A message to my DLGP02 comrades

Written by: on December 7, 2023

In her book, Jump, Kim Perell talks about what to do with our fears and challenges in life. She says, “Instead of letting it paralyze you, let it catalyze you.”1 In other words whatever has the power to cause resistance in your life, use it to give you insight, wisdom, direction, passion, fire in your soul. Steven Pressfield nearly echoes this by saying, “Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance.”2 To assure we don’t have an unlived life, it’s important to allow the things in life that cause resistance to catalyze us into a place where we may have never gone before. To help all of us to continue on this path, I would like to use quotes from the book, “The War of Art” and our “DLGP” abbreviation as an acronym.

Decide to change our sphere of influence.

“Resistance is the most toxic force on the planet. It is the root of more unhappiness than poverty, disease, and erectile dysfunction. To yield to resistance deforms our spirit”3  Even though we all have an NPO, how often do we think about all those people who are unhappy because of poverty of soul, secret pain, unfulfilled dreams, anxiety-filled hearts due to future decisions, and so on. Maybe this is why God has called us to Decide to actual CHANGE what is dead, dying, or in need of repair. “Resistance cannot be seen, touched, heard, or smelled. But it can be felt.”4 This is why our sphere of influence needs us…to help them change or be transformed into the image of Christ. “It is possible to possess a vital faith that prompts you to be at your best when things are at their worst.”5 Let’s Decide that the best version of ourselves will emerge from the challenges of life in order to change our sphere of influence.

Lead ourselves to the foot of the Cross.

No matter how much writing, reading, researching, and meeting with others we do, allowing ourselves to become one with our NPO and then living it out in our sphere of influence becomes the challenge. “As Resistance works to keep us from becoming who we were born to be, equal and opposite powers are counterpoised against it.”6 Why? “Because we wrestle not against flesh and blood.”7 Due to the weight and challenge of our calling, it is so crucial to intentionally spend moments in silence, solitude, fasting, and praying. What if we lovingly and consistently allowed the Holy Spirit to gracefully lead us to the foot of the cross to connect with the Father during one of the busiest times of the year. “The more important a call or action is to our soul’s evolution, the more Resistance we will feel toward pursuing it.”8 What if we all decided to do whatever it takes to assure our soul is connecting with the Father instead of resisting his loving advances. Maybe, the best place to impact our sphere of influence is from the bloodied feet of the Cross.

Gather stakeholders to help fight the resistance.

“The more scared we are of a work or calling, the more sure we can be that we have to do it.”9 God has sovereignly placed us at Portland Seminary to pursue influencing and changing our sphere of influence. Getting a degree is a nice side benefit of the calling. Since accomplishing our NPO can be scary at times, we need stakeholders. By stakeholders, I am not just referring to those wise people in our workshops. I’m referring to those people whom we have chosen to walk with us. Those people we have invited in our lives. They walk with us through praying for us and encouraging us. These stakeholders assure that resistance does not win in our lives. “Resistance presents us with a series of plausible, rational justifications for why we shouldn’t do our work.”10 This is why having people we can be vulnerable with is so life-giving. They will walk with us through the tsunami of doubt, resistance, struggle, and fear. A stakeholder, holds that stake (Cross) in the ground curls up with us in the midst of resistance, points us to the stake and whispers, “Because of the Cross, we will get through this, together.”

Pursue our NPO with Christ-like passion.

“If your dream doesn’t scare you, it’s too small.”11 When the Holy Trinity decided on the Plan of Salvation, I don’t think Jesus rejoiced about the excruciated pain he just agreed to. But yet, he chased the Cross with such deep, unwavering, and mind-boggling passion. Our NPO’s scare us because it is big, challenging, and easy to resist. This is why Pressfield argues, “The artist committing himself to his calling has volunteered for hell.”12

Yes, we are going to lose sleep, have family challenges, struggle to be honest about how we are really doing, feel inadequate, struggle in our jobs, get defeated at times, feel severe resistance BUT instead of allowing all of this and more to paralyze us emotionally, socially, mentally and spiritually, let’s use it to catalyze our NPO’s and calling. We tend to avoid situations where the odds are against us, but when we do, we rob God of the opportunity to do something sublime! Let’s pursue our unique calling with a telescopic Christ-like passion.

1.     Kim Perell.  Jump: Dare to do What Scares You in Business and Life, 60.
2.     Steven Pressfield. The War of Art: Breaking Through The Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles,X.
3.     Ibid, XI.
4.     Ibid, 7.
5.     Jeff Manion. The Land Between: Finding God in Difficult Transitions, 20.
6.     Steven Pressfield. The War of Art, 107.
7.     Ephesians 6:12, NIV.
8.     Steven Pressfield. The War of Art, 12.
9.     Ibid, 40.
10.  Ibid, 55.
11.  Mark Batterson, Chase the Lion, 8.
12.  Steven Pressfield, The War of Art, 68.

