Antidote to Chaos: Shepherd’s Management Practices

Books, and the authors that write them, do not always live up to my expectations. Eagerly I jumped into Spell Bound, anticipating greater insight into Jungian psychology, archetypes, and the unconscious coming to greater consciousness.[1] Some of these discoveries were made, but as I came into the second half of the book, something in my spirit took a shift. Reading came to a standstill when I came to the section on Tarot cards. My intellectual and academic curiosity needed to be put in check. Lieberman takes psychology and integrates mystical and transcendent practices, proposing supernatural benefits to the reader.  If Lieberman could only hear what I have been thinking: “Lieb, Lieb, Lieb (short for Lieberman)…you’re losing me here. 

The respect Lieberman gained when reading The Molecule of More diminished quickly with Spell Bound. In this blog I will challenge some of Lieberman’s: Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Unconscious Mind, and establish some best practices for thinking, looking to Psalm 23 for wisdom.

Author’s Warning

Dangerous– this is how Lieberman describes having different “states of consciousness.” [2]  A reader’s caution is warranted: “Meddling in the world of the unconscious is dangerous, as it can unleash a torrent of uncontrollable passions, irrational convictions, and destructive impulses that can upend a person’s life.” [3]  Why fully apprehend what the author is trying to communicate when this may be the result?  I agree with St. Augustine who “observed when he taught: Unless you believe, you shall not understand.” [4]  I do not believe in Tarot cards and so I do not anticipate understanding them. Why give this my time and attention?  Isaiah 65:2 warns, “All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations.”

Shepherd’s Practice in Protection

What can we learn from sheep and shepherding when it comes to science, magic, and the unconscious mind?  Come to find out, we can learn a lot! My devotional reading recently has been: A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller. [5] Considering what might be Jordan Peterson’s “antidote to chaos” and examining what Daniel Lieberman discusses in what “leads to transcendence,” consulting Keller’s shepherds management practices provides alternative insights. [6] Is everything we consider intellectually profitable for our souls or mentally enlightening for our minds?  2 Corinthians 10:5 states: “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” We must discern what is not the knowledge of God. I cannot put my faith in Lieberman’s assertion: “To understand the hidden parts of the psyche, we have to go back to a more ancient form of magic, perhaps the most ancient of all: Communicating with other worldly spirits and, sometimes, being possessed by them.” [7] There are several Biblical warnings against those who practice magic arts in the Bible (Revelation 9:21, 18:23, 21:8) . I do not want to communicate with worldly spirits and I definitely do not want to be possessed by them.

Antidote for our Minds

Phillip Keller, a sheep owner and rancher, provides context for Psalm 23:5, which says “Thou anointest my head with oil.”  Nose flies are among the worst irritants and potential killers to sheep and the shepherd must provide “an antidote to their heads.” [8] This antidote is an oil that must be applied to the sheep’s noses.  An “antidote to chaos” might best be described in these preventative measures which a shepherd takes to protect their sheep. 

What do we allow our minds to entertain?  Our thoughts can be like the nose flies who lay their eggs in moist sheep noses which progressively enter the flesh of the sheep, driving them mad and to death. Keller also describes another antidote that is applied to the sheep to prevent scabs on sheep’s heads. [9] Keller draws the parallel of the sheep’s need to protect their heads to the necessity for believers in Christ to protect their minds. “In the Christian life, most of our contamination by the world, by sin, that which would defile and disease us spiritually, comes through our minds.” [10] While Lieberman suggests reading Tarot cards for personal transcendence, I believe my mind will be best served by not entertaining this contamination.

My prayer is to have a mind that is alert and fully sober (1 Peter 1:13) and governed by the Spirit which is life and peace. (Romans 8:6)

_______________________________________________________________________

[1] Daniel Z. Lieberman, Spell Bound: Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Unconscious Mind, Dallas: Ben Bella Books, 2022, p.3,

[2] Ibid. p.8

[3] Ibid. p.3

[4] Michael Polanyi, The Tacit Dimension, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1966, p.61

[5] Phillip Keller, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, Minneapolis: World Wide, 1970

[6] Daniel Z. Lieberman, Spell Bound: Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Unconscious Mind, Dallas: Ben Bella Books, 2022, p.6; Jordan Peterson, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, Canada: Random House, 2018

[7] Ibid. p.3

[8] Phillip Keller, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, Minneapolis: World Wide, 1970, p.116

[9] Ibid. p.119

[10] Ibid. p.120

Kristy Newport

11 responses to “Antidote to Chaos: Shepherd’s Management Practices”

Outstanding post, Kristy. I am just starting this book tonight and I have to admit, I have already formed a biased opinion on it based on your summary. I enjoyed Molecule of More but I will never entertain Tarot cards, astrology, mediums, Ouija boards, etc. I’ll reply again later in the week after I have tackled it. Thanks for the great breakdown and biblical truth.

“What do we allow our minds to entertain?”

I appreciate your biblical foundations of truth. I too had a very hard time. I do not wish to let those words into my conscious or unconscious mind. There are biblical warnings for doing so, and whether i’m old fashioned or wise is up for question. I had to work hard and to tread lightly on my blog post. I found myself working really hard to keep system 2 thinking throughout. It was difficult when my system 1 (gut feelings) were yelling at me to put it down. I personally watched interviews with the author and a medium, and found myself wondering…. But what are his personal views? That was the only interview I didn’t finish in my rabbit hole yesterday. It didn’t feel right. I hope that we are able to have an honest conversation on Monday to find this out. I am trying my best to not form a bias until I hear from him in the flesh.

