I have not had opportunities to speak in a large public forum in the last six months. There is a high possibility that my new assignment will require for me to prepare many speaking engagements. I have created my own ten commandments based on key highlights that I need to implement for my public speaking. These are the areas where as I outline I know I have a weakness in and need to work on.
1. I will avoid the mistake of trying to make mistakes. My response to mistakes defines the audience response. I will practice the material and know how to react when you realize that the material in front of you
2. When preparing for a speaking event, I will
a) Go early
b) Walk around the stage
c) Sit with the audience
d) Eat early
e) Talk to a few in the audience
3. When speaking in front of an audience, I will angle my body so I can have as much eye contact and try and ensure that I keep eye contact with at least 10% of the people
4. I should ensure I have a dense crowd and remember that audiences that audiences can be very forgiving.
5. The four things I must remember that in order to prepare well,
a) Take a strong position in the title
b) Think carefully about your specific audience
c) Make my specifics points to be as concise as possible
d) Know likely counter-argument from an intelligent, expert audience
6. I will practice my material in front of the clock until you get the timing down. I should always end early not matter how late the speaking time
7. I will learn to tell stories, since all communication is a narrative. I will learn to talk about situations that are contextual and relevant. The illustrations must fit in the story we are telling
8. I am naturally a soft spoken person so I will endeavor to speak louder, take stronger positions, behave more aggressively than in ordinary conversations and I should not shrink on stage.
9. Now that teaching is one of my strengths, I will ensure that I focus in a master-apprentice / mentor-protégé relationships. I will ensure that in these teaching relationships,
a) I will make it active and interesting
b) I will star with insights that interest the students who I am teaching
c) I will adapt to how my student reacts to #a) and #b) above
Finding and simplifying insights requires humility, teaching is a compassionate act
10. I need to remember the power in silence. Being silent makes points.