Coaching is a Process (Kejurulatihan Adalah Satu Proses)

For our initial assignment last week, we explored the works by Adler, Mortimer Jerome, and Charles Van Doren, “How to Read a Book,” along with Ahrens, Sönke’s “How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning, and Thinking.” I applied the reading and note-taking techniques from these sources to this week’s material, complete reading Tom Camacho’s “Mining for Gold” book in five hours—an extraordinary feat for my typically slow reading pace.
It dawned on me that last weeks’ assignment was designed as a coaching exercise, aimed to guide us in reading and note-taking effectively. Reflecting on the experience, I found it quite remarkable. I am curious if others (you) shared a similar sentiment. Care to share?

Throughout my professional journey, I have embraced dual roles as both a mentor and a mentee. In my current role, my employer provides coaching services through the Employee Assistance Program. I have availed myself of this program on multiple occasions—during moments of feeling stuck, when seeking advancement, negotiating compensation, and addressing various related matters. Applying the principles suggested by my coach through this program has proven to be a liberating and empowering experience.
Coaching is a dynamic journey that empowered me to unlock my potential. It grounded me in active listening, effective communication, and goal setting. While being coached, I navigated challenges, built confidence, and improved my skills, particularly in approaching my directors for career advancement.
Therefore, I truly enjoyed reading, taking notes and color-coding Tom Camacho’s “Mining for Gold” book.

I resonated with Camacho’s definition, [1] Coaching is the process of coming alongside a person or a team to help them discover God’s agenda for their life and ministry and then cooperating with the Holy Spirit to see that agenda becomes a reality.
Between 2017 and 2019, encompassing a two-year commitment, I had the privilege of serving as a mentor within my organization. It was not only a source of enjoyment and honor to accompany and support an individual in their ambitions, but it also instilled in me a profound sense of responsibility to pray for that person. I sought guidance from the Holy Spirit for the individual’s best interests and relied on divine inspiration to coach and mentor effectively. In moments of inquiry, I trusted the Holy Spirit to provide the right responses.

Camacho’s emphasis on relationships (pp. 166-167). [2] Our relationships are infinitely more valuable than money…The parable from Matthew 15:14-29, investing in our talents to bring a return (ROI). This kind of investment pleases the Master. Camacho reflected on Barnabas, investing a significant part of his life into mining for gold in the apostle Paul – a relationship worthy of investment and the result brought significant teaching to the world. This statement is electrifying!

As I worked through each chapter, I addressed the majority of the questions at the end of each chapter. The realization emphasized in the statement, [3]”To thrive, we must begin with God,” (p.46), prompted me to pause and deeply contemplate. While the concept was not entirely new to me, taking a moment to silently reflect on the notion that everything starts with God compelled me to cease my independent efforts. I sought God’s forgiveness and invited the Holy Spirit to guide me in this assignment, and the experience proved to be profoundly impactful.

I find Part 2, “God’s Refining Process,” to be a chapter worth pondering prayerfully. The emphasis on the Holy Spirit leading our lives towards becoming spirit-filled leaders resonated with me, drawing parallels to Nehemiah. Nehemiah’s journey, from receiving news about rebuilding the walls to facing challenges and seeking guidance from God, reflects a refining process that transformed him into one of the greatest leaders in the Old Testament.

The Six Principles That Lead to Thriving—Camacho’s teachings on what a thriving leader looks like appear practical, even in a corporate environment. Despite my own impulsiveness, fear, self-assurance, pride, and weakness, God’s goodness extends to recognizing both the gold and dross within me, much like Jesus saw in Simon Peter.
Camacho’s analogy of sailing and rowing gained significance for me. Reflecting on whether my life and ministry feel more like sailing or rowing (question #4 p. 107), I realize I am rowing the majority of the time. These passages prompted me to pause my reading and engage in a conversation with Jesus.

Each of us has a sweet spot. (p. 136). I am looking forward to exercising the lessons from this chapter with my junior team members based on 1. Our passion, 2. Our wiring and 3. Our fruit. As for me personally, my light bulb went off when I read, [5]‘If you are good with people and easily connect with lots of different types of folks, you need to things that involve people.’ (p. 141).

This book is inspiring because Camacho invites readers to prayerfully ponder and engage with the refining process, emphasizing the role of the Holy Spirit in shaping spirit-filled leadership.

[1] Bob Logan, https://loganleadership.com
[2] [3] [4] [5] Camacho, Tom, Mining for Gold. London: IVP, 2019.

Shela Sullivan

Born and raised on the vibrant Penang Island in Malaysia. "Mari Makan!!" — a cherished Malaysian greeting that reflects the warmth of shared meals. Since 1996, I have called Oregon, United States, my home. I enjoy the raindrops and the serenity of its beaches. The ocean connects me to nature and energizes me. I hold Bachelor's in Business & Marketing from University of Phoenix, Master's in Spiritual Formation from George Fox University and Congressional Leadership (Lay Pastoral) Certificate from Dubuque Theological Seminary. I work as a Category Manager for a power utility company and serve as an ordained Presbyterian Traveling Pastor. My aspirational career goal is to become an inspirational speaker. I reside with my husband, David Sullivan, and our fur-baby, Rolo. Our shared passions include traveling, exploring diverse cuisines, home improvements and classic cars. Favorite Bible Verse: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4 ~

14 responses to “Coaching is a Process (Kejurulatihan Adalah Satu Proses)”

1. Adam Cheney says:

Shela,
    It is great to read your thoughts and the way that both of these books have helped shape your journey over the last couple of weeks. I do assume that the books are layed out in a particular order for a particular reason. It could be a grand design or simply when Camacho is available to meet with us.
    I am interested to hear that you are already meeting with a coach and that it has been an impactful thing for you. I do wonder if your experience with a coach has been similar to the ways in which Camacho prescribes? I am not aware of the organization or the work you do but I wonder if it is a Christian organization and if you have a coach that is a Christian who is also relying on the Holy Spirit as he/she guides you? If not, how is your experience different than what is shared in the book?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Adam, thank you for reading my blog.

