Neuroscience Convergence

“Your Brain at Work” has been extremely beneficial and thought-provoking (no pun intended).[1] Dr. David Rock was able to make a complex topic more understandable for the average person through his well-written use of the stage metaphor. It meets a chronic need for me personally and most people I know who are living their lives distracted and having the less and less mental capacity to cope.  This book is also converging syntopically for me on so many levels. Let me explain.

In 2016, I picked up the book “Switch on Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health” by Dr. Caroline Leaf[2] on my way through the supermarket aisle thinking “Mmm. This would be an interesting read.” As many books go for me, the intention to read it was there, but lack of time kept it on the end table in our living room for many weeks.  It was my husband who picked it up and began to read it and applied the principles for taking 21 days to detox his thought processes. Without going into detail, it radically transformed his thinking around one area of negativity. I then also applied the strategy and found unbelievable progress in thoughts that held me captive as well. The book caused me to have a greater interest in neuroscience research. However, the scientific content of the book itself was harder to digest due to how it was written.

In 2018, I came down with a chronic illness that had me seeking out many doctors over several years. After that season, I had several brain imaging scans taken. One was taken while my brain was at rest and the other was taken while it was in focused thinking mode. The images showed the different regions of my brain literally “at work” or “at rest”. The doctor, by looking at these images, was able to immediately pinpoint that I had had emotional trauma that was unresolved and that my brain was not able to slow down even while at rest. Both were true. I had had three close family members pass away within thirteen months and due to years of hyper achieving as well as thyroid issues, my brain did not have the trained ability to slow itself down. The doctor proceeded to share more symptoms I was experiencing by reading the images. By reading through Rock’s explanation of the brain, my own brain imaging made greater sense.

This year, I was part of the Positive Psychology coach training with Dr. Charmini Shizrad. The ten-week training had us daily train our “self-command” mental muscles to respond when asked to several times a day just by doing simple exercises for 10-30 seconds at a time: some sensory, some visual, and some auditory. It was not rocket science. The key was to mindfully, switch attention on command daily throughout the day. This technic drew a direct correlation to Rock’s mention of the “Farb Experiment”.[3] Dr. Shirzad is having major success because, although coaches can help clients gain deep awareness, a life change that is lasting is sometimes harder to gain because clients don’t always know how to control their own thinking.[4] Let’s face it, so many of us are chronically messy thinkers.

The Bible advises that this is not the way to live. God advises us to take “every thought captive” (2 Corinthians 10:5). As Rock states, “paying attention to the director” and giving him/her more power puts you in charge of your own mental ability.[5] This gives us ‘mindsight,’ “the ability to mindfully activate the brain in one’s favor.”[6]

In applying this to my NPO, I ask “How is neuro capability affected in the mid-season and later years of life?” Park and Festini in the article, ‘The Middle-Aged Brain: A Cognitive Neuroscience Perspective’ found through the research of Lachman et al., that fluid thinking which is common in the younger years declines modestly in the middle-aged years and is replaced by crystallized thinking through knowledge and experience.”[7]  “Although those who are middle-aged have experienced some declines in fluid abilities, these declines are relatively modest, and middle-aged adults have experienced significant growth in their knowledge base, which likely provides significant support to everyday cognitive performance.”[8]

Furthermore, Marion Diamond, a neuroanatomist known for her cutting-edge research in brain science at Berkeley, studied the brains of laboratory rats who were placed in enriched environments. Her finding concluded that these rats developed “more dendrites, more glial cells, and stronger synapses.” What is most interesting is that even aging rats profited from greater mental activity.[9] When comparing young and old rats, the older brains grew more through increased play.[10]  “Research on human brains confirms the fact that meeting new creative and intellection challenges throughout life keeps cortical neurons firing vigorously and effectively.”[11]

So basically, this doctoral program is helping our aging brains stay younger and think better.

In closing, as I think about all I have gleaned through this reading and all my converging experiences, I am reminded again of how magnificently the Lord created our minds. It seems only right and honoring to Him for us “to live with our brains in mind.”[12]

[1] Dr. David Rock, Your Brain at Work (New York, NY: HarperCollins Publisher, 2020).

[2] Dr. Caroline Leaf, Switch on Your Brain (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2013).

[3] Dr. David Rock, Your Brain at Work, 95-98.

[4] “Multi-Million Dollar Grant for Coaches | Positive Intelligence,” accessed April 6, 2023, https://www.positiveintelligence.com/100x/#video-1.

[5] Dr. David Rock, Your Brain at Work, 246.

[6] Ibid, vii.

[7] Denise C. Park and Sara B. Festini, “The Middle-Aged Brain: A Cognitive Neuroscience Perspective,” in Cognitive Neuroscience of Aging: Linking Cognitive and Cerebral Aging, ed. Roberto Cabeza, Lars Nyberg, and Denise C. Park (Oxford University Press, 2016), 0, https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199372935.003.0015.

[9] Jane M. Healy, Your Child’s Growing Mind: A Practical Guide To Brain Development and Learning from Birth to Adolescence, 2nd ed. (New York, NY: Doubleday, 1994), 329-30.

[10] Jane M. Healy, 329.

[11] Jane M. Healy, 330.

[12] Dr. David Rock, Your Brain at Work, vii.

