professor of literature at Sarah Lawrence College where he worked in comparative mythology and comparative religion. He is most famous for The Hero with a Thousand Faces.[5]
  • Jan Meyer and Ray Land, authors of Overcoming Barriers to Student Learning[6] are both professors in Education and higher education.

Why am I taking us through a simple background check on the writers on our list?  With a quick glance at “how they spend their lives,” I can only say they don’t share an enormous amount in common. Yet, In the books we’ve read so far a continual theme flowing through indirectly and at times directly is overcoming fear.  Each author takes a different approach in looking at how leaders face their fears, overcome the fear of imposter syndrome; offers practical solutions through hiring a coach, overcoming uncertainty and barriers in liminal spaces.

The book for this week’s reading held the same theme within its pages but with a twist that reflects how Dr. Poole spends her days and, I daresay, where her combining theology with business best expresses itself: Helping others prepare for the leadership challenges ahead: “If you can do something in miniature, it convinces both you and your master that you are ready for bigger things.”[7] 

Doesn’t that image give you a sense of inner confidence and for a moment alleviate the fear of something too big being placed on your shoulders?  

Leadersmithing feels like God’s practice with us as his workers in the world. Poole helps her clients rediscover the craft of leading and sets out to help them hone their key skills.  She masterfully helps anyone name their time, gifts and resources and identifies the muscle memory needed to lead. The heart of the book offers us 52 exercises to help take leadership one practical step at a time. In this way, Eve Poole addresses the question that could possibly be the first right question I’ve read so far on helping us with our leadership crisis: What makes people lose their courage? Her response? “Know what to expect (82).”[8]

In Matthew’s Gospel, we catch a glimpse of how God prepares us for bigger responsibilities. Jesus tells the parable of the talents where a man going on a journey entrusts his property to his servants. To one he gave five talents of money, to another he gave two and to one he gave one talent.  The first two simply double their talents and win over the master’s approval with a “Well done, good and faithful servant.” But the person who received the one talent was afraid and hid it in the ground. This angered the master and the servant lost everything.  It’s in this story where the oft quoted verse is found: “For everyone who has will be given more, and they will have an abundance.”[9] 

My sense in reading Eve Poole’s stories, examples, exercises and clever literary analogies is that she spends her days helping others nail down what they can do beautifully so more can come to them. Her entire book could be summed up like this: Leadersmithing is a craft to be honed over a lifetime. I believe Jesus was teaching the same thing to us in Matthew: Make something beautiful out of what I have given you. Learn to know what to expect as I don’t give you more than you can handle. Don’t be afraid. It’s a craft. It takes honing. And as Annie Dillard reminds us–what we do with this hour and that one is what we are doing.

[1] Dillard, Annie. The Writing Life. New York, NY: Harper Perennial, 2013.

[2] Poole, Eve. Leadersmithing: Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership. London ; New York, NY: Bloomsbury Business, 2017.

[3] Eve Poole. “Eve Poole.” Accessed February 13, 2023. 

[4] Camacho, Tom. Mining for Gold: Developing Kingdom Leaders through Coaching. Nottingham: IVP UK, 2019.

[5] “The Hero With A Thousand Faces: Campbell, Joseph.: Amazon.Com: Books.” Accessed February 2, 2023. 

[6] Routledge & CRC Press. “Overcoming Barriers to Student Understanding: Threshold Concepts and Troublesome Knowledge.” Accessed January 28, 2023. 

[7] Poole, Eve. Leadersmithing: Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership. London ; New York, NY: Bloomsbury Business, 2017.

[8] Poole, Eve. Leadersmithing: Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership. London ; New York, NY: Bloomsbury Business, 2017.

[9] NIV Bible. “The NIV Bible.” Accessed February 13, 2023. 

Pam Lau

Pamela Havey Lau brings more than 25 years of experience in speaking, teaching, writing and mediating. She has led a variety of groups, both small and large, in seminars, trainings, conferences and teachings. Pam’s passion is to see each person communicate with their most authentic voice with a transparent faith in Jesus Christ. With more than 10, 000 hours of writing, researching, and teaching the heart and soul of Pam’s calling comes from decades of walking alongside those who have experienced healing through pain and peace through conflict. As a professor and author, Pam deeply understands the role of mentoring and building bridges from one generation to another. She has developed a wisdom in how to connect leaders with their teams. Her skill in facilitating conversations extends across differences in families, businesses, schools, universities, and nonprofits. Pam specializes in simplifying complex issues and as a business owner, has helped numerous CEOs and leaders communicate effectively. She is the author of Soul Strength (Random House) and A Friend in Me (David C. Cook) and is a frequent contributor to online and print publications. You can hear Pam’s podcast on Real Life with Pamela Lau on itunes. Currently, Pam is a mediator for families, churches, and nonprofits. You can contact Pam through her website: PamelaLau.com. Brad and Pam live in Newberg, Oregon; they have three adult daughters and one son-in-law. One small, vocal dog, Cali lives in the family home where she tries to be the boss! As a family they enjoy worshiping God, tennis, good food and spending time with family and friends.

13 responses to “Crafting a Life of Leadership”

This was a great post, Pam. A couple of my thoughts as I read:
    – how interesting to think about how one’s background impacts their perspective. I am enjoying also watching that same truth play out in the blogs of our cohort. We can see the diversity of experience play out in each other’s writings.
    – I agree on how the mini experience is an encouragement. It makes me want to reflect on what opportunities I have now to take a mini-step in my own development.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Jen~ Yes! What mini experiences do we have now that we make beautiful so we can also have appropriate confidence in moving forward? Might such an exercise be a replacement for the imposter syndrome? There’s not much worse than working with a colleague who is arrogant; however, a team member riddled with self-doubt and second guessing is equally as painful. That’s what I liked about Dr. Poole’s practical book, she offered specific behaviors, attitudes and mental exercises to work on no matter where you were in the leadership journey. The whole time, however, she kept her eye on the necessity of preparation. Looking forward to meshing this out sometime!

Interesting look at the background of the various authors we’ve encountered.

You said, “Poole helps her clients rediscover the craft of leading and sets out to help them hone their key skills.” That reminded me of what she said at another point, “If you spend too much time correcting your weaknesses, you will average yourself out. Instead, muster your strengths. Hone them well, because they are the cornerstone of your brand. They are your ace in the hole.” (pg 78)

I’m still trying to work out how to apply this in my life. It seems counterintuitive at first glance. If I can identify my weak spots, it seems like I should work to grow in those areas. But in my experience, I can spend enormous amounts of energy trying to become something that I am just not. Do you have any advice on finding the appropriate balance?

• mm Pam Lau says:

Kim, I needed to read your response tonight as I am making lists for myself in areas where I am struggling. Just yesterday, I took my own face in my hands and gave myself a talking to. I said, “Pam, you cannot spent hours reading that commentary and then just think about it! Do something! Start writing your paper.” I am so aware of my weaknesses as a person who has mostly worked for herself. Not sure this is advice, but here’s what I have learned about spending an unduly amount of time with my eye on what I don’t do well. I’ve mentioned before a book called Deep Work by Cal Newport. He has a chapter on keeping track of your times of concentration. In that same chapter he offers ways to “measure” your time in getting things done. This might sound more like advice about focusing; however, I discovered that my ability to concentrate and focus is equal to me working in my strengths. The more distracted I am, the more I am listening to something inside asking me: WHY are you doing this? You don’t do it well and you don’t even like it. It’s a measuring for me. If I don’t have flow or joy I don’t see it as my strength. So I look for more opportunities like that–even if it means being creative with meetings to get a project done. I appreciate the quote by Dr.Poole.

Hi Pam this was a lovely read. I totally agree with you checking up on our authors. I ask my students in my “International Peace and Conflict Studies” class to do the same. IF we are treating them (our authors) as experts, wouldn’t it be disheartening to discover they didn’t actually work in the field or have any practical experience?

I am glad you counted Poole’s exercises. 52 of them! Something is bound to work. And Poole gives us such a wide range and approaches that almost everyone can find something that resonates with them.

I glommed onto the apprenticeship aspect. I could see it as a historic tool and one that is happening NOW. Especially in the military.

SWIETOSZOW, Poland — Poland’s president and defense minister met Monday with Polish and foreign instructors intensively training Ukrainian troops to operate the German-made Leopard 2 tanks that some European countries and Canada have offered Kyiv to help fight the Russian invasion. (https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/polish-officials-observe-training-ukrainians-new-tanks-97080484)

This is classic apprenticeship (in a Military Sense). Polish, Canadians and Norwegians are pouring into these young tank crew and by the end of March they will be technically competent to defend against the Russian offensive (although there is ample evidence that Russia is throwing their new recruits to the conflict around Bahkmut).

There is a strong Fight or Flight aspect going on in this apprenticeship. The training follows Poole’s MARC plan for learning. “M” – tank crews have a background knowledge of the old T-72 and mentors are helping them hang new skills on old background information. “A” the current conflict and price to pay has the attention of crews (nuff said). “Rehearsal” – the crews are on the tank range learning to get the process down into their muscle memory so that they can respond without thinking. “C” – because there are natural language barriers, instructors have to think of ways of bridging the linguistic chasm in ways that their “apprentices” can grasp.

A doctor friend of mine said to me that in HIS training, they learned by the surgical process of “See one, Do one, Teach one.” Poole talks to this on Page 46.

As always your comments are brilliant…Shalom…Russ

• mm Pam Lau says:

Russel, I love how you weaved together your thoughts on real life mentoring. But when you talked through the war piece, it made it so profound. Can you even imagine training and/or being mentored to drive a tank in war?! Of course there is fear! Of course there is a sense that one is not ready for such decisions. You are also reminding me how many of our United States Presidents fought in the wars before they took a different kind of leadership in government. Such good thoughts, Russel! Thank you.

4. Scott Dickie says:

Hi Pam,

Thanks for your thoughts. It made me wonder if you’ve done a background check on me! If you have, just remember that half of that stuff hasn’t been proven in the court of law.

Seriously, your comment: “Her entire book could be summed up like this: Leadersmithing is a craft to be honed over a lifetime” got me thinking: (1) What can we reasonably expect new leaders to know as they assume leadership roles? (2) How much of their required learning can ONLY be learned ‘on the field’ as they engage in leadership?

If some lessons can only be learned while engaging in the crucible of leadership and leadership is truly a craft honed over a lifetime, then the importance of a leader being a life-long learner seems to increase exponentially!

• mm Pam Lau says:

Well, Scott, to be honest, I did Google you when we returned from Cape Town because you offered me a job in your church (LOL). I couldn’t find anything outlandish about you!

Yes! Might being a lifelong learner be a criteria for being placed in a position? Further, are they life long learners about themselves? It’s in the area of the self that concerns me when it comes to leadership, management, directing. Have you ever worked with someone who was decent with their job but just couldn’t see themselves for who they were? I wonder what kind of mentoring that would look like?

Hi Pam, I really enjoyed reading your post and appreciate the window into how you approach the books we are reading each week. I have a similar approach and enjoy looking up the authors as well. So fascinating! Your description gave me the impression that you are welcoming both the book and the author as long lost friends. That feels rather comforting and heartwarming. Sometimes when I pick up our next book it is with a bit of panic. I am keeping your calm image in mind. Thank you! Out of curiosity, I googled a picture of a cadgwith font miniature. It wasn’t what I was expecting, but very beautiful. What is something you are doing in miniature that is honing one of your leadership skills? I am sure it’s beautiful!

• mm Pam Lau says:

Jenny, I think we may have a lot in common as books truly are my friends. Thank you for the question: What is something you are doing in miniature that is honing one of your leadership skills?
      Currently, I am contracting with the state as a Child and Family Law Mediator. After I published my last book, I found myself in situations with event coordinators, churches, and schools where I was placed in a position of constantly mediating. The only problem was I didn’t have the skills. In 2018, I took a 40 hour mediation course and loved it. I am still learning, training and practicing mediation part time. The one skill I believe that is becoming more beautiful in me is neutrality and listening at a deeper level. Funny thing is I used to think I was a good listener–I was mistaken. I am still learning. What about you?

“In the books we’ve read so far a continual theme flowing through indirectly and at times directly is overcoming fear.” I took a six month long leadership course for women during the pandemic. This overcoming fear theme was a prevalent theme during that course as well. It’s made me think about the fear I have regarding leadership. I’ve worked through a lot of that fear over the years – planting a community, solo pastoring, parenting teenagers, dealing with conflict, i.e. critical incidents have given me the confidence (and hopefully the character) to trust I can get through them and come out wiser. But even with these experiences fear can sometimes push the pause button on my life. During the fall our church spent a couple of months with the quote from the Rev. Frederick Buechner, “The place where God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness meets the world’s deep hunger.” I must have said that quote a million times this fall and each time I said it I thought, “I’m just not sure exactly what (career) would bring me deep gladness” Trust me, I am deeply glad person. I find great joy in so much in this world – family, friends, nature, etc. I’m just not entirely sure where God is calling me anymore. I used to KNOW I was to be a pastor – but now, I sense there might be something more…the problem is I don’t know what it is and to be honest, pastoring is comfortable for me and I’m a little fearful about doing something else.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Kally,
      I’ve been thinking about your comment for a few days–so I am sorry for taking so long to respond. What strikes me is that I believe deeply that we as a culture have places wayyyyy too much on finding pleasure and satisfaction in what is called our vocation/career–even our calling! Might you still be called as a pastor yet in that vocational calling, God is working in your “searching” for the good of others in ways you are unaware? Perhaps your own journey lived out in front of your adult children and even your teenagers sends them the message that it takes time, effort and patience to know what one truly wants? I agree with you in that what I know of you, you are a happy person. Maybe it’s not always about our jobs that God is after with us. Let’s hike South Sister and talk about it!