A Lesson From Columbo

Do you remember Lieutenant Columbo? He was a police detective in a show starting in the early 70s that ran for over 30 years. I loved watching the show as a kid and still enjoy it today. Lieutenant Columbo’s disheveled appearance and bumbling demeanor always gave the impression that he had no idea what was happening. He was overly polite and chomped on the same short cigar daily. However, he was the best detective. My favorite part of the show is the final climactic scene when he reveals the person is guilty, which he does by scratching his head and asking questions, getting them to demonstrate their guilt. In his pursuit of the truth, he was very unassuming and always curious. He seldom asserted opinion or proposition but stuck to his primary tool: questions. How do we pursue truth? When confident of the truth, how do we help others see it? It is these questions, and more, that Matthew Petrusek addresses in his book, “Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture.”[1] Petrusek breaks the book into two parts. In Part 1 he seeks to lay out a methodology for employing Catholic social thought to debate secular ideologies whille in Part 1 he turns to analyzing diverse secular ideologies, showing how Catholic social thought provides a better alternative to each. In this post, I will focus my attention on Part 1 and narrow in on two aspects of his framework. I will also offer one approach that has helped me navigate similar waters through the years.

Contradict or Coexist

In Part 1, Petrusek begins by addressing the assertion that religious faith is absent of reason, which is well documented by popular atheists like Sam Harris[2] and Richard Dawkins[3]. He then introduces us to the ideas of Bishop Robert Barron, whose work he suggests provides a theoretical framework for engaging in moral, philosophical, and religious argumentation.[4] In response to the assertion that faith is unreasonable or “infrarational,”  Barron offers the idea that authentic faith is “suprarational.” As he explains, “The suprarational… is what lies beyond reason but never contradicts reason. It is indeed a type of knowing, but one that surpasses the ordinary powers of observation, experimentation, hypothesis formation, or rational reflection.”[5] What I find interesting is the inference that authentic faith is outside of reason or absent of it. Both Petrusek and Barron seem to suggest that authentic faith involves believing in propositions that are outside the realm of reason. What would this mean for the early Apostles and disciples of Jesus who had physical interaction with the risen Jesus? I appreciate what Christian philosopher and apologist J.P. Moreland says concerning this:

“Biblically, faith is a power or skill to act in accordance with the nature of the kingdom of God, a trust in what we have reason to believe is true. Understood in this way, we see that faith is built on reason. We should have good reasons for thinking that Christianity is true before we dedicate ourselves completely to it.”[6]

Moreland’s statement aligns with what the Apostle Peter said, “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.”[7] Here, Peter indicates that we can articulate the reason for our faith. However, not everyone will find our reason reasonable. Petrusek seeks to lay out a logical framework for making propositions, but there is a difference between presenting an argument and being in an argument. While the rules of formal argumentation may be clear, people don’t typically play by those rules.

A Dash of Facts with Heaps of Opinions, Feelings, and Stories

Formal arguments work in a vacuum; people tend not to.  Unfortunately, we humans in the modern moment are less affected by well-reasoned arguments and more influenced by what Canadian philosopher Charles Taylor describes as the “Social Imaginary.” In his book “A Secular Age”, he explains this concept:

“I speak of ‘imaginary’ (i) because I’m talking about the way ordinary people ‘imagine’ their social surroundings, and this is often not expressed in theoretical terms, it is carried in images, stories, legends, etc.  But is is also the case that (ii) theory is often the possession of a small minority, whereas what is interesting in the social imaginary is that it is shared by large groups of people, if not the whole society.  Which leads to a third difference: (iii) the social imaginary is the common understanding which makes possible common practices and a widely shared sense of legitimacy.”[8]

As Taylor describes it, the social imaginary is a complex web of beliefs, expectations, and assumptions that members of a community share.  The social imaginary is not a well-defined, clearly articulated set of life principles; rather it is the lifestyle of individuals, all shaped by the same songs, stories, and images that help them make sense of the world and behave within it. 

Still, Petrusek contends it doesn’t all come down to opinion and that people can determine truth on the intellectual merits of arguments themselves.[9]  Surprisingly, I agree because I think barriers to truth, especially the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, can be divided into three primary categories: Intellectual, emotional, and willful.  What Petrusek’s work seeks to do is help people navigate the intellectual barriers; however, that is only one aspect.  We see in the world and in our own hearts a combination of all three barriers present.  A wise and winsome approach requires discernment, humility, and patience.  

A Simple Tactic

So, how do we engage people with truth?  We can draw on the example of Lt. Columbo.  This was actually introduced to me in college while I was studying philosophy.  This Columbo method was later formalized and more thoroughly explained in a book by Greg Koukl called “Tactics.”[10]  The technique is straightforward: be curious and ask intentional questions. 

Questions like:

• Please help me understand?
    • Can you explain this to me?
        • Have you ever considered…?

A good question can stick with a person long after the conversation is over, like a pebble in your shoe when you’re walking. It may not be debilitating, but it can be annoying enough that, eventually, you have to stop, take off your shoe, and deal with it. 

_____________________________________

[1] Matthew Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture, (Park Ridge, IL: Word on Fire, 2023).

[2] Sam Harris, The End of Faith, (New York, NY: W. W. Norton, 2005).

