A Stage is Much Better Than a Committee

The first chapter of this book, “Your Brain at Work,” got my attention. I loved the stage analogy and could relate to it. I have a very large stage in my brain, with way too many actors and a large audience. It is hard to stay focused. I never thought of it as a stage; I always just said I have a very large committee in my head, and for the most part, that committee needs to get lost!

I know this book was written for work-related situations, but as usual, I can’t help but apply it to my NPO. So here goes…

Understanding the brain and limiting stress.

If someone in recovery was able to take some of the tools that Rock gives, like prioritizing, I believe it would help them to eliminate stress. Rock says, “Prioritizing involves getting disciplined about what you don’t put on stage.”[1] Addicts and alcoholics love to worry and stress about the next thing coming. It is one of the triggers they have. As you all know the credo – “One day at a time”, that is sometimes broken down to 2 minutes at a time. I won’t drink for the next 2 minutes. Maybe I will after that, but at least for the next 2 minutes, I won’t. They keep putting that together until they have 24 hours, then a week, and so on.

Controlling emotions.

Rock offers guidance on regulating emotions to enhance workplace efficiency and decision-making. Individuals in recovery frequently struggle with emotional control, particularly during challenging circumstances. Applying methods outlined in the book, such as mindfulness or cognitive restructuring, Can Help Develop emotional regulation skills, which is crucial for maintaining sobriety.

Daniel Siegel of the Mindfulness Awareness Research Center at UCLA talked about the ancient Buddhist concept of mindfulness: “It’s our ability to pause before we react.” ” It gives us the space of mind in which we can consider various options and choose the most appropriate one.”[2] A practice of stopping to pause and practicing mindfulness would be a huge contributor to staying sober.

Developing Resilience.

Rock talks about facilitating “self-directed neuroplasticity,” which is basically rewiring the brain and doing things differently when temptations or setbacks occur. There is a saying in AA that “you only need to change one thing—and that’s everything” to stay sober. If people can start to rewire how they react to certain situations—do things differently than they used to, like pausing, asking others’ opinions, or reaching out to a healthy community—good decisions will be made.

Feedback

Besides sobriety – self-improvement is one of the main goals of the 12-step program. Hearing and accepting feedback and even learning to give feedback is critically important. Rock states a beautiful thought: “The best way to help someone see something new is to help quiet her mind so that she can have a moment of insight. As you have insights, you change your brain, and by changing your brain, you change your whole world.”[3] I love that! By being open to receiving feedback and instruction from those who have gone before, you can change your life if you let it.

Community

In my stakeholders meeting, the one topic that was discussed the most was the need for community. Rock says, “The one thing that makes people happy is the quality and quantity of their social connections.”[4] He also states, “ Having many positive social connections doesn’t just increase your happiness; it can also help you perform on the job and even live longer.”[5] Maintaining a solid support system of friends and individuals who can provide assistance in times of trouble, loneliness, or temptation is essential to staying sober.

One concept that I repeatedly see in Rock’s writing is self-awareness. It seems to be a theme in many of the books on leadership that we have read. A good leader is a self-aware leader. The same can be said of someone in sobriety; self-awareness is the key. If I take what I read in this book, self-awareness will unlock the fullest potential in your job, relationships, and overall well-being. Again, the same would follow for one who is on the road to recovery.

[1]David Rock. “Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long”. (1. ed. New York, NY: Harper Business. 2009), 16

[2] Ibid., 90

[3] Ibid., 218

[4] Ibid., 163

[5] Ibid., 163

Chris Blackman

13 responses to “A Stage is Much Better Than a Committee”

1. Christy Liner says:

Hi Chris,

In reading the books this semester, I usually first think about how it applies to myself as a leader, You’re so good about considering how the books apply to those we are leading, in your case, those seeking sobriety.

Thanks for the reminder to look outward. I’m considering how this book and the concepts can help those I lead to maximize their brain power.

On the flip side, I’m curious what you personally found to be the most helpful?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thanks Christy for your thoughts. I think because I am no longer in a leadership role, and probably won’t be in the near future, I tend to try and see the best use of the books for me. I know I will be a leader in the field for my project, but I think that is a little different. My posts help me see the value in the books. I just hope I don’t bore you all with my thoughts 🙂
      As far as my personal thoughts – several things came to mind. One – is that the food we eat is just as important to feed the brain. Second was the continuing importance of self awareness and how to react to situations. Third was basically an awe that we have the power and the ability to re-wire the brain and be a better person for it! The brain is so amazing.

2. mm Jennifer Eckert says:

Chris, I always enjoy and appreciate hearing about your journey of sobriety. A secular friend of mine recently remarked about AA and other recovery programs as being “cults.” I wasn’t in a place to respond, nor would it have changed her mind, so I didn’t spend the energy on it. But given your firsthand experience, have you ever had someone knock the program(s) that helped you? And if so, how did you respond?

(Related to the text, I suppose this would fall under how do you control emotional responses?)

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Jennifer. Interesting! I have never heard the 12-step programs referred to as a cult, but I can kind of see why people might think that. From what I witnessed (mind you, this all comes from a season in my life 25 years ago), people in recovery are very protective of the meetings and the anonymity that goes on in them. To outsiders, it might seem a little click-ish or cult-like, I suppose.
      I would argue that no matter what it is, for the most part, for the past 90 years, it is the most successful program to help people sober up by leaps and bounds, so I don’t really care what they think! Sobriety needs to happen no matter what!

3. Noel Liemam says:

Hi, Chris, thank you for your post. I really like the phrase that you shared, “A practicing of stopping to pause and practicing mindfulness.” I found this to be very helpful not only in a leadership role, but in my personal life as well. Thank you.

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Noel, I agree with you. I wish everyone practiced some sort of mindfulness during their day. This world would be a much better place.
      Thanks for your reply.

4. Adam Cheney says:

Chris,
    Thanks for your post. You mentioned that the number one thing needed is community. I assume that this is part of your NPO. How are you intentionally developing community support?

5. mm Chris Blackman says:

Thanks Adam,
    My NPO is: Maintaining sobriety is difficult without spiritual transformation. A sense of well-being can be achieved with spiritual transformation and a supportive community.
    To be completely honest – I don’t know yet!! Just talked with my spiritual director about this today. I am honestly trying to trust the process. I really don’t know what any of this looks like, but God does. Just waiting for the big reveal 🙂

6. Debbie Owen says:

Thanks for this helpful summary Chris. What’s one aspect of those you’ve listed (or others in the book) that stands out as possibly most impactful for you, personally?

7. mm Chris Blackman says:

Thanks Debbie,
    For me, it would be practicing mindfulness. Just had a long talk with Nancy about that, as I tend to worry too much, and it affects my decision-making and the directions I go in. If I practice mindfulness more and wait for God, life will be much easier.

8. Akwese says:

Hi Chris, as always I appreciate you bringing things right back to your NPO! While I can see how the books provided a handful of various tools that could be supportive to your NPO, I wonder what you see as the biggest limitation this community will face in trying to implement some of these suggestions and learn to more deeply understand their brains?

9. mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Akwése.
    I had to sit on your question for a minute. People in their first six months would struggle with the precepts of this book. They would still be in “cleaning up their side of the street” mode. But I think as time goes on, there is a desire not to do the things they used to do and they would be open to some of its concepts. I am not sure of any limitations – this book lends itself well to the precepts of recovery in my opinion.

10. mm Kari says:

Hi Chris, I always enjoy reading your posts. You are spot-on about the need for self-awareness. What is a point of self-awareness that this book brought out for you?