It appears that the average person spends 13 years and 2 months of their adult life at work. If they work consistent overtime, another 1 year and 2 months can be added to that number. On the other hand, it appears we spend only around 328 days in our lifetime socializing with friends. When crunching the numbers, it looks like that average person spends over 11,000 hours over their lifetime at work. According to a Gallup poll only 15% of employees feel engaged at work meaning the remaining 85% of those working either dislike their jobs or are not happy at work. According to authors Robert Kegan and Lisa Lahey in their book An Everyone Culture the majority of people at work spend a great deal of time hiding who they really are while trying to manage other people’s impressions of who we are. Their solution is to look at an organization’s potential through the lens of what they call a DDO (Deliberately Developmental Organization). A DDO makes the holistic developmental potential of everyone in the organization a top priority, as well as a common event.
This concept of concentrating on the growth and potential of everyone in the organization flies in the face of organizations that prioritize the training and growth of only those who prove themselves worthy or those in power, leavening the rest to fend for themselves. It reminds me of an Aesop’s fable. “A Lion, Fox and Ass are all hunting together. They all gathered a huge amount of food and now had to decide how to divide it. The Lion asked the Ass to divide the food. So, the Ass chose to divide the portions equally. This made the Lion, the king of beasts angry and with his paw he killed the Ass. The Lion then asked the Fox to divide the food. The Fox wasted no time. He quickly gave a huge heap to the Lion and only kept a small portion to himself. The Lion asked the Fox, who taught you to divide so fairly? The Fox replies, I learned from the Ass.”
Jesus in the gospel of Matthew is clear that he came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it. (5:17) In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus disrupts the natural assumptions of his listeners six times. Each time he states, “You have heard” then responds, “But I say.” Each time he takes an assumption and disrupts it giving them a new understanding and meaning of what was truly intended. A key to being a Deliberately Developmental Organization appears to be the ability to disrupt the natural assumptions and tendencies of people allowing them to see the deeper meaning and possibilities that lie beneath the surface. According to Kegan and Lahey “Probably every genuinely disruptive idea in the world at first seems to fly in the face of taken-for-granted assumptions about immutable limitations. That is essentially what makes ideas disruptive. They do not disrupt only how we behave; they disrupt how we think.” That’s the glory with certain types of disruptions, they force us to face a side of ourselves we most likely wouldn’t choose to face. Part of growing holistically is learning how to embrace the potential beyond the normal assumptions of life.
 Robert Kegan and Lisa Laskow Lahey, An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Developmental Organization (Boston, Harvard Business Review Press; Boston, 2016), 1
 Robert Kegan and Lisa Laskow Lahey, An Everyone Culture, 3
 Matthew 5: 21,22;27,28;31,31;33,34;38,39; and 43,44.
 Robert Kegan and Lisa Laskow Lahey, An Everyone Culture, 286