Am I Really That Shallow

When I picked up Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire by William T. Cavanaugh two thoughts entered my mind. The first, thank God it is a short book, after the first few books this book seemed to be a breath of fresh air. Two, was this another book crushing the capitalists?  On both counts I was pleasantly surprised. This book was a great read, and I found myself wanting it to be longer (I am crazy I know), and in his book Cavanaugh did not seem to be bashing any particular type of economy, he delved into what our lifestyles make us, and how we react within our religious tribes.

There are some who would call Cavanaugh’s book a waste of time as an academic work, such as John-Paul Spiro who writes, “At the end of the first chapter, Cavanaugh writes, “the churches should take an active role in fostering economic practices that are consonant with the true ends of creation” (32), and Being Consumed often reads like fodder for social justice-themed sermons. It is not an academic book and should not be judged as such.” [1] I will respectfully disagree, while this book is probably aimed at the Catholic faith, it is not necessarily just for Catholics. In his discussion of what a consumeristic society creates he argues something that speaks to my heart. When he writes “But the detachment of consumerism is not just the willingness to sell anything. The Detachment of consumerism is also a detachment from the things we buy.” [2] His idea is that we are not a greedy society, but that we are so addicted to the shopping that we have a detachment from the things we buy. They do not bring us happiness, it is in the pursuit that we find ourselves fulfilled. So, we fill landfills with the junk we buy, just so we can buy more. When I read his idea I had to sit back and decide is that what I do. In the church I served at previously, I was the youth minister, missions minister and technology director for most of the time. It was up to me to upgrade everyones computers, the sound system in the youth department, and all shoot and make all videos for the church. You might say to yourself wow, that is too much for one plate, but here is the rub, I loved the searching for the new technology. I would agonize over which video camera would work best, who I could get the best deal from, I loved shopping for all of the computers in the church, it took up way to much time but I loved doing it. Sometimes I would get what has been called paralysis by analysis, I could not decide between products. When I did purchase a system or whatever it was, I always was disappointed when the process was done. In hindsight, after reading this book, I was addicted to the chase.

Cavanaugh’s argument that we have become so detached from what we purchase that we have no attachment to those who provide, in fact, in our search for the best price and the best value, we have come to a point that to make the profit the company desires at the price point to make me buy the product has driven production overseas in search of the cheapest labor, with no concern of the impact on those who ultimately make the product. His argument is we may spend an hour or so in church we spend so much more time being fed information from T.V., internet, etc. The things we are fed are not morally neutral so they can and do have a big impact on how we live our lives.

He goes on to talk about the culture we are embedded in, in fact, he argues the consumer culture is “arguably more powerful than Christianity”[3].  So how do we fight this, he brings Augustine into play. He argues “created things…always fail to satisfy our desires…” [4]. Here is the crux when he quotes Augustine’s prayer to open Confessions  “You have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you” [5]. We find our fulfillment in Christ, not the things we own, not the pursuit of the things we want. So, what does this mean for churches?

This is where another reviewer disagrees with Cavanaugh. When Cavanaugh argues that instead of sending jobs overseas, particularly in agricultural production. The argument is to bring it back to make it part of the community in small sustainable farms. Craig Gunderson argues, “Not unexpectedly, the explicit and implicit policy recommendations from this book are generally abysmal. And they are especially abysmal for poor persons in both the United States and across the world.”[6] He argues this would make life much harder on those who are poor in the United States because the production here would cause price increases, and at the same time hurt the farmers in other countries as well. [7] The problem with this argument is those farmers are not being paid a livable wage so while I can maybe understand the argument, they are being taken advantage of anyway.

So, in our churches how do we fight this mentality? It needs to never be about us, we always need to point to Christ, maybe we do not need all of the bells and whistles of a great service. Maybe we should be putting all of our resources into our communities, lifting people out of poverty, giving more than we think is possible. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,you did it to me.’ Matthew 25:33-40.

[1] Spiro, John-Paul. “Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire.(Book Review).” Augustinian Studies 41, no. 2 (2010): 494-497.

[2] Cavanaugh, William T. Being Consumed : Economics and Christian Desire. Grand Rapids, Mich.: William B. Eerdmans Pub., 2008. 35.

[3] Ibid. 47.