Todd E Henley

Todd is an avid cyclist who loves playing frisbee golf, watching NASCAR, making videos, photography, playing Madden football, and watching sport. He is addicted to reading, eating fruits and vegetables, and drinking H2O. His passion is talking about trauma, epigenetics, chromosomes, and the brain. He has been blessed with a sensationally sweet wife and four fun creative children (one of which resides in heaven). In his free time he teaches at Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary and is the Founder/Executive Director of Restore Counseling Center.

17 responses to “A message to my DLGP02 comrades”

In the spirit of pop culture I hearken back to an oldie but goodie. “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. (A voice from the choir…PREACH IT PASTOR).

On the lighter side, I wandered back to one of my teen reads…DUNE.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ― Frank Herbert, Dune (https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3634639-dune)

You are a guiding light.
    Shalom…

2. “Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.” WOW! That’s deep Sir Russell! Little-death does not seem like much but it really is. That’s a good thought. “Fear is a mind killer” “I will face my fear” This is good stuff! Thank you again Russell! Thank you soooo much for the encouragement! 😊

What a great encouragement and a fantastic and memorable framework there. Thank you for leading us back to the foot of the cross, Todd!

4. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

Todd I love how we seem to have synchronicity with each other in how we interpret our readings. I think the vocational work we do is similar:). I feel connected to what you said “God has sovereignly placed us at Portland Seminary to pursue influencing and changing our sphere of influence. Getting a degree is a nice side benefit of the calling. Since accomplishing our NPO can be scary at times, we need stakeholders. By stakeholders, I am not just referring to those wise people in our workshops. I’m referring to those people whom we have chosen to walk with us. ” God’s Sovereign Hand is a powerful stake holder. I fully believe that no “encounter” is a mistake. I’m so grateful to have all of my cohort as stakeholders. Thank you Todd for your sheer joy. You are contagious! In all the right ways!

• “God’s sovereign hand is a powerful stakeholder!” Now that is somewhere in the Hebrew text!!! And it is quite encouraging and gives me/us stability during turbulent times. Jana, you never cease to amaze me, lady. It’s great how we think alike (Please don’t be insulted by that) and learn from one another. Have a wonderful holiday season! 😊

5. mm John Fehlen says:

Christmas Blessings to you and yours. So grateful to be in this program together. Praying Jesus’ love on you into the new year.

“Do not be afraid. I bring you GOOD NEWS that will cause GREAT JOY for ALL PEOPLE” (Luke 2:10).

6. Adam Harris says:

“If your dream doesn’t scare you, it’s too small.” Good quote. I’ve always heard my pastor say, “You need something big enough that you know God HAS to help”. At the moment I am trying to strike the balance between trying to “change the world” with my NPO and not over-identifying with it or taking it so seriously that it cripples me to be creative with it. Love the posts man!

• Hey my brother, that first thought from your pastor is excellent. Knowing God has to help… That’s something to be still over and meditate on while we ask him to do the impossible…And yet, I love your response man…not over identifying with it or taking it so seriously that it cripples me to be creative…more good words to ponder on from a guy who’s young enough to be my son. Thanks for the balance insight. Merry Christ Sir Adam!

7. mm Pam Lau says:

Todd,
    What you see and experience in your work and NPO boggles my mind and heart. Thank you for writing a post about where most change needs to happen — in the heart. I appreciate your creativity in this post, Todd! Merry Christmas!

8. Todd! Your approach to transforming resistance into a driving force for personal and spiritual growth is quite inspiring. It’s interesting how you’ve used the DLGP acronym to create a clear strategy. Do you find that this structured approach enhances your ability to overcome challenges and pursue your goals more effectively?

• Hey Sir Mathieu, thanks for bringing out something I have never thought about…a structured approach due to the acronym. Actually coming up with acronyms is quite easy for me and I do it a lot in my training and speaking. Interesting, I don’t use it to overcome challenges or even pursue goals. Now, I’m wondering why? Thanks for giving me something to think about over the holidays. Merry Christmas Sir Mathieu!

9. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Todd!

Your post is so amazing! I love to read it.

You write, “What if we all decided to do whatever it takes to assure our soul is connecting with the Father instead of resisting his loving advances. Maybe, the best place to impact our sphere of influence is from the bloodied feet of the Cross.”

Yes! I can’t agree more! We need God’s unlimited power and strength to flow in our life. We need Him because without Him we are nothing. Therefore, let’s give our best to Him in our study journey. Blessings!

10. Dear Mr. Henley,

Kim Perell’s advice to let challenges catalyze us instead of paralyze us resonates with Steven Pressfield’s concept of resistance. By embracing these challenges and the fear they bring, we can grow and fulfill our calling. Your take on our course as an acronym, DLGP, encapsulates key steps in this journey, emphasizing the importance of changing our sphere of influence, seeking spiritual guidance, gathering support, and pursuing our calling with passion. It’s a powerful reminder to overcome resistance and live out our purpose.