Thank you for reading my blog post.

I have so many Bible verses running through my mind.
    “The truth we set us free.” If Jesus is the Truth- then this will come from him….not a medium. What does it mean to “lay hold of the truth?” I need to look up this verse.

4. Kristy,

What you embrace you also endorse. I know this was a hard post to stand your ground.

Once in bible college I was reprimanded for standing on scripture. A week later I was offered a promotion in ministry. The Lord looks for people He can trust and live for the applause of Him and not of this world. Way to go!

Thank you for your encouragement, Greg.

6. Caleb Lu says:

Kristy, thanks for your post! While I’m nowhere near his level of expertise in biology (I only hold a bachelors!) I wasn’t a huge fan of Lieberman’s Molecule of More. As we’ve gone on, I was wondering if my critique of Lieberman was too harsh, so it’s interesting to read your expert take on Spellbound.

I am curious if both what you hope for, a life “governed by the Spirit” and Lieberman’s push for consulting what he calls “magical spirits” might have some overlap. I imagine to non-believers, the way we talk about the Holy Spirit (i.e. consulting, it interceding, being filled by, and on fire with) can make it seem magical or at the very least fantastical.

Caleb,
    Thank you for reading my post and commenting.
    Yes! I do see how there is overlap to what is in Scripture- “governed by the Spirit” and what Lieberman is calling magic spirits. May I say…I see how they run parallel?
    I think you would like to hear this- I work with a client, a young man who hugs me at the end of each session. I would love to tell you this guys whole story but I cannot due to confidentiality. Just this last week he shared with me about Tarot cards and what he has gotten from them. He also shares with me about his granny and going to church with her. He said that this is where he likes to go every now and then for comfort and peace. He literally sees the Tarot cards and his occasional “going to church practice” as ways he is pursuing a spiritual life. It was a great session processing what he gets from this. Throughout the session I do not show bias for one route over the other. I may not want to promote granny’s church going anyway…who knows what that might bring. Do you know what overwhelming responsibility I felt I had. This isn’t just a feeling. I know that this young man is coming to me in order to talk about spiritual things (he doesn’t talk with others about these things). He thanked me at the end of the session for being ONE of his spiritual guides. He wants to be open to all spiritual directions and not commit to one way. What is this opening my client up to? I am curious what kind of dark ‘crap’/ or 2 Cor. 11:14(Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light) he might experience…which will take him in what direction??
    As I have reflected on this session, I have been wondering- if this young man would have talked to me about pursuing pornography I would have had no problem asserting my knowledge-this is not a healthy practice (I would do this by encouraging him to do research on how porn impacts the brain…lots of great stuff out there!) But what about the practice of consulting/reading Tarot cards? Do I take a neutral position? I am struggling with: what I believe-this is truly what will impact what I practice.

You would love this guy Caleb. I wish he could talk with you. I think you would be able to help him explore spirituality well and ultimately point him to Jesus. It is such a privilege to be in this place-in peoples lives. Would you warn this young man about his spiritual pursuits? Would you remain neutral?
    My role as a therapist is different than a pastor and I respect this in my practice. I know that I have a powerful/persuasive position. My clients need to come to their own conclusions. I think pastors need to be careful in this area as well.
    I love my clients. If anything, I share this out of my great desire to see my clients come to know Jesus. Jesus- yes, Jesus!!! He is it! I surrender to His Spirit who is drawing all men unto Himself (this means that Kristy can step aside, knowing that He is faithful and loves this young man more than I ever could.)

The stuff we are learning is more than an intellectual/academic exercise. I am grappling with what we are learning in my everyday work.

Long response to your question 🙂

James 3:1
    This is running in the background of my mind:
    “Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.”

Kristy, Thank you for your post! I find myself wishing we could sit over coffee and talk about your post and Lieberman’s book. The “comment box” is not sufficient this week! 🙂 There is so much to pursue here and I appreciate the time and thought you put into reading Leiberman and writing this post.

Did you find insights that you thought were valuable in the first half of Lieberman’s book? In my reading of Part 1: “The Unconscious,” I felt inspired to contemplate the complexity with which God has formed our brains and motivated to prayerfully seek to live more fully alive, with God’s guidance.

I appreciate the way you brought insights from Psalm 23 into your writing, as well as the wisdom of Keller on shepherding. I also appreciate your love for your clients. Thanks for this last line: “My prayer is to have a mind that is alert and fully sober (1 Peter 1:13) and governed by the Spirit which is life and peace. (Romans 8:6)”

Kristy,

I really enjoyed your post, aligned with your thoughts on this particular book, and loved your insights from Psalm 23. I myself struggled with the conscious and unconscious mind, especially with the idea that the unconscious mind has its own agenda and controls things. For the believer in Jesus Christ, with the indwelling Holy Spirit, this just is not the case. Thank you for your thoughtfulness on this book.

Kristy,
    Great post and challenge to Lieberman’s book. Would you be comfortable offering other spiritual practices to the young man you are counseling? This may go towards a spiritual director territory but much in the same way as pornography, perhaps it can be offered as “something to research.”
    I am looking forward to see how Lieberman talks about this aspect of the book. I am not as familiar with work around the unconscious, although I see a lot of pseudoscience around it. I am fascinated by the cultural connections to our unconscious mind and the ways our minds process information, emotion and spirituality.