Esther Edwards

Esther has served in ministry leadership for over 35 years. She is an ordained minister, an ICF and CCLC certified coach, and licensed coach trainer. Her and her husband have launched their own coaching practice, Enjoy the Journey Leadership Coaching and seek to train ministry leaders in the powerful skill of coaching. Esther loves hiking, reading, and experiencing new coffee shops with friends and family. She enjoys the journey with her husband, Keith, their four daughters, sons-in-law, and their four, soon to be five, beautiful grandchildren.

10 responses to “Neuroscience Convergence”

1. mm Kim Sanford says:

Thanks for your post, Esther, there’s so much about it that got me thinking. First of all, 21 days to detox our thought processes? I’m intrigued.

Secondly, I love that you connected neurobiology research to 2 Corinthians 10:5 and “bringing every thought captive to Christ.” That gives words to a question that’s been floating around in my brain for a while now: Given all we’re learning about how our brains work, how do we glorify God with that knowledge? David Rock even gets at this when he quotes Kevin Oschner saying, “If our emotional responses fundamentally flow out of interpretations, or appraisals, of the world, and we can change those appraisals, then we have to try and do so. And to not do so, at some level, is rather irresponsible.” Doing the best we can with what we know seems like a good start to glorifying God with our learning.

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Kim,
      The 21 Day Detox is a valuable tool. It takes about 10-15 minutes daily to use her 5 step strategy to whittle down to the root of a thought pattern. So many times we think the crazy thoughts are so many, but usually the negative ones are linked to one underlying thought that has morphed. After 21 days though she recommends 2-3 more cycles of it to truly annihilate a negative thought pattern. It truly works. The 10-15 minutes are simply with you and the Lord and a journal in hand. The self-awareness is huge because the Holy Spirit is so faithful to shed light on what does not serve us well.

To answer your question, “how do we glorify God with our learning?” I believe first of all, as you mentioned, to do the best we can. I would even go a step further and say to include Him in the daily dialogue of what is going on in our minds. Doing life with him in the plural with my studies. Believe me, I forget to do this, but I am much more aware of His presence and help when I do. Also, then I know that He is guiding me to however He wants to use what I end up developing.
      There is much more to expound on here.
      Have a wonderful resurrection weekend! So appreciate you, Kim!

HI Esther,

I enjoyed your references to other brain research. Wow. Good stuff.

On a quick side note, the Christian radio station was talking about how it takes 21 days to develop new habits and get rid of old. I was wondering about the random 21 days and now I am tuned into another reference about it.

YES, the primary reason I am taking this course it keep my brain limber. On my father’s side they all get dementia at 70. So as I sense the loss of memory (peoples names especially and all levels of math), I plug away at these readings as brain exercises.

In my post I went out on a limb. I said, that I am starting to visualize God on my center stage, the Holy Spirit in my audience and Jesus as my director.

Oddly, I found it comforting.

Shalom…Russ

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Russell,
      The 21 days to form a habit works. We did it with my daughter when she was five and a chronic thumbsucker. Our doctor said to offer her something she really wanted and have her not suck her thumb to get it for 21 consecutive days.. We had to restart 3 times, but she wanted her roller blades so much that she finally completed the 21 days and never sucked her thumb again.

On another note, I had read your post but hadn’t commented yet. I thought the Trinity perspective was very insightful. In playing out the metaphor in this way, how might this affect your doctoral journey?

Have a wonderful Easter!

• mm Russell Chun says:

Hi Esther,
        Yesterday I sat with my computer coder who is working on my refugee Interlinkt App. We discussed what was “doable.”

As we seek to create the app, then collect the data, I am discovering we may not be able to achieve our intended goals. However, we can only do what God has resourced us with.

I believe that seeking Him during this process will prayerfully make our paths straight.

The NPO is not mine…it is His.

• Esther Edwards says:

That can be frustrating but you are right, it is Him calling you to this so He knows how it needs to evolve. That takes the burden off of us.

Excited to see how the Lord will use it all.

3. Cathy Glei says:

Our brains are so amazing. I chuckled when you stated, “When comparing young and old rats, the older brains grew more through increased play”. . . sounds like us older rats (speaking of myself) need more play.
    What does “play” look like for you? Grandkids? Playing piano? Creating? Crafting? Outdoor activities?

• Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Cathy,
      I imagine a dissertation could be written just on the effects of play on older adults. I realize I don’t play enough. It is usually in the form of a walk or coffee with a friend, or working out at the gym. However, it should encompass much more. I am planning to start playing pickleball so that is helpful!

4. Kally Elliott says:

I too am intrigued by the role of play mentioned in your post. Did the “play” increase the capacity of the chimp’s brains because they can’t do things like read or math or is play really a great brain stimulator?

If I had to guess I’d say play is a great brain stimulator! I don’t think we play enough. A few years ago our church introduced “play groups” for adults. The idea was to have adults (or any age) gather around a common interest. Some of these groups included musical instruments, hiking, frisbee golf, singing, cooking, etc..anything that was enjoyable. You’ve got me thinking we may need to reinstitute playgroups!

5. Esther Edwards says:

Kally – What a great idea to engage play groups for adults! We all take life too seriously and could use more play.
    I am not sure of the answer to your question regarding the rats.I imagine play would be any stimulation since, obviously rats cannot read or solve a math problem. However, the thought of mental activity vs mental activity that produces joy and laughter would be something to compare and contrast.