Floods and Fires – How Geography Shapes Our Lives

I do not often have the best sense of direction. I grew up in a part of Southern California where the North/South bound 101 freeway travels East to West. I went to college in Santa Barbara where the ocean was to the South messed with my sense of direction. I am eternally grateful for Apple Maps and Car Play. My husband, on the other hand, has an internal GPS and can find his way just about anywhere. He loves looking at maps. Anytime we are driving somewhere, he will invariably give me some random detail about the geography of where we are. Geography played an important role in where we chose to settle after our children moved out. We knew we wanted to live in a cooler climate amidst the redwoods. My husband did his research and found the perfect location for us. We often joke that with our ten acres on the side of a mountain in a remote location, we have the perfect habitat to survive the zombie apocalypse.

Geography plays a huge role in the political landscape of our world, as Tim Marshall details in his book Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps that Explain Everything About the World. Marshall writes, “The land on which we live has always shaped us. It has shaped the wars, the powers, politics, and social development of the peoples that now inhabit every part of the earth.”[1] He goes on in this book to describe the world from Russia to the Arctic, detailing how the geography of each continent or area dictates the development of national borders, politics, and resources.

The storms in early January gave us some insight into this. We ended up evacuating from our property, not because we thought Austin Creek on our property would flood, but because of expectation that the Russian River would flood, and we would have no means of getting out of our area. We lost power and our remote location and minimal population meant that it took a week before our property had power once again.

Looking further, I can see the impact of geography on my home state, California. Many political battles are fought here over resources, specifically water. Northern California complains about how much water gets sent to Southern California. Central California complains about the water limitations for their crops. The severe drought we have experienced in recent years only adds fuel to the fire – both figuratively and literally.[2]

The geography of our small part of the world makes a huge impact on our lives. When you wash your hands or brush your teeth, do you leave the water running? I do not because I have lived for so long under drought conditions. I have learned to conserve water in different ways. However, living in California, I have always had easy access to fresh produce. My friend lived in Michigan for a few years and the cost and quality of winter produce was shocking to her. I am not sure I want to live somewhere where avocados are not available year-round!

Understanding the geography of where I live impacts the way I do ministry. When our community was flooding, I was so encouraged to see the number of people who reached out to help those in need. The way I meet the needs of my community on the Russian River is not the same way I ministered when living in Thousand Oaks. Here, there are fewer people, and we are more spread out. It is a slower pace of life. Getting to know my community is my priority for ministry right now. How does the geography of your location impact the way you minister and love your community?

[1] Tim Marshall, Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps that Explain Everything About the World. (New York, Scribner, 2015), pg. 1.

[2] https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/01/12/california-rain-flooding-and-storms-havent-ended-drought-report/11026793002/

Becca Hald

Becca is an ordained Foursquare minister, serving as the Online Community Pastor at Shepherd's House Church. She has over twenty-five years of leadership experience both inside and outside the church. Becca has served her community in many capacities ranging from Administrative Assistant and Children’s Ministry Director to Secretary and President of multiple school organizations. She and her husband, Andrew have been married for over 25 years. They have two adult children, Drew and Evelyn. Her great passion is to equip others, to raise awareness about mental health, and to help reduce the negative stigma surrounding mental health issues. In her free time, she loves going to Disneyland, reading, sewing, and making cards.

4 responses to “Floods and Fires – How Geography Shapes Our Lives”

Becca,
    I completely understood every word of this blog. I am a Nor Cal girl who has lived through the fires, the drought, and efforts to conserve water. Geography impacts us! I am right here with you! I also enjoy eating strawberries, mangoes, and pineapple in the month of February!
    The maps of technology are influencing the ways in which I minister/love others…
    The other day I was in session with a client who has taken to E-Harmony with the intentions of finding a spouse. I have worked with this person for a couple of years. This person does not believe there is a chance of finding a mate in their proximity. It was fascinating to weigh the pros and cons of pursuing a potential relationship with someone who is not in the same zip code. Typically people meet and pursue relationships based on proximity (they are close by). Now-long distance relationships are being pursued. As a Marriage Family Therapist, this is something I am confronted with. Learning about geography’s impact is assisting me at this time. I am left with wanting to help my clients approach geography and distance with reason and practicality. But we know what it is said about love (faith)…it will move mountains.
    Thank you for your blog
    Your Cali-buddy

• mm Becca Hald says:

Kristy, I am with you! Strawberries in February! 😋 I love being a California Girl! I wonder if people who engage in long distance relationships think about what it would be like to move and what that would be like. I have read stories where people leave everything behind to follow someone and then end up breaking up with the person and stuck alone without family or friends. Internet dating certainly adds a new dimension of complexity.

2. Becca – Thanks for sharing your perspective as a Californian. Here in the midwest, I long for the ocean daily–it’s my happy place, but oh so far away:)

It’s interesting to think about how our ministries are impacted by our geographic location. For example, we don’t do a great deal of out-door ministry around here because summers are so hot and winters are so unpredictable. Much of what we do is limited to the indoors, while other ministries in other areas have more flexiblity to blend outdoor and indoor activities.

• mm Becca Hald says:

Laura, you would have loved my church when we lived in Santa Barbara. We regularly hosted “Church on the Beach” followed by a barbecue and often baptisms in the ocean. It is so important to recognize how geography plays a part in our view of the world. I went to Israel in grad school and it changed my perspective of so many biblical passages. I remember thinking the Sea of Galilee was something more like Lake Arrowhead, where you cannot see anything but water, but it is a tiny, little lake! I think of how the Roman Roads made it possible for the Gospel to spread throughout the world. I think about Moses and the Israelites standing before the Red Sea with Pharaoh’s armies chasing them down. So much of how we live is defined by where we live.