I serve as a Senior Category Manager in a non-Christian corporation. My first coaching experience was during the Illuminating Women in Leadership program, aimed at preparing me for career advancement. Although my coach, a Christian, did not employ techniques similar to Camacho’s. The sessions were effective, focusing on career progression without religious influence. Lasting six months, the coaching significantly benefited me, covering interview preparation, negotiation strategies, and effective communication.

While my coach’s approach involved face-to-face sessions, Camacho’s book provides guidance solely through written content. Despite this difference, I acknowledge that both coaches likely incorporated common steps, processes, and tools. It is noteworthy that, in my case, I sensed a spiritual aspect, perhaps guided by the Holy Spirit, even though religion was not explicitly addressed in the sessions.

2. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Thanks Shela what a fantastic post! I appreciate your honest confessions and how this book is reminding you of the importance of God at work in and through us as we interact with others. And what a great connection that we were ‘coached’ last week as we prepared to begin this course together.

It sounds like color coding and note taking helped worked your way through this book effectively. I’m curious, in your world, who and how you will apply what you learned this week? Also, how does camacho’s book influence the research you are doing?

Thanks so much again I really enjoyed reading your post!

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Ryan thank you for reading my post.

I operate within a team-oriented setting, where I consistently provide support to a specific junior team member in building her confidence. I find resonance with Camacho’s definition, [1] where coaching is described as the process of coming alongside an individual or a team to help them discover their purpose in life and ministry, and then working collaboratively to bring that purpose into reality. In my interactions with the junior team member, I employ a more generic language to uplift her confidence, steering clear of explicit references to religious terminology such as God or the Holy Spirit.
      Within the context of my NPO, my focus is on next-generation leadership (Millennials and Gen-Z), Camacho’s book provides a straightforward framework that is easily adaptable.

[1] Camacho, Tom, Mining for Gold. London: IVP, 2019.

3. Diane Tuttle says:

Shela, Thanks for your post. Sometimes I think I can be really close to God and I am connected to God a lot. Then I read your post about stopping to pray about what you read and I am inspired to invite God into the reading. Sometimes inviting God into the mundane of life is missed by me. Thank you for that reflection.
    I wonder if you have considered coaching as a direction for you as you explore where God is leading you next. Blessings to you.

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Thank you for Diane for commenting on my post!

I appreciate the encouragement. Yes, I typically take on two mentees each year and provide coaching. However, due to school and work commitments, I had to forgo taking on mentees this year.

4. Noel Liemam says:

Hi, Sheila, that’s a good way of looking at last week’s assignments; yes, I certainly felt that it’s a preparation for the coming readings as well. And thank you for sharing your thoughts on the readings especially on the sailing and rowing. I felt the same, rowing especially when I do my way and sailing when HE carried me.
    Thank you

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Noel, I am glad you resonate with my perspective on last week’s assignments. It is interesting how the readings, particularly the analogy of sailing and rowing, had a similar impact on both of us. I completely understand the sense of rowing when navigating things independently and the feeling of sailing when guided by a higher power.
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

5. Nancy Blackman says:

Shela,
    Ooohhhh, interesting that you felt like last week’s assignment was a coaching exercise. I have to sit back and think about that!

You mention the role of the Holy Spirit, and I have found that to be true not just for coaching but for walking through life. Maybe I’m more Pentacostal than Presbyterian — LOL, but I do think that the Holy Spirit does “provide the right responses” if we’re willing to listen, right?

You hit on a spot — maybe your sweet spot? — at the end that, the little I know of you, seems so appropriate. You do connect easily with others and if this is one step in your journey of connecting with more people, what might your future ministry look like and how does Camacho’s concept of looking for the vein of gold and allowing it to show up every day look like for you?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Thank you, Nancy, for reading my blog.

I have been reflecting on the questions posed in Camacho’s book, and I envision myself as an inspirational speaker.

6. mm Kari says:

Shela, thank you for your investment in the lives of others! It is clear you have a gift and a passion for it. What is a practical step you are going to to take stop “rowing” ?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Kari,
      Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have decided to take a break from rowing, ha!ha!ha! After coming across the distinction between rowing and sailing, I am attempting to be more mindful. Last week, I deliberately refrained from trying to control a situation. Instead, I entrusted it to God, fulfilling my part without playing the role of a marvel girl superhero. Surprisingly, it turned out well—maybe letting go of control is not such a bad thing after all.

7. Elysse Burns says:

Shela, I too applied Adler’s inspectional reading rules for the first time last week! I was shocked at how much I understood and could put together even if I didn’t read every word. This skeptic is now a believer!

Thank you for sharing your experiences as a mentor. It is obvious that you have approached your role in a very God-reverent and others-centered way. It is a source of inspiration for me as I reflect on my interactions with the potential gold around me.

I appreciate how you prayerfully approach the reading material. I can easily treat assigned readings and homework as just another box to check off on my list. The material we read is much richer when we approach it through the lens of the Holy Spirit. I agree with Camacho and with you: “To thrive, we must begin with God.”

8. mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Elysee,
    Thank you for your encouraging words. Approaching my coursework with the guidance of the Holy Spirit truly alleviates any anxiety. – Psalm 61:2 –