Changing What I Think is Possible

Leadership has the power to “change the way people think about what is possible.”[1]

This power has given rise to much interest in leadership research over the last century at an unprecedented rate, documenting styles, processes, theories, and proposed leadership solutions.[2] Hunt counted more than “10,000 empirical studies on leadership”[3] and Northouse notes the development of “65 different classification systems” over a 60year period.[4] Dr. Jason Clark commented that in 2015, leadership books were being published at a rate of four per day and this has grown over the last eight years. That would be 1,460 per year or 4,000 from when we start our Doctoral program and when we graduate.[5] Dr. Clark mentioned that we are just a drop in the proverbial leadership ocean and yet, even with its vast expanse, jumping into the ocean feet first, fully immersed, is what is needed.[6]

“Leadership: Theory and Practice” by Peter G. Northouse, is said to be the Bible of all leadership books. There is no doubt Northouse has kept up with the times. Each edition brings yet more leadership approaches and theories to the forefront. I read this book in my Master’s program and remember how informative it was to see myself in the different styles Northouse explained. His case studies and chapter-ending assessments made this theoretical textbook very readable and applicable. Now, as I skim over it, four years later, it has caused me to reminisce over all that God has done and continues to do in me as I have risked and jumped into the leadership ocean to greater levels. So bear with me as I share a bit of my journey.

In every ministry context, I easily took on leadership roles, I just did so usually without titles or the need to be titled as a leader. It was six years ago, that one of our staff pastors, who was my daughter’s age, asked me why I had never been credentialed as a minister since I served in that capacity my whole life. I mentioned I had no need. I was happy to be a lay pastor, serving with my husband. Her response was what began to change my thinking. I don’t remember exactly her words, but what resonated was that my example was needed to a younger generation of women who desire to have a voice and lead in their contexts.

I began to realize I had bought into the lie all through the years that women, especially in ministerial leadership, were pushy and prideful. (Perhaps because some of those that were changing the societal mold, had to have some of those qualities to survive.) Northouse, in his chapter on “Gender and Leadership,” notes “women face significant gender biases and social disincentives when they self-promote and negotiate.”[7]  I further began diagnosing the deeper issues of fear and self-doubt that lay embedded in my thinking.

Being in a denomination that is now fully encouraging women in the areas of ministerial leadership and living in an area that encourages women in leadership, I truly had no excuse so I jumped in feet first and began the process of ordination. It is interesting how when you say yes in one area of your life, God has a way of opening other doors that complement that step of faith. It was at that point, that I decided to make a major career change, embarked on a new business venture, became an ICF-certified coach, and began a new educational journey. It has been exciting, daunting, and evolutionary. On the flip side, it has caused a deeper dying to self, greater introspection, and the need to face uncomfortable thresholds of learning.  Together, though, God is using it all to form and shape who I am as a person and as a leader.

In closing, I ask, what negative paradigms of thought have kept you from embracing who you are as a leader?

How has your leadership journey changed the way you think about what is possible?

[1] Peter G. Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice, 8th ed. (Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc., n.d.). 14

[2] Zhu, J. Song, L. Zhu & R. E. Johnson, “Visualizing the Landscape and Evolution of Leadership Research.,” 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2018.06.003. 1.

[3] Burton, R. M. & Obel B., Strategic Organizational Diagnosis and Design: The Dynamics of Fit, 3rd ed. (Boston, MA, 2004). 93.

[4] Peter G. Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice. 5.

[5] Dr. Jason Clark, “Feet First and the Sweetest Sound: A Metaphors for Learning – Talk #1” (Portland Seminary Oxford Advance, Oxford, England, September 20, 2023).

[6] Dr. Jason Clark.

[7] Peter G. Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice. 409.

Esther Edwards

Esther has served in ministry leadership for over 35 years. She is an ordained minister, an ICF and CCLC certified coach, and licensed coach trainer. Her and her husband have launched their own coaching practice, Enjoy the Journey Leadership Coaching and seek to train ministry leaders in the powerful skill of coaching. Esther loves hiking, reading, and experiencing new coffee shops with friends and family. She enjoys the journey with her husband, Keith, their four daughters, sons-in-law, and their four, soon to be five, beautiful grandchildren.

11 responses to “Changing What I Think is Possible”

Hmmm Negative paradigms….

When I went out to the mission field people thought: 1) I was a communist Chinese person living in Hungary, 2) I was U.S. CIA living in Hungary and 3) A U.S. Army guy retired living in Hungary.

#3 is/was true, but it was funny to see that #1 and #2 were common beliefs about who I was for a couple of years.