[4] Ibid. 49

[5] Ibid. 49

[6] Gundersen, Craig. “Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire.” Economic Record 86, no. 275 (2010): 648-49.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

13 responses to “Am I Really That Shallow”

Jason,
    I like the context that you used the idea of a “religious tribes.”
    I guess I would have to disagree with Cavanaugh, at least for me, about shopping. I have never liked shopping and there is not pursuit in shopping. My mother-in-law is another story, and she fits the Cavanaugh stereotype to the extreme. Thankfully, her daughter, my wife, JoAnne, is one of the most sensible and common-sense shoppers I know. In the end, it is just “stuff” that we can’t take with us.
    I must agree with Augustine, we are wired to seek God, and our hearts are “restless.” Unfortunately, Satan has mastered the marketplace and knows how to take the restless heart and focus it away from God and toward self, greed, and immorality.
    Thanks for giving “the least of these” proper credit. Yep, this helps get us focused on what really matters. I’m glad my Catholic brother Cavanaugh wrote this book, especially the parts on the Eucharist. Just think, if we could encourage the Catholic use of liturgy in the Armor of God doctrine, how great would that be. I am very keen to digging deeper, in the next-level type of spiritual dimensional examination on how to consume and be consumed by Christ, and how to wear and be worn by Christ.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mike,
      I am not gonna argue that my shopping isn’t bad…that being said the restless heart is easily pulled, even into stuff that looks good, I have to watch myself because I can argue myself into anything.

Jason, I had the chance to go to the deep parts of India this past week; and with it a learned a lot about consumerism and its impacts. I was issued an early warning that about the only souvenirs i might actually find for sale would be idols to the Hindu religion. That was fine by me, because I usually waste too much money on stupid junk anyway. However, as I interacted with the students from the newly built preaching school, and the number of native ministers that get their support from the United States, I kept seeing a disturbing trend…just like this country, everyone seemed to have their hands out. Sadly, it was not for helping the sick, feeding the hungry, or even buying bibles; but rather, it was for a bigger apartment, a bigger church building, or a new motorcycle. Don’t get me wrong, we still saw churches with members, water wells being dug, and a children’s home being constructed, but the churches themselves seemed more focused on consumerism than evangelism. I fear we are passing on our bad habits.

I love the story of the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 9, because in it we see the passion by which I believe Philip may have recognized, “I may have only one chance to teach this man the gospel.” I think we have lost sight of this…we spend too much time thinking of ways to “bring them in” that we in fact, turn them off before we ever get the chance.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Shawn,
      I have seen the same thing in other countries, consumerism is not just an American thing. I am afraid that is one thing that is world wide, what I have to remind myself is what may look like a necessity can be seen as a luxury by those who do not have. I am just happy God chooses to let me be a part of his kingdom building.

Hi Jason,

I don’t think you are shallow! In fact, your writings are going deeper and deeper. Your best statement for me was, “It needs to never be about us, we always need to point to Christ.”

Recently when visiting Israel, I was intrigued by these little communities they set up be fully self sustaining and self supporting. They are called “Kibbutz” and they seem to be on to something as far as resisting consumerism.

Have you ever heard of these?

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jay,
      I have read about the Kibbutz communities and am very intrigued. We have something along the same line here in the US. Have you ever checked out project-44.org. They have their own farm, and sell to the local populace, they donate cars, have counseling etc. It is high time we take care of what we have been given.

Jason. Great work. I too get addicted to the chase even when the savings only make a few dollars difference.

Thanks for bringing up the negative reviews. Cavanaugh was a little unusual

5. Hi Jason,

Thanks for raising the issue of how our buying choices impact others. This is something that historically I’ve paid little attention to. But more recently with our relocation, because our little community is so focused on buying local, it is rubbing off on my own choices. So that’s good!

Doing the readings from the past several weeks has been interesting because at the same time we are building our house addition. (Um… not “we”, but Brian, my friendly neighbour and contractor.) It’s been a fascinating experience. He’s been working through the winter with his crew. The kitchen cabinetry is being built locally by Ed, and tonight I ordered the handcrafted door pulls from Quebec which is next door. It is so refreshing to know all these people who are putting their hand to work to produce beautiful craftsmanship; they need the work and our local economy benefits.

• Jennifer Williamson says:

I love that you are keeping your remodel “local.” And I agree, it makes everything seem more special. It does often cost more, which for most of us simply means we will consume less in he long run– win/win. Though, to one of Shawn points, for some people buying local is cost-preventative. But as more of us live into this way of living, it will make it more accessible to others.

We buy as much as we can locally. And I have been boycotting anything “made in China” for about years–which is challenging at times. Especially when buying electronics or party supplies.

There is a guy in our quartier who hand-makes shoes in his workshop. They are not cheap, but they are within what I consider a reasonable price range for a good pair of shoes. I plan to have him make me pair of sandals this summer.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mark,
      I think that is the great part of opening ones eyes to what is already around us. I have heard the argument about it is more expensive, but what am I wasting my resources on that I could do without to buy sustainable products.

The chase is something we all love. Whether it is electronics to Dave’s vacation spots or even books we love. I too was struck by how much I love seeking what I don’t have, the hunt not to obtain but for the sake of the hunt. thanks for the reminder and the testimony of the journey you (and the rest of us) are on.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Greg,
      It is so hard to change my attitudes, in fact after I wrote my blog I started looking for a new sound system for our church and caught myself falling into the same traps I just lamented over. It is hard.