Abraham Lincoln, Leader Extraordinaire

Written by: on June 11, 2014

(Note: Time to go to Uganda…hence the early post! Hugs, friends!)

As a former political science major, I love politics. I love historical biographies, and I especially love reading about Presidents of the United States. George Washington, John F. Kennedy, Thomas Jefferson, and Abraham Lincoln are my favorite subject matters! It should come as no surprise, then, that I eagerly flipped through this lengthy work while traveling around the globe. What I loved about Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin was that it not simply chronicled the political career of Abraham Lincoln, but it was nearly a quadruple biography to include the historical narratives of William Henry Seward, Salmon P. Chase, and Edward Bates. These men, who started as political adversaries for Lincoln as he ran for office, became his trusted advisers and even cabinet members. Instead of surrounding himself those who would support his policies, he compiled a group of men with superb knowledge and experience, and Lincoln displayed the political and personal acumen to create consensus for forming a more perfect union. I especially enjoyed reading of Lincoln’s relationship with William Seward of New York, who served as his Secretary of State. Though the two fought as adversaries in Republican primary, and Seward accepted the cabinet position thinking he would become the true leader of the country, they put aside their differences to hold together the republic in its most vulnerable state.

In the spirit of the “save time summaries” edition of Team of Rivals, the following are a few of my Abraham Lincoln, leader extraordinaire, key take-aways:

1)    As a leader, Abraham Lincoln surrounded himself with great leaders of like mind and opposing mind. It is easy to surround yourself with those who think like you and act like you. As a person who shies away from conflict, I am especially vulnerable to inviting those who agree with me into my inner circle. Lincoln thought otherwise. He welcomed opposing points-of-view, especially in the decision-making process. When he compiled the men for his cabinet, he included those who would not simply give him nods of approval and automatic yeses. He chose men who would challenge him. Seward, though originally his rival, proved to be one of Lincoln’s closest confidants, reviewing his speeches and adding candor before he presented actions to Congress. Another great leader of our time who exemplifies this principle is Colin Powell. Years ago, I heard him speak to this point exactly. When he served as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he would invite his Joint Chiefs of Staff into the meeting room and present a problem or dilemma to them. He gave each member thirty minutes to offer his personal opinions. Then, he sent everyone away, and privately weighed the points and made the ultimate decision.

2)    This leads directly into a second take away – a leader actively listens and responds, especially to those whom the decisions effect. Lincoln displayed a compassionate heart, and he felt the weight of his policies. He did not make last minute, knee-jerk reactions, but he thoughtfully listened and shouldered the magnitude of his decisions and their consequences. Lincoln was a visionary and consistently kept the bigger picture in mind.

3)    Timing is key. Lincoln strategically implemented his policies with his uncanny ability to analyze and decipher the political climate. This was exemplified in his implementation of the Emancipation Proclamation. Based on Seward’s advice, Lincoln issued the proclamation following a major Union victory (Battle of Antietam), so as not to appear weak in the face of retreat.

4)    It does not matter where you came from or who your parents are. You are can overcome any circumstances to succeed. Lincoln came from humble beginnings, yet he never once used his upbringing as an excuse. Though defeated often in elections, he moved forward with perseverance. He stuck to his principles and his passion for ending slavery, and continuously challenged himself to make wise and reasonable decisions to better his future and the future of the country.

5)    All leaders should hone their public speaking skills and delivery. Lincoln could connect with listeners, whether in a small gathering or in a large crowd. The Gettysburg Address is a perfect example. Lincoln was not the keynote speaker at the dedication, yet his short and sweet words resonated with his contemporaries and throughout the generations to today. He intentionally selected his words and carefully calculated and compiled his speeches.

Sitting on an airplane after I finished this biography, I wondered how the world would be different had Lincoln been alive to fully serve his second term. What would reconstruction have looked like? Would he have been successful in building bridges between the north and south? Would the country have been able to move forward more quickly in healing and progression with him at the helm? And in my ultimate snarkiness, I wonder if we will ever have another great leader like him? How many of our Presidents or Congressmen today would willingly choose their rivals to serve alongside them to guide the country? Closer to home, how many of us would choose pastors to serve on our church staffs who had differing points of view? …

Reference:

Goodwin, Doris Kearns. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2005.

Ashley Goad

Ashley is the Global Missions Pastor at First United Methodist Church in Shreveport, Louisiana. She's a UNC fanatic, Haiti Enthusiast, Clean Water Activist, Solar Power Supporter... www.firstserves.org www.solarunderthesun.org www.livingwatersfortheworld.org

17 responses to “Abraham Lincoln, Leader Extraordinaire”

1. meteorqq says:

The truth is, while you may be more relaxed after two drinks, it may lead to you playing looser and less sharply, even if you’re not fully drunk

2. kingdom4d says:

Lotto Agent offers access to 19 lotteries, supports a wide variety of payment methods

3. bocoran hk says:

We only review lottery sites that are established and familiar to us in the industry

4. bisaqq says:

This makes it easy for us to write factual reviews

5. bola88 says:

This is a cool article and i’m glad reading your article. I’m very interesting to read your another post, keep cool!

6. centralqq says:

Hey there. I found your blog by the use of Google whilst searching for a comparable topic, your web site got here up. It seems great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to visit then.

7. I’m glad can find this place , i love your article very much . i write an article too , pls review my article at togel singapore

8. InfojudiQQ says:

Tujuan utama game online adalah untuk menang. Untuk mendapatkan kesenangan di http://infojudiqq.online/ jatuh sederhana. Anda perlu menemukan berbagai opsi, strategi, formula, dan penggunaan yang dapat digunakan. Ini berlaku untuk kompilasi taruhan olahraga Betting88 online Anda. Sudah tidak umum lagi jika game ini didasarkan pada strategi dan bukan hanya kebahagiaan.

9. rajaqq8899 says:

it’s amazing i can find this wonderfull place, sometime i write article too, pls review me at http://www.qqsbobet.com/

10. This is a cool article and i’m glad reading your article. I’m very interesting to read your another post, keep cool!223 0 2

11. I love visiting sites keluaran sidney in my free time.

12. Shiototo adalah situs agen togel online terpercaya di seluruh indonesia dengan bayaran paling tinggi 2d x 97 3d x 950 4d x 9000.

jp berapapun pasti dibayar

bergabung sekarang juga dengan shiototo

klik link di bawah ini :

http://shiototo.org/

13. The most favorite website I’ve ever read with a collection of high-knowledge words. Very useful and inspiring for readers, awesome articles.