Oddly, sticking out like a sore thumb attracted youth to our sports ministry program. I suppose there was a certain amount of street credibility in hanging out with the village “American (I almost said village idiot).

This in part changed my leadership journey from dictator (sort of) to coach/friend/mentor.

As I launch some 20 somethings to Ukraine, I find that the latter style Coach/Friend/Mentor is something that is so much more effective.

Shalom..

• Esther Edwards says:

Russell,
      I can imagine you had your trying moments on the mission field!
      You mentioned “Oddly, sticking out like a sore thumb attracted youth to our sports ministry program.” I love that you were able to see the good that God could bring from other’s misconceptions of who you were instead of simply being offended and defended.
      In those undefended spaces, it seems the ability to be a coach, friend, mentor has greater space to grow in all of us.

2. Your post on leadership’s impact and your personal evolution is quite compelling. It’s interesting how you’ve reexamined and overcome the traditional views on women in leadership roles. Your transition from serving as a lay pastor to taking on official ministerial roles and pursuing new ventures showcases the impact of challenging one’s own beliefs about leadership. In your experience, was there a particular concept or idea from Northouse’s book that stood out as especially relevant or useful in navigating your journey and new challenges?

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Mathieu,
      I thought Northouse’s chapter on Gender and Practice was well-written and truly brought to light some of the struggles that women face. He quotes Margaret Atwood as saying “We still think of a powerful man as a born leader and a powerful woman as an anomaly.” (p. 404).
      I remember attending a retreat with several other women who were extremely gifted ministerial leaders. As we were sitting around the dinner table discussing ministerial leadership, one asked “How is it when a man takes control of a situation he is thought to be a wise leader, but when a woman takes control of a situation, she is thought of as bossy.” Every single one of us agreed that we have all had to temper our leadership styles to accommodate these views. Northouse appropriately brings light to these issues but also does not shy away from stating the differing strengths that women do bring to the table in regards to communication, and a morphing of leadership styles into greater realms of democratic and transformational leadership styles. (p. 415)

Esther! I am so glad you jumped in with both feet! I so resonate with the wisdom of the staff pastor that encouraged you to ordination. Growing up we had ordained women pastors in our church. They were intimately involved in my teenage life as one was our youth pastor and the other an associate pastor and best friends with my mom who was on church staff as a choir director. When I got to college and joined a campus ministry outside of my denomination I was told I could never be ordained bc I am a woman. I remember being utterly shocked as I had never heard that before. Thankfully the two women pastors I had grown up with encouraged me. At one point I thought about returning to the denomination that had told me women couldn’t be pastors – just to be a thorn in their side – but wisely these women encouraged me to return to the denomination where I had grown up and where my gifts as a woman would be fully appreciated and valued.

• Esther Edwards says:

Kally,
      I’m glad you jumped in as well! Thank goodness for the voices that invest and inspire us to think outside of misconstrued perceptions. I’m looking forward to seeing how the Lord leads your pastoral leadership journey in the future.

Hi Esther,
    Our journeys are so similar. I agree with you when you say, “…my example was needed to a younger generation of women who desire to have a voice and lead in their contexts.” I am discovering that along the way but also find younger women so much better at being assertive. And I am right with you on diagnosing my own “deeper issues of fear and self-doubt.” For me it comes down to fears of using my voice and under certain circumstances being paralyzed by indecision. Leadership is a life long process for sure! After reading Jana’s post I hope you are being paid appropriately for your work. What has been your biggest challenge to “jumping into leadership” in your context?”

Jenny,
    I have always been paid, but have often not asserted myself in this arena.
    My biggest challenge has been my own inhibition. I do find our denomination has become much more accepting of women in leadership, but years of seeing my role as subservient still inhibits me in many ways. You are right, it truly is a life long process but we have come a long way!

6. Cathy Glei says:

Esther,
    Our call to ministry sounds very similar. I am grateful for my mentor, friend and Free Methodist Bishop, Kaye Kolde. She has been a great source of encouragement on my path to ordination. I will be ordained in May 2024, after a three year track from LMC to CMC. Grateful for the Lord’s direction, guidance, and provision.

• Esther Edwards says:

Congratulations, Cathy! I am so thankful that I finally took the steps to move forward and am seeing it open more doors than I had anticipated. I used to believe a title did not matter, but it does in many situations, especially globally.
      God is so faithful in guiding us for His purposes.

7. Esther!

Your questions about negative paradigms and the impact of leadership on one’s perspective are thought-provoking. Self-awareness and overcoming limiting beliefs are crucial steps in personal and leadership development. Leadership indeed has the potential to expand one’s horizons and change the way they perceive what is possible.

Thank you for sharing your journey and raising important questions for self-reflection.