The World From a Porch Swing

In the anxiety of battle between good and evil, sensible compromise and sinful submission to worldly systems confronting me at my fingertips, I often retreat to my front porch swing for solace. Our little farm is surrounded by large filbert orchards on three sides. Those filberts, also known as hazelnuts, are typical of the industrial agriculture that took over some of the most fertile soil on the continent—Oregon’s Willamette Valley.

Row after row in an endless gaze, the filbert trees stand…and fall, due to “filbert blight,” a disease caused by unsustainable practices and soil leached with herbicides.

In contrast, at Eloheh Farm, (Eloheh meaning harmony in Cherokee) we engage principles of permaculture, biomimicry and Traditional Indigenous Knowledge to grow our fruits, vegetables and Open Pollinated seed stock. We are an organic oasis in the midst of mono-cultural, industrialized, agricultural blight.

The stark difference provokes many thoughts from my porch swing. I clearly see a dying, unsustainable and bleak world, like a scene from a Tim Burton movie; Sacred Spirit replaced by the spirits of greed and commodification. And I wonder, how can people ignore the sacredness of this place?

From the same sacred land, we grow healthful food that nourishes our family, friends and others. Eloheh, whose mantra is “plant, grow, harvest, share” is a microcosm of physical and spiritual space, founded on different values than our neighbors’. Our life is based on abundance and faith—cooperating with creation, not trying to control it.

Our life is based on abundance and faith—cooperating with creation, not trying to control it.
On my porch swing, I wonder: What it would take for my neighbors to see the sacredness of the earth as spiritual place, as God’s own creation? How could I help others see the contrast of these two different ways of living in the world?

Instead of destroying the land of our grandchildren, please, come sit with me for a while, on my porch swing.

This post originally appeared in edited form on the Evangelicals for Social Action blog.

The views, opinions and positions expressed by the authors and those providing comments on these blogs are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or positions of Portland Seminary, George Fox University or any employee thereof. We make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, timeliness, suitability or validity of any information presented by individual authors and/or commenters on our blogs and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries or damages arising from its display or use.