快速和缓慢思考的阴阳 加入欢乐 – The Yin and Yang of fast and slow thinking Plus Enter JOY (Mandarin)

Introduction

Part 1 – What my peers are saying

Part 2 – Uncommon Habits, in my NPO

Epilogue – Where is Joy?

Introduction – Daniel Kahneman’s System 1 and System 2 thinking. Kahneman’s describes System 1 as fast, automatic, intuitive, emotional, involuntary, and heuristic; and System 2 as slow, deliberate, effortful, logical, and controlled. [1]

This fast vs slow template can be placed over both our daily life situations and on deeper activities, like our NPOs.  The tensions between fast and slow are highlighted by Kahneman’s emotional vs deliberate template.

But is life ever that simple?  Where life falls neatly into one category or another?

Enter Marcus Warner and Jim Wilder’s book, Rare Leadership: 4 Uncommon Habits for Increasing Trust, Joy, and Engagement in the People You Lead, with another template called “Uncommon Habits.”

Part 1 – What my peers are saying about Rare Leadership.

Review of peer blogposts reveal my blindness (weak spots in my own leadership).  I frequently turn to them to view MY problems from their perspectives.  I did the same for applying Rare Leadership to my NPO/ U.S. Immigration. Quickly, what are uncommon habits? The uncommon habits are: Remain relational, Act like yourself, Return to joy, and Endure hardships well.[2]

DLGP 02, Jenny Dooley writes. “What Warner and Wilder are saying is that these habits need to become automatic, but they are far from automatic in most human beings. These skills are developed in the Slow-Track system and transferred to the Fast-Track system through practice. Practice makes behaviors automatic. The authors state, “It [the Brain] learns by imitation and practice.” [3] We need mature leaders to imitate and lots of practice in order to develop these habits.

Mature experienced leaders. Ahh…experience. In the Army we learn a phrase to
“shoot, move, and communicate.”  This is not normal civilian behavior and to be frank it needs to be repeatedly taught to our young lieutenants/soldiers. The phrase engenders strong aggressive behavior (arguably Fast thinking) always moving forward.  It even speaks to teamwork and the importance of communicating (System 2 thinking).  Even as Leaders grow older and move behind a desk, this ‘habit’ of action helps the Army move forward toward this goal.

It doesn’t happen overnight and sometimes the lesson never takes.  There is the danger of leaders becoming more heavily managers (System 2 thinkers) – rendering them less responsive on the fluid battlefield. See Northouse figure below. [4]

With that being said, both managers and leaders are needed in any organization, both for sustaining and innovating in new environments.  But mature leaders need to hone their system 2 for operating in a peace time environment and need to switch to system 1 thinking in a war time environment. The tension of Ying and Yang/System 1 and 2 thinking is rendered successful by experience drawing upon past successes and utilizing those lessons learned in new endeavors.

Enter the dragon…oops enter relationships.

DLGP02 Esther Edwards writes, “Over eighty years ago a study called the Harvard Study of Adult Development began tracking the lives of 724 men, year after year, through all the stages of their life. Half of the men were Harvard students, while the other half were from the poorest area in Boston. The study continues even today. After tracking these men for 75-plus years, they found that it was not money or fame that promoted health and happiness, but instead, good relationships. Good relationships affected longevity, protected the brain, and aided well-being.

Edwards takes us back to the uncommon habits. Remain relational, Act like yourself, Return to joy, and Endure hardships well.  This RARE acronym templated over Fast and Slow thinking can deepen our effective leadership.  If the goal, no VALUE, is about relationship (undefended, transparent leadership?) then system 1 and 2 thinking can be subsumed into more productive leadership in the good times and in the bad.

Part 2 – Uncommon Habits, in my NPO US Immigration.

System 1 thinking has dominated the U.S. Immigration debate.  Gut reactions, polarizing debate has overcome system 2 thinking in modifying the current Immigration system so that it is resourced and sustainable.   During my Immigration Symposium I am inviting attendees into a “Third Space.”[5]  In this space separate from home or the workplace, I am inviting them to less emotional (heuristic) thinking. Perhaps this third space can be a “Space of Grace.”

RARE, can guide us in this place of Grace.  It can prioritize relationship rather than US versus THEM, it allows us to drop our tribal identities and lets us explore HOW we actually think and feel, it returns us to the Joy of loving of supporting humanity and helps us ENDURE the situations at both our southern border and the war/crisis engulfing the world.

Epilogue – Where is my joy?

In a recent review of Philippians (the JOY bible book), I discovered that Joy eludes me. Joy in the face of hardship?  I always struggle between understanding joy versus happiness.  I came to the initial conclusion that I don’t have Joy in my life. Where does one start (Joy) and the other (Happiness) leave off?  Philippians ask us to be joyful even in dire circumstances.  Do I have joy?

Certainly, satisfaction exists in tasks attempted and completed. Certainly, there is enjoyment in the simple pleasures of my garden.  But deeper biblical JOY?

Rare Leadership helped me relook this personal dilemma.  It focused on relationships. At the end of our lives, when we look at what really mattered we hear the phrases, “I wish I spent more time with my family and friends.”  Perhaps we hear, “I wish I had a deeper relationship with Christ.”

I have relationships aplenty, making them quality relationships is perhaps where I find my, “Joy.”

Shalom….

___________________________________________________________

[1] Daniel Kahneman, Thinking Fast and Slow, (New York, NY: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2013), 20-21.

[2] Marcus Warner and Jim Wilder, Rare Leadership: 4 Uncommon Habits for Increasing Trust, Joy, and Engagement in the People You Lead (Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, 2016), 19.

[3] Ibid. 110.

[4]   Northouse, Peter G. Leadership: Theory and Practice. 6th ed. Thousand Oaks: SAGE, 2013. See Chapter 1, Summary (Kindle location 665)

[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

Russell Chun

interlinkt.org is now ready for your Refugee Resettlement needs. 15 tasks, languages ESL plans coming

4 responses to “快速和缓慢思考的阴阳 加入欢乐 – The Yin and Yang of fast and slow thinking Plus Enter JOY (Mandarin)”

Hi Russell,
    I love these comments:
    Referring to your Immigration Symposium, “Perhaps this third space can be a “Space of Grace.””

Your NPO: “RARE, can guide us in this place of Grace. It can prioritize relationship rather than US versus THEM, it allows us to drop our tribal identities and lets us explore HOW we actually think and feel, it returns us to the Joy of loving of supporting humanity and helps us ENDURE the situations at both our southern border and the war/crisis engulfing the world.”

Personally: “I have relationships aplenty, making them quality relationships is perhaps where I find my, “Joy.””

I see the importance for you of relationship in all these spaces and it is very inspiring. You have had me thinking a lot about third spaces. What are you noticing about the “physical” third space that helps or hinders to set the tone for your symposium, individual, or group meetings? What do you find most conducive to participants sharing and listening well to one another? Is the physical environment important?

• mm Russell Chun says:

Hi Jenny,

I have modified my “Third Space” even further. I am having my guest speakers sit at a table of students/pastors before/after they speak. Their goal is to coach their small group into becoming advocates for immigration when they return to THEIR spaces.

I hesitate to say cascade, but we have to start somewhere right?

Selah….

74 our of 80 reserved seats taken as of today!

Prayers that the Holy Spirit guide our conversation.