[3] Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion, (2009; repr., Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2011).

[4] Matthew Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology, 26.

[5] Robert Barron, Arguing Religion: A Bishop Speaks at Facebook and Google (Park Ridge, IL: Word on Fire, 2018), 7–8, quoted in Matthew Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture, (Park Ridge, IL: Word on Fire, 2023), 26.

[6] J. P. Moreland, Love Your God with All Your Mind, 19.

[7] 1 Peter 3:15, The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2001).

[8] Charles Taylor, A Secular Age, (Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2007), 171-172.

[9] Matthew Petrusek, Evangelization and Ideology, 35.

[10] Gregory Koukl, Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions, 10th Anniversary Edition, (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2019).

Chad Warren

A husband, father, pastor, teacher, and student seeking to help others flourish.

18 responses to “A Lesson From Columbo”

1. Nancy Blackman says:

Hi Chad,
    Those questions at the end are priceless and I have used them often when I don’t understand. And, I loved Columbo! Great way to begin.

As a pastor, how do you navigate the issue of politics and religion with your congregants? Is it even an issue? And, if it is not, how do you separate church from state in your role as a pastor and as a Christian?

• Chad Warren says:

Nancy, thank you for the questions. As a pastor leading a congregation through tumultuous political waters, my aim is Christ. I faithfully help them read and understand the Bible so they understand more than political affiliation or national identity. My desire is to model and teach them to allow Christ, their King, to reign in their hearts and not base their hopes on a candidate or policy.

2. Diane Tuttle says:

HI Chad, I too like Columbo. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your writing. The questions you asked a the end seem to have a more universal use than just for hot topic issues. I could see it for when somene struggles to do something that could be considered good like get married, move to a new town, etc. Could the fact that those same questions can be used in multiple areas removes the weight of them to allow both the person speaking and the listener to have space in their brain to listen to the answers with open hearts too. Sorry – no question right now, just musing over your post. Thanks for getting my brain thinking.

3. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Great post Chad. I appreciate the way you highlighted the importance of asking questions. I think we’re in good company with Jesus on that one! Well done!

4. mm Chris Blackman says:

Hey Chad, Loved your post and loved Columbo! I actually played one hole of golf with him 30 years ago. I was a guest at the Riviera Country Club playing golf and Mr. Falk was a single player wanting to play through, then said he would join us for a hole. He is nothing like his character, but he is a very nice man.
    I really appreciate the Columbo method. Everyone likes to talk about themselves; it’s easy and nonconfrontational. I recently had a long conversation with a guy who, in my opinion, is too zealous but pushes being saved to everyone he meets. He was telling me his daughter and he doesn’t get along because she is a nonbeliever and hates his pushiness. I had to wonder if the question technique would be a better approach.
    No questions – just an appreciation for teaching me a new concept! Thank you.

5. Debbie Owen says:

Love this Chad, thank you!

I wanted you to keep telling me more about this Columbo method but you’d reached your word limit (lol!). What would you share next about how it works?

• Chad Warren says:

Debbie, what I would want to emphasize next about the Columbo method is that the questions and inquiry must have genuine interest and respect for the person’s situation. Authenticity is so important in any discussion about such weighty matters.

6. Daren Jaime says:

Hey Chad! Great post. thank you for resurrecting Columbo! A great show. When we talk about asking questions and engaging people with truth, do you have any other questions you would add to bring this about?

• Chad Warren says:

Daren, some additional questions I have found helpful include: Do you mind if I ask you a question?; Will you share your thoughts on…? What do you mean by that?; How did you come to that conclusion?

7. mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Chad,
    Thank you for your post.
    From a Pastor’s perspective, what are the primary barriers to accepting the truth of the Gospel, and how does Petrusek’s work focus on navigating the intellectual barriers while acknowledging the emotional and willful barriers as well?

• Chad Warren says:

Shela, I think the main issue comes down to assumptions that underly a person’s worldview. For example, what someone assumes or presupposes about the existence or non-existence of God is the basic assumption of all human thought. While Petrusek’s work may have some helpful tactics to address primarily intellectual barriers, we all need to be prayerfully led by the Holy Spirit, dependent on Him to do the real heart transformation needed to affect change at a deeper level.

8. Elysse Burns says:

Hi Chad, I greatly appreciated your post. Thank you for introducing me to the ideas surrounding social imagery. I am adding this to my Obsidian notes now! In your experience, what methods do you use to engage with a person experiencing intellectual, emotional, or willful barriers to the gospel? Do you find certain barriers easier to navigate?

• Chad Warren says:

Elysse, I use two methods to engage a person who has barriers to the gospel: prayer for discernment and inquiry through questions to determine which barrier seems to be primary. Rarely have I found a barrier to exist in isolation. I find intellectual barriers to be the easiest.

9. mm Kari says:

Chad, great post! I love the concept of being curious and asking questions. Learning how to ask good questions has changed my life and my ministry. What opportunities or changes have you seen in your ministry through asking questions?

• Chad Warren says:

Kari, I think the most significant change I have seen is in my heart attitude. Asking questions from a place of genuine interest and respect fosters humility. Rather than assuming I’ve got the answer, I learn things I didn’t know when I ask questions, which is very humbling.