Calvinist and Hobbes

My introduction to Calvinism occurred in my 40s, quite by chance, through a conversation with a pastor I had become acquainted with. To my initial bewilderment, he confessed his affiliation with Calvinism, a theological doctrine. At that moment, I mistakenly believed he was referring to his affinity for the popular comic strip “Calvin and Hobbes.” However, as he began to explain the disparities between Calvinism and Arminianism, I quickly realized that there was a whole world of theological concepts and debates that had eluded my awareness for so long.

It’s not with pride that I recount my prior ignorance but rather with the intention of providing context for my subsequent engagement with Max Weber’s seminal work, “The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.”

In Weber’s comprehensive analysis, he delves deep into the intricate relationship between ascetic Protestantism, with particular emphasis on Calvinism, and the development of what he terms the “spirit of capitalism.” At the core of Weber’s thesis lies the concept of asceticism, a lifestyle characterized by self-discipline, self-denial, and the deliberate renunciation of worldly pleasures. Weber contends that this ascetic Protestantism, especially the tenets of Calvinism, played a pivotal role in shaping the Protestant work ethic, which, in turn, greatly influenced the rise of capitalism.[1]

During the time of Weber’s work, capitalism had already matured into a dominant economic paradigm. Key characteristics of capitalism, such as private ownership, competitive markets, capital accumulation, and global expansion, had firmly taken root, with Western nations actively participating in international trade and imperialistic endeavors. Notably, Weber’s native Germany was no exception, with both the Lutheran and Catholic churches owning land and having financial interests in various industries. In this economic landscape, there was a prevailing ethos that underscored hard work, frugality, and the belief that success in business and the amassing of wealth were indicators of God’s favor. For Calvinists, this was especially significant, as their core belief held that God had predestined a limited number of souls for salvation, an eternal fate beyond any mortal’s control. Consequently, material success was perceived as a tangible sign of divine selection.[2]

This worldview found prominence in early 20th-century Germany, where a substantial segment of the population adhered to the principles of ascetic Protestantism. However, in contemporary America, it appears that such beliefs have significantly waned. The startling fact of consumer debt in the United States surpassing the trillion-dollar mark stands as a testament to the shift away from the frugal and disciplined principles that once underpinned the Protestant work ethic.[3]

Yet, Stephen Kalberg, in his work “Max Weber’s ‘Protestant Ethic’ in the 21st Century,” argues that Weber’s perspective on capitalism should not be conflated with modern capitalism alone. Weber’s analysis encompasses a broader notion of capitalism, which he terms “Universal Capitalism.” This concept extends beyond the boundaries of time and culture, representing an economic system driven by profit. Universal Capitalism is a fundamental idea, unconfined by specific historical contexts or cultural confines, encompassing the pursuit of economic gain, rationalization, and the profit motive. It is a constant undercurrent, observable across various societies and epochs, transcending Weber’s initial focus on the Protestant work ethic and the modernizing West.[4]

Jason Clark, in his paper on “Evangelicalism and Capitalism,” furthers this interpretation by examining Weber’s use of “Ideal Thought” as a methodological tool in his analysis of the Protestant Work Ethic thesis. Ideal Thought is not a moral ideal or an average representation but a heuristic description that aids in comprehending complex realities, he writes. It serves as a means to elucidate the collective ideals and characteristics of specific groups, such as Protestants, facilitating the identification of patterns and distinctions in real-world phenomena. Ideal Thought aids in weaving together the intricate tapestry of religious, ethical, and economic factors at play in the development of capitalism.[5]

Intriguingly, the creator of “Calvin and Hobbes,” Bill Watterson, provides a contemporary example of ascetic values in the modern capitalist world. Despite achieving fame and recognition within the capitalist economy, Watterson adhered to a strict code of hard work and lived a notably frugal lifestyle. What truly sets him apart is his steadfast refusal to license his beloved creations for adaptation into television shows, movies, or other commercial ventures. This decision, in itself, is a testament to Watterson’s adherence to principles that align closely with ascetic values. It raises the thought-provoking question of whether, in his own way, Watterson was not merely a cartoon artist but a modern-day exemplar of the Calvinist spirit, committed to the disciplined and principled lifestyle he held dear. Perhaps he could best be defined as a Calvinist and Hobbes.

[1] Weber, Max. The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. (New York, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2011) p 117
[2] Ibid., p 103
[3] “Americans’ credit card debt hits a record $1 trillion.” CNN, 8 August 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/08/economy/us-household-credit-card-debt/index.html.
[4] Kalberg, Stephen. Max Weber’s ‘Protestant Ethic’ in the 21st Century. (Routledge, 2001) by p7
[5] Clark, Jason. Evangelicalism and Capitalism (Ch.3 ‘Assurance, Anxiety and The Protestant Work Ethic) p 86

Mathieu Yuill

While raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens may be a few of Julia Andrews' favourite things, here are a few of mine: Talking to strangers, Learning about what you do for fun, Conversation over coffee. I own a marketing and communications company in Toronto, Canada called Leading With Nice. There are a lot of names I could have given the company but a trusted friend encouraged me to name it that because I really value the humanness in us all. Bah - this is starting to sound like a horrible LinkedIn post. So whatever, let's have coffee. I'd love to hear about what you do for fun!

11 responses to “Calvinist and Hobbes”

Hi Matthew,
    Thank you, thank you for a concise synopsis of Weber/Clark. My mind is still unraveling itself.

This week I focused on capitalism, evangelism and Bebbington’s activism (although I forgot to give him the credit in the post).

So I may have missed the boat on Calvinism (everyone else got it).

• You’re welcome! It’s great that you focused on capitalism, evangelism, and Bebbington’s activism in your post. Each topic provides valuable insights into the complex interplay of factors that shape our world. Don’t worry about missing the boat on Calvinism; there’s always room to explore different aspects of these topics.

Hello, Matthew,
    I concur with Russell. I enjoyed your greater dive into Calvinism. I have heard much about it, but did not understand it thoroughly. I do remember a pastor friend who began to become entrenched with its teachings and there was such a change for the negative in his congregation. It was shaped by many extremes, including the thought that he was to dominate his wife and household. It was a sad scenerio. He eventually left ministry and his wife. So sad.

• Esther,

I appreciate your feedback, and I’m glad to hear that my dive into Calvinism provided you with a better understanding of the topic. It’s unfortunate to hear about the negative impact it had in your pastor friend’s congregation, and situations like that emphasize the importance of balanced and thoughtful interpretation of theological doctrines. If you ever have more questions or want to explore other theological or philosophical topics, feel free to reach out. Thank you for sharing your perspective and I always enjoy the chance to chat with you.

Hi Mathieu,
    My husband gave me a brief summary of the differences between Calvinism and Arminianism after I read Weber. I get a bit confused by it all, as well!
    I enjoyed your clever connection between Calvin and Hobbs. I never knew Bill Watterson had his own inspired response to his earnings and lifestyle. Having done poorly in my one and only economics class in university I don’t grasp these economic concepts well. As someone in business and marketing, can you give examples of business practices that could benefit our communities and churches while honoring our faith? This was a big topic at the conference I just attended and I was inspired to think outside the box! For example, one ministry leader, who is also gifted in business, started a chain of ice cream shops. The proceeds support the local church and their ministries, thus relieving some of their financial burden and supplying jobs. How is that possible from a business standpoint?

• Hey Jenny,

You hit the nail on the head on churches being in business while honouring their faith. One of the models I love seeing is coffee shops/delis/bakeries that open and employee either youth who are home insecure or people with disabilities. You know – the widows and orphans of today. Even if the shop loses money month over month, it can easily be a missional objective.

Another concept I have learned in business is how to generate revenue by things you have learned by doing your business. For example, Jason Fried is a tech startup CEO who after bringing business into the dot-com era found that he was always being asked to speak about this experience. People wanted to know how he did it. So in addition to his business, he also started writing books on how to do his exact business.

So – with this in mind for churches, what are things we have become good at because we do church. Off the top of my head I think hrmmm … we are pretty good at playing instruments and usually we have a building with great audio. Wouldn’t it be great to have a regular jam session where we invite other musicians from the area to come and just jam for an hour once a week? The possibilities are endless.

Hi Matthieu,

you wrote “. It raises the thought-provoking question of whether, in his own way, Watterson was not merely a cartoon artist but a modern-day exemplar of the Calvinist spirit, committed to the disciplined and principled lifestyle he held dear. Perhaps he could best be defined as a Calvinist and Hobbes.” First of all I love Calvin and Hobbes. I had no idea about the creator and I loved how you connected the thoughts! I also appreciated how you took a part of this book and broke it into a chewable piece. I wanted to do that with the Baptist but just couldn’t get there. What does Calvin say to you as you continue to do grow your business and do Doctoral work?

• One of the ways I approach my business is that it isn’t actually my business. It’s God’s. He took me out of full-time work and he has asked me to do what I’m good at which is really two things: marketing/communicating and making money. I’ve always been good at making money, seeing opportunities and capitalizing on them.

So I do not see (as Calvinists did of Weber’s era) that the success of the business is a result of God’s favour. What I see is that I am that one of those servants who the master gave money to and has been charged with investing it. I steward the business and work on a pretty high commission. One of my prayers every day is asking God what to do with the money and the gifts he’s given me. The way I see it, the more money the business makes the more it can go right back into his kingdom.

The tenet of Calvinism that God has preselected who is ultimately saved, I don’t subscribe to and ultimately I don’t see failure in business as God turning his face from me.

• Also – I hope this reply does not come across as braggadocious. There are lots of areas I do not do well in and I don’t believe I have some special intelligence that has made the business viable. I certainly do not account to my level of faithfulness in God as a reason the business is successful either. Job was spectacularly faithful and had a pretty rough go of it. So this is just the job God has asked me to do during this chapter and fortunately it’s something I love doing.

Matthiu- I grew up in the Presbyterian Church…Calvin is the “father” of Presbyterianism. Up until I started seminary I had NO idea who Calvin was nor what his theology was about. Nor did I know about Arminianism (and would be hard pressed to say anything about it today). Thankfully, the Presbyterian denomination that I am part of has moved on from Calvin, though some of his theology, has certainly shaped our church. Anyway, just thought I’d let you know – you aren’t the only one who hadn’t heard of these guys. And like I said, I still couldn’t tell you much about Arminianism.

6. K-money,

Thank you for sharing your experience, and it’s good to know that I’m not alone in discovering these theological concepts later in life. The influence of figures like Calvin can indeed shape denominations, even if their teachings have evolved over time.