Consumerism, Sneetches, and Teenage Rebellion

In the book Nation of Rebels, Why Counterculture Became Consumer Culture  (aka The Rebel Sell), Canadian Philosophy professors Joseph Heath and Andrew Potter pen an innovative critique of the idea the there is a mainstream culture and an alternative counterculture.  Through many colorful examples (Freud, Marx, Kurt Cobain, Burberry, The Matrix) they illustrate the pervasiveness of the idea that there is a counterculture that works against the mainstream.  In fact, they believe that it is the counterculture that drives the mainstream economically.

Like the “Star Bellied Sneetches” of Dr. Suess’ 1953 children’s classic, The Sneetches and Other Stories, cultural rebels will go to great lengths to identify themselves as different that the rest.  In Seuss’ book, the antihero, Sylvester McMonkey McBean, makes a healthy profit off the Sneetches who are constantly trying to be different than the others.  As Heath and Potter put it, “Not everyone can be a rebel” (p. 129).

There is a satirical feel to the book as the authors characterize the movement towards organic/free range food as just another opportunity for elitists to stand out from the herd of consumers—while spending a lot more at the supermarket.  The irony is clear.

As I read the book, I reflected on my 20 years spent in youth ministry.  I was a teenager in the 1980s, and I was deeply tied to the youth culture in the 1990s through 2010 when I moved to my current position.

While I was serving as a youth minister, I understood there would always be a segment of teens who would identify as “rebels.”  Whether this was displayed via clothing, music, hairstyles, or political beliefs; since the end of World War Two, teenagers have had a love/hate relationship with popular culture.  This relationship was symbiotic (which is in line with the thinking of Heath and Potter).  Movie production companies were quick to take note and exploit this rebellion against society by producing films which attracted teenager while shocking the older generations.

While Marlon Brando’s The Wild One is certainly to be noted, the best example is the 1955 classic Blackboard Jungle, starring Glenn Ford as a gutsy teacher who tries to shape a hoard of rebellious teens into productive students.  In the film, the teacher disposes of the “bad apple” and wins the class over.  In the process, Blackboard Jungle solidified the generational divide that arose post-WWII.  It even introduced an anthem for this generation, Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and the Comets.

https://youtu.be/HA0_NRjx9KQ

The story of Blackboard Jungle has been rewritten and filmed in several subsequent eras.  To Sir With Love is a 1967 retelling of this story, set in London.  It is to be noted the actor who played the teacher in To Sir with Love, Sydney Poitier, had a role in Blackboard Jungle as one of the rebellious teens.  This film also included a hit theme song that was performed by a student at the end of the film.

The 1988 film Stand and Deliver is basically Blackboard Jungle retold in the context of a Latino school in East Los Angeles in the 1980s (with the title track performed by Mr.Mister).

1995’s Dangerous Minds is Blackboard Jungle set in a 90’s urban setting (this time Rock Around the Clock was replaced with Coolio’s megahit Gangsta’s Paradise).  Dangerous Minds had a twist, this time the teacher was played by a woman (Michelle Pfeiffer).

All of these films have near identical plotlines and they were all commercial successes.  Teens paid a lot of money to see their generation on display.  They noted the clothes, the slang, the angst, and the music (which could also be purchased).   For the adults watching the films, they were both shocked at the display of the teenage rebellion, and satisfied at the optimistic resolution as the teacher persevered and became the true hero of the film.  Either way, the movie and record companies made a lot of cash.

While Hollywood movies give us an insight into one aspect of the commercialization of rebellion, the most insightful film was the 2001 documentary The Merchants of Cool.   Filmmaker Douglas Rushkoff exposes the direct link to marketing companies to the youth culture, “corporate America’s 150 billion dollar dream.”  From interviewing and photographing popular teenagers at various high schools to see what is “cool,” (then selling the data to companies in order to create national trends) to forcing a product upon a demographic (like when Sprite was heavily marketed to African Americans via free products at hip-hop events). Merchants of Cool vividly illustrates Heath and Potter’s premise.  Over 15 years since its release on Frontline, PBS still has the Merchants of Cool website running where the documentary can be viewed.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/

While Nation of Rebels is not focused on teenagers, I personally feel that it should be required reading for those studying youth ministry.  It is undeniable that teenagers are greatly influenced by the worldviews presented by Heath and Potter.

Heath, Joseph, and Andrew Potter. Nation of rebels: why counterculture became consumer culture. New York, NY: HarperBusiness, 2009.

Stu Cocanougher

11 responses to “Consumerism, Sneetches, and Teenage Rebellion”

1. What a repertoire of movies! I really liked “To Sir with Love” and the powerful message of discrimination it gave. Clearly, you’re a movie guy and I know who to go to when I need a good movie to watch.
    Great example with the Sneetches! So perfect for the cool people and uncool people. Dr. Seuss just nails the most complex issues in the most delightful way. I wonder if you can get Jason to put his books on the next read list?

1953 classic I assume – I don’t think Dr Seuss was around in 1593?!

A great movie review Stu! Some great comparisons and insights from a veteran (read “old”) youth worker! Very well put.
    Some of the best youth workers that I have known over the years have definitely not been the cool young hipsters – but the slightly uncool, older ones, who have loved the kids and ministered Jesus to them with a great big dollop of authentiticity!

• Stu Cocanougher says:

Yes. Some of the best youth workers that I have ever known were senior adults. Love is definitely the universal language.

• Katy Lines says:

Agreed, Geoff! My dad has been a youth sponsor since before I was in the youth group (epochs ago). He jokes with the kids about his “uncool-ness” but is well loved by them because he loves them. He’s attended many of their weddings (and some of their funerals), counseled, prayed, and invests in their lives. His “coolness” is not a factor in their perception of him; his consideration and care for them is what matters.

Love the way your reflection matched the book, Stu!!
    As I’m getting older I find that I can relate more to teens. Weird, huh?
    I don’t get freaked at the pink mohawks anymore. I look for a way to talk to them. I have found that the ones that look so rebellious on the outside are actually pretty friendly and will talk to an adult who looks interested.
    Great movie line-up; I’ll have to check some out!!

5. Every generation was considered a rebel especially through the history of clothing and music style.
    There was a year for women felt they had to wear corsets to have a small waist to the raising of the skirts above the knee. The music was rebellious creating the jitterbug dance, rock & roll to hip hop.
    Now we are reverting back to some of the past culture fashion statements, from the corset to now the waist shaper.

6. Stu while I do agree that corporate entities do see opportunity and financial gain with marketing to the wants and desires of the counter culture rebel, I do believe that every generation in many ways is a reflection of the generation before. Contextually, every generation had its own motivating drivers that either propelled the system forward or worked tirelessly to change it. In addition to that media is an outlet by which people make connections by seeing themselves in the story. By entertainment companies retelling the same story in ways that the current generation can relate to but also in a way that is familiar to the generation before they are in essence portraying what it means to be a timeless storyteller.

• Stu Cocanougher says:

” By entertainment companies retelling the same story in ways that the current generation can relate to but also in a way that is familiar to the generation before they are in essence portraying what it means to be a timeless storyteller.”

While the “Blackboard Jungle” narrative has been told over and over again, in the 1980s a counter-narrative was told. This narrative made the delinquents superior to the teacher, who was a buffoon. The best examples are THE BREAKFAST CLUB and FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF. Many Gen-Xers grew up as latchkey kids and these films connected with their notions of skepticism and independence. There were an assortment of other films (SIXTEEN CANDLES, PRETTY IN PINK, and even HOME ALONE) that reinforced this value. Gen-X was the one generation that did not connect as a whole with the “Blackboard Jungle” narrative.

Watching your movie clips was intriguing! Also made me think of Footloose, where the rebel students end up winning and change an entire town [incidentally, a similar incident recently made the news again: http://nypost.com/2017/02/09/real-life-footloose-town-scraps-valentines-day-dance-party/%5D.
    I think the challenge for youth ministers is not simply recognizing but responding to this in a way that helps students navigate their identity in their world, and